Raspberry to PVM

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Melt the Guns

Raspberry to PVM

Post by Melt the Guns »

Hi guys, apologies if this has been mentioned before. What do I need to connect a raspberry 4 to my PVM ? Already using and rgb connector for my Saturn, SFC etc, is there a cable I can buy of a similar ilk ?
ldeveraux

Re: Raspberry to PVM

Post by ldeveraux »

Melt the Guns wrote:Hi guys, apologies if this has been mentioned before. What do I need to connect a raspberry 4 to my PVM ? Already using and rgb connector for my Saturn, SFC etc, is there a cable I can buy of a similar ilk ?
https://www.rgb-pi.com/
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

RGB-Pi

RetroTink Ultimate

Pi2SCART

VGA666

Xbox 360 E or Zune 3.5mm composite AV cables w/ a BNC adapter

You can also use a HDMI to VGA (w/ a sync combiner on the output, for turning RGBHV to RGBS) or HDMI to YPbPr. I personally use a Portta HDMI to VGA and it works fine for 240p as long as you've got the right configuration in the config.txt. The bonus of the HDMI DACs is that they provide 24bit RGB rather than the 18bit all GPIO hats (except RetroTink Ultimate) provide!
Melt the Guns

Post by Melt the Guns »

Thanks guys.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I do own the RGB-Pi, but I haven't even tried it out. From what I remember, it's not plug and play. You need to run something within Linux to tell the Pi to use those pins for video.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

ldeveraux wrote:I do own the RGB-Pi, but I haven't even tried it out. From what I remember, it's not plug and play. You need to run something within Linux to tell the Pi to use those pins for video.
Generally speaking, once the image of whatever OS (or something like RetroPi) is loaded onto the Pi's SD card from your regular Windows/Mac computer, you just have to edit a line or so in the config.txt text file to get it to output correctly.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Dochartaigh wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I do own the RGB-Pi, but I haven't even tried it out. From what I remember, it's not plug and play. You need to run something within Linux to tell the Pi to use those pins for video.
Generally speaking, once the image of whatever OS (or something like RetroPi) is loaded onto the Pi's SD card from your regular Windows/Mac computer, you just have to edit a line or so in the config.txt text file to get it to output correctly.
Yep, that's the case for RGB-Pi. One of the easiest CRT-based Pi OS's to install!