I need some help my OSSC and DVDO VP50!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
L8RSK8R

I need some help my OSSC and DVDO VP50!

Post by L8RSK8R »

I recently just got my hands on a DVDO VP50 to use in conjunction with my OSSC, due it taking care of the OSSC's weaknesses. The only issue being that I don't know how to work the VP50 by itself. I plugged it in and managed to get everything setup enough to have the VP50's menu on my screen, but when I turn on my connected PS2 the screen goes black and nothing happens. I'm not really sure what the problem is and there's no real guide on how it's suppose to be setup, so it's possible I may just not have something right. I'd like to mention this is just the VP50 and PS2, I did try connecting the OSSC to with an HDMI to see if something different would happen but the problem persisted. If someone could help me out with how this is supposed to be setup I would really appreciate the help!
Fudoh

Re: I need some help my OSSC and DVDO VP50!

Post by Fudoh »

Your PS2 is connected through component? Is the console set to component?

When you get that black screen, hit the info button to see whether the DVDO sees a signal or not.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

You can also try using a regular composite cable to see whether the component output is set to YPbPr or RGB. If it's set to RGB, that would explain a no-sync condition; flip it to YPbPr, then swap back to the component cable.
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

Yes, I am using component cables with the PS2.
Do you really think switching it from RGB will work?
When I tried connecting the OSSC to the DVDO with an hdmi the same problem happened, and I'm curious if the problem maybe something else.
Can you tell me how this is all supposed to be connected?
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

Do you have a remote control for the vp50?
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

I don't have a remote for the VP50.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

You have to select the correct input on the VP50. This is in the menus somewhere. If you have the remote there's a button for each input. It makes it a lot easier.

So if you connect the PS2 to the VP50 that'll be through comp1 or 2 input. Comp 1 is the top component input on the back of the unit. The rca ports on the back are colour coded so you should get the component cables in correctly. One of your audio cables might be red - don't plug that into the red component input by mistake. Select the correct component input from the VP50 input menu.

Once the correct input is selected you should get a picture.Then you have to select the audio input in the menu seperately. This will be stereo through the phono jacks most likely. Then select Game Mode 2 in the VP50 deinterlacing menu. This gets a very nice picture. Also be sure to turn cadence detection off in the VP50 menu - apparently this reduces input lag significantly.

If you get no picture, for a sanity check you could connect the PS2 to the VP50 using a composite cable and selecting the composite input. The picture will be shocking but it's a good test because there's less to get wrong getting a picture with just the one composite wire.

If you connect the OSSC to the VP50, then you'll be using one of the 4 HDMI inputs. Select the correct one from the VP50 input menu. Select audio from the same HDMI input (assuming your OSSC does audio as well). Plug the PS2 into the OSSC component inputs and press 2 on the OSSC remote for AV2 component input. The OSSC sync light should go green. You should get a picture through the VP50.

If you use the OSSC and the PS2 try setting interlace pass through in the OSSC menu and Game Mode 2 from the VP50 deinterlacing menu. Also check that cadence detection is off again. Each input on the VP50 has its settings saved independently.

If you don't have an option to disable cadence detection you need to update the VP50 firmware using a serial cable and an older computer. That's a bit of fun for another time.
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

I actually really appreciate your reply man!
I've actually managed to figure most of this out but for some reason I still just receive a black screen when going to the connected inputs. Like if I have it on a currently unused input things, I'll have a blue screen with all the setting but as soon as I use the connected input, bam nothing.
It's like that for component, composite, and hdmi!
Maybe it has do with setting like h phase and stuff? I know when I messed with setting like that on the OSSC my tv would stop picking up the signal.
Also regarding the cadence, where would I find that option? I know I may have to update it, but I'd appreciate the help.
Any reccomendation on the wire btw?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I would still urge you to check the info screen. This way you can check what the DVDO actually sees on that input and it makes troubleshooting a lot easier. Your OSSC can output a greyramp without a source connected at all. Try that as well. Did you factory reset the VP50 beforehand?
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

I did in fact reset the DVDO.
Also, I can't seem to check the info while being on the connected input, due to the screen going black, none of the menu pops up on the t.v.
I have tried to use the LCD instead when this happens, but all I can read is the beginning text, which is just the brand and stuff. I don't have a remote, but Idk if that would really impact that problem at all, but something to note I guess.
I probably need to update the device if that will help with the compatibility.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I have tried to use the LCD instead when this happens, but all I can read is the beginning text, which is just the brand and stuff
You should always be able to use the face buttons on the unit itself to work the menus, if you press menu does nothing happen? If so, I'd say there's something more seriously wrong with it.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I've had the same thing happen with both of my DVDO devices and couldn't get them working. I have the VP50 and the iScan+ and get the same issue where no matter what I try, no output to the screen. Not only that, but the menu doesn't appear either. I think I solved it with the VP50 by factory resetting, but no luck with the iScan+.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

could be a TV/DVDO incompability though.

If you say that can't even get a menu on screen with that particular source activated, then for some reason the handshake between the TV and the processor has failed in that moment.

Things to try:

- unlock the output refresh rate for that input: framerate -> 60Hz -> unlock
- is the DVDO responsive via its front menu while you're in that "black screen" situation ?
- try an analogue output. You can set the BNCs to output component.
L8RSK8R

Post by L8RSK8R »

Okay, I tried everything you said and here are the results.

Messing with the framerate and unlocking it did cause black bars on the side of the screen to appear, but that is pretty much all that happened, doing else with the framerate would cause my TV to list it as an incompatible signal. So I'll have to try and mess with it on another TV to see if that's the problem.

The screen does work while I'm in the black screen, I just can't see anything more while checking the info that is the problem.

I took some some pictures of all my settings and can leave a link to like imgur or something if that might help.