Quick question about capacitors for ps1 rgb

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
krispyfi

Quick question about capacitors for ps1 rgb

Post by krispyfi »

Ok, I while ago I managed to get my psx connected to my pvm-2530 with radio shack parts (and a lot of help from this forum. :-) ) But, the screen is too dark. I heard about using 220uf capacitors on R, B and G, but there's just one problem. I don't understand how or why that works, and therefore I don't know how the capacitors should be polarized. They have a long lead and a short lead. Which goes to the playstation and which goes to the tv?

Ps. These capacitors are large parts. Has anyone done this before? Did you use an enclosure in the middle of your cable, or what? Thanks.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

From what I understand, scart cables use these capacitors in their console cables on the RGB lines. Not sure of why/how it works. I believe 220uf non-polorized caps are much smaller to work with, and are suggested for PSX to arcade monitor use (see http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm ). For polorized, the + end goes toward the console, and the - end toward the monitor.

I've tried doing this on my LM1881 circuit and on one arcade monitor it worked fine, but on another one it had no effect. So not really sure what results will be on a Sony broadcast monitor. If you already have the caps, just try it with negative side going towards the monitor. Otherwise, try asking on gamesx forum:

http://nfg.2y.net/forum/index.php?showforum=5
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

FYI, I noticed no difference on my SCART Supergun when using the 220uF caps. Also, I've examined various Dreamcast SCART RGB cables, and some of them have caps, some don't!
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
elvis

Post by elvis »

Capacitors simply store voltage, and then release it once it's "capacitance" is filled. Think of them as very tiny batteries that discharge quickly.

Putting them into clever places in signal input circuits can both smooth voltage spikes (cleaning up the signal quality) as well as increase the resulting signal strength.

Arcade monitors and TVs often require higher input voltages than PC monitors, hence why the capacitors are needed to up the brightness a little.
krispyfi

Post by krispyfi »

very cool. thanks for the info! I just ordered some smaller capacitors from mauser.

I'll be sure to post pics of the finished product once it's all done.