New RetroTek 'VGA' (multiple frequency DE-15) + SCART switch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

New RetroTek 'VGA' (multiple frequency DE-15) + SCART switch

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.retrotekshop.com/products?pn=SVGASW6P

Looks like a pretty cool unit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This switch is a 6 channel input, 1 channel output with auto switching select. Each channel can accept either RGB SCART input (with integrated audio on the connector) or separated RGB input with audio over RCA connectors. The RGB input can accept either HV Sync or Composite Sync at any resolution, while the SCART input can accept either 15KHz or 31KHz video using composite video, composite sync, or sync on green. The switch drives all video outputs simultaneously when an input is detected in auto mode or when in manual mode.

Input Sync Compatibility (SCART):

Composite Video
Composite Sync (3.3V Only)
Sync on Green
15.7KHz or 31KHz

Input Sync Compatibility (VGA):

Horizontal/Vertical Sync (3.3V to 5V)
Composite Sync (3.3V to 5V)
15.7KHz to 64KHz
Video Output Board:

VGA Output with selectable sync output - Can output Compsite Sync or HV Sync
Component Video - Same specs as VGACTV2
S-Video
Composite Video
All video outputs can be used simultaneously"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One step closer to the future I dream of where 'console to DE-15 + 2RCA' cables are readily available for all & not a super expensive specialty order type of situation (yes, I know I could stop being a weiner and make my own cables)
fernan1234

Re: New RetroTek 'VGA' (multiple frequency DE-15) + SCART sw

Post by fernan1234 »

This is more than just a switch if it can convert RGB inputs to S-video, composite, and component outputs!

That alone makes it pretty interesting.

And yes, hopefully this can be a gateway for people to drop SCART in favor of DE15 more and more for RGB needs.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

fernan1234 wrote:This is more than just a switch if it can convert RGB inputs to S-video, composite, and component outputs!

And yes, hopefully this can be a gateway for people to drop SCART in favor of DE15 more and more for RGB needs.
My assumption was that it just pulls composite/svid from RGB SCART cables wired to do any of those three/SCART cables specifically wired for YPbPr (or one of the two previously mentioned non-RGB signals). Or just connecting via a socket-adapter.

I assume the same about the DE-15 ports, with either a DE-15 to female 3RCA for YPbPr or one of these guys for CV/YC:

I'll have to double check on that... and see if the thing indeed does transcode/encode/decode etc! That would be quite the feat

EDIT: Double checked, the DE-15 ports are RGB-only. But the SCART ports are just like any other - they'll chow down on any signal (allergic to RGBHV tho :P )
Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 »

Just to clarify is transcodes any VGA/SCART source to component, s-video, and composite. It's not just some kind of wire/breakout connection.

It also convert Composite Video/Composite Sync to HV Sync and converters HV Sync to Composite Sync (selectable at front panel).
kitty666cats wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:This is more than just a switch if it can convert RGB inputs to S-video, composite, and component outputs!

My assumption was that it just pulls composite/svid from RGB SCART cables wired to do any of those three/SCART cables specifically wired for YPbPr (or one of the two previously mentioned non-RGB signals). Or just connecting via a socket-adapter.

I assume the same about the DE-15 ports, with either a DE-15 to female 3RCA for YPbPr or one of these guys for CV/YC:

I'll have to double check on that... and see if the thing indeed does transcode/encode/decode etc! That would be quite the feat

EDIT: Double checked, the DE-15 ports are RGB-only. But the SCART ports are just like any other - they'll chow down on any signal (allergic to RGBHV tho :P )
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fusion916 wrote:Just to clarify is transcodes any VGA/SCART source to component, s-video, and composite. It's not just some kind of wire/breakout connection.
In that case it would indeed be both a switch and a transcoder. The latter makes it pretty revolutionary, assuming it does the transcoding well and does not alter the scan rate like all other video transcoders I've seen which output a butchered interlaced 15khz signal when they transcode low res 15khz, since those were usually made for video content (and more frequently to transcode PC signals to SD video gear) and not old game systems.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Any word on the sync voltage tolerances?
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

I'm always amazed at what hobbyists can produce. So if this is a true transcoder does that mean feeding it a 480P component video signal will give me the option of 480P composite video? I know the use cases are pretty slim but I'm sure there's a 480P game with dithering that could use some creative color smearing for interesting results. Any idea what encoder they're using?
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 »

It just transcodes, no scaling. 15KHz, 15KHz out on VGA, Component, S-video and Composite video.
fernan1234 wrote:
Fusion916 wrote:Just to clarify is transcodes any VGA/SCART source to component, s-video, and composite. It's not just some kind of wire/breakout connection.
In that case it would indeed be both a switch and a transcoder. The latter makes it pretty revolutionary, assuming it does the transcoding well and does not alter the scan rate like all other video transcoders I've seen which output a butchered interlaced 15khz signal when they transcode low res 15khz, since those were usually made for video content (and more frequently to transcode PC signals to SD video gear) and not old game systems.
Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 »

3.3V or 5V sync (composite or HV sync) on VGA input. Composite video or 3.3V Sync on SCART input.
nmalinoski wrote:Any word on the sync voltage tolerances?
Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 »

Not quite.

VGA and Component Output output goes from 15Khz to ~64KHz (1280x1024 VGA), but the S-Video and Composite outputs are 15KHz only.
mrsmiley381 wrote:I'm always amazed at what hobbyists can produce. So if this is a true transcoder does that mean feeding it a 480P component video signal will give me the option of 480P composite video? I know the use cases are pretty slim but I'm sure there's a 480P game with dithering that could use some creative color smearing for interesting results. Any idea what encoder they're using?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

How does this switch handle composite video subcarrier switching from pal to ntsc?

Gbs can downscale to 240p 15k and it's cheap.

Would be handy if this switch had a patch bay to add a scaler to the loop for composite svideo.