MAME question (full screen resolution)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
straight

MAME question (full screen resolution)

Post by straight »

Is there a way to get MAME to play in full screen without stretching the image to fill the screen? I've tried every setting I can find, but I can't figure it out.

What I want to do is set MAME to play full screen at a resolution that's at or just a little higher than the game's resolution, but display the game in it's native resolution without stretching or pixel doubling.

If I have MAME set to go to full screen in 1024x768 resolution and am playing a game with 300x300 resolution, then it should be a small little box in the middle of the screen. But when I try to do that it always stretches the image to fill most of the screen.

If I try running MAME in a window, then it works and gives me a window of the right size.

I'm actually running MAME32 Plus in Windows 98.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

All I can think of is getting a new front end for it

I'm using MAME Classic and it's got lots of complicated looking boxes and pull down menus to select and change resolutions and such
whoisKeel

Post by whoisKeel »

Mame 32 has a display option "Enforce aspect ratio". I'm thinking that should be it...what is an example game you are having this issue with?

Edit: and here's the parameter for plain old command line

Code: Select all

-[no]keepaspect / -[no]ka

Enables aspect ratio enforcement. When this option is on, the game's
	proper aspect ratio (generally 4:3 or 3:4) is enforced, so you get the
	game looking like it should. When running in a window with this option
	on, you can only resize the window to the proper aspect ratio, unless
	you are holding down the CONTROL key. By turning the option off, the
	aspect ratio is allowed to float. In full screen mode, this means that
	all games will stretch to the full screen size (even vertical games).
	In window mode, it means that you can freely resize the window without
	any constraints. The default is ON (-keepaspect).
straight

Post by straight »

Keep aspect ratio means that the shapes aren't distorted by stretching the X more than the Y or vice versa.

What I'm trying to fix is that when I switch to full-screen mode, MAME seems to be using some kind of graphic filter or pixel doubling to make the picture bigger (or maybe it's changing resolutions to match the game but I don't think so).

For instance, Galaga's native resolution is 224 x 288. So if my desktop is 1024x768, and I run Galaga in a window, the window is 224 pixels by 288 pixels, about 1/4 the horizontal and 1/3 the vertical area of my screen.

When I switch to full-screen mode, the game image should be the same size. But instead it doubles in size. Same aspect ratio. I don't think MAME is switching resoultions, I think it's stretching the image bigger, which (for heftier games) I suspect is slowing things down.

In the Display Properties tab, I have:

Enforce Aspect Ratio - CHECK

In the Advanced Properties tab I have:

Use Direct Draw - CHECK
Switch resolutions to fit - NOT CHECKED
Resolution Size - 1024 x 768
Stretch Using Hardware - NOT CHECKED
Classic MAME Scanlines - NOT CHECKED
Effects - NONE
Image Enhancement - NONE

I've fiddled with these options, but haven't found one that will stop MAME from blowing up the image.

I'm having this problem with both FastMAME and MAME32 Plus. I've been fiddling more with the settings in MAME32 Plus because it's easier to change them.

Thanks for the responses so far. I suppose I should track down a MAME board somewhere to ask, but I'm a member here and though somebody here might be able to help.
whoisKeel

Post by whoisKeel »

Ah yes, I completely misunderstood you :) But I got it to work. I can't get Galaga to run tho, video emulation not...emulated correctly at all, but I got it to work with Mars Matrix.

Using standard Mame 32 here's what I have checked (notice that I have set Zoom to 1, default is 2):

It's definitely a small box in the middle, surrounded by black.
straight

Post by straight »

Hmm. Thanks for the tips, but I still can't get it to work right. I tried setting things up like you suggested, but I'm still getting a double-sized picture.

I'm letting it go for now. Maybe I'll fool around with settings more later. Thanks so much for the tips and screenshots.
Neon

Post by Neon »

From what I understand, modern monitors aren't capable of running low-res images fullscreen.
straight

Post by straight »

I can run 320x240 full screen in Kawaks and Raine (on my 1024x768 native flat panel). But MAME keeps wanting to double the screen size.
sininenat

Post by sininenat »

What happens when you set Resolution size to 'Auto'?