X Station PS1 ODE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

Re: X Station PS1 ODE

Post by Syntax »

Thanks guys :) put my OCD to rest nice and fast.
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Been 2 weeks now and I still haven't gotten a response from castlemania about my xstation box arriving empty. Tried reaching out on multiple sites and haven't gotten any kind of reply.

Hate being a pain in the ass but getting worried it won't be resolved now.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

RottenToTheGore wrote:Been 2 weeks now and I still haven't gotten a response from castlemania about my xstation box arriving empty. Tried reaching out on multiple sites and haven't gotten any kind of reply.

Hate being a pain in the ass but getting worried it won't be resolved now.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
You just got an empty box
As in the original package was shipped but no xstation?

If you used PayPal open a dispute
RottenToTheGore

Shelcoof wrote:

Yeah. Got the bubble mailer with a castlemania sticker and an xstation box, but nothing inside the box.

Hate to go the dispute route as I do want the xstation and don't mind waiting if they'd just acknowledge my problem. But I'll probably have to do that soon.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

That's awfully odd that they haven't responded. They're a very reputable site, so I find that really weird.
RottenToTheGore

TooBeaucoup wrote:That's awfully odd that they haven't responded. They're a very reputable site, so I find that really weird.
Same, that's why I'm only now getting worried.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

hit them up on twitter and they'll get you taken care of.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Does anyone know what pin 73 does on IC701? It's adjacent to pin 74 (required), and my hand slipped and I completely ruined the leg and the trace. All other legs actually required as per the installation guide were lifted with zero issues.

The CXD2545Q datasheet indicates it's for "WFCK," but I'm not sure how much it matters as the Xstation seems to be working 100%.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

RottenToTheGore wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

Yeah. Got the bubble mailer with a castlemania sticker and an xstation box, but nothing inside the box.

Hate to go the dispute route as I do want the xstation and don't mind waiting if they'd just acknowledge my problem. But I'll probably have to do that soon.
My Xstation order is just a city away waiting for delivery

I hope I don't run into any problems like you

Sorry your going through that

Open a dispute and just tell them you want the product and nothing else
Listai

Post by Listai »

RottenToTheGore wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

As someone that had a back and forth with Matt from Castlemania games trying to get a solution I'll just say hold off if you can. He's a great guy that is passionate about his business and looking after his customers but I think he's taken on too much and struggles to keep up - hit him up via DM on twitter and he'll get back to you.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

Listai wrote:
RottenToTheGore wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

As someone that had a back and forth with Matt from Castlemania games trying to get a solution I'll just say hold off if you can. He's a great guy that is passionate about his business and looking after his customers but I think he's taken on too much and struggles to keep up - hit him up via DM on twitter and he'll get back to you.

100% this

He's helped me out a few times with things for some of my customers.

Castlemania probably isn't nearly as large of an operation as some imagine it to be, but they are always friendly and helpful.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

bahamutfan64 wrote:Does anyone know what pin 73 does on IC701? It's adjacent to pin 74 (required), and my hand slipped and I completely ruined the leg and the trace. All other legs actually required as per the installation guide were lifted with zero issues.

The CXD2545Q datasheet indicates it's for "WFCK," but I'm not sure how much it matters as the Xstation seems to be working 100%.
Based on this thread it sounds like if the PSX is working for you, you don't have to worry about it.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Thanks a lot for the confirmation!
RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

*snip*
Last edited by RoboArmy on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

RoboArmy wrote:I think I was in the very first batch of shipping and I have no idea if I'm ever gonna get mine or not. I'd have it shipped to a friend in the states first if I knew there was no tracking past US soil for it. Fun stuff. :cry:

Not that this was an issue with Castlemania mind you... just our incredibly shitty customs. I'll eventually get it... probably.
Tracking for Canadians at least though.
alf717

Post by alf717 »

Got mine in this past weekend. Install didn't work on my first PU-18 board so I moved it to the next one. This is my first ODE and it is very nice. My only issue is that it doesn't seem to like my micro SD card which is a Samsung 128GB Evo Select from Amazon. I've been playing Mega Man X4 on it a lot for testing and it randomly cuts out on streamed audio and it had a bad skip / stutter during Zero's ending. My ripped ISO's MD5 checksum did match up with Redump's so I don't know if my micro SD is bad or if Samsung cards have issues. No clue right now but I'm gonna keep testing with a PNY Class 4 for now and see if it continues.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

alf717 wrote:Got mine in this past weekend. Install didn't work on my first PU-18 board so I moved it to the next one. This is my first ODE and it is very nice. My only issue is that it doesn't seem to like my micro SD card which is a Samsung 128GB Evo Select from Amazon. I've been playing Mega Man X4 on it a lot for testing and it randomly cuts out on streamed audio and it had a bad skip / stutter during Zero's ending. My ripped ISO's MD5 checksum did match up with Redump's so I don't know if my micro SD is bad or if Samsung cards have issues. No clue right now but I'm gonna keep testing with a PNY Class 4 for now and see if it continues.
try formatting your SD card with the official sd card formatting tool if you haven't already. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
alf717

Post by alf717 »

cyborc wrote:
alf717 wrote:Got mine in this past weekend. Install didn't work on my first PU-18 board so I moved it to the next one. This is my first ODE and it is very nice. My only issue is that it doesn't seem to like my micro SD card which is a Samsung 128GB Evo Select from Amazon. I've been playing Mega Man X4 on it a lot for testing and it randomly cuts out on streamed audio and it had a bad skip / stutter during Zero's ending. My ripped ISO's MD5 checksum did match up with Redump's so I don't know if my micro SD is bad or if Samsung cards have issues. No clue right now but I'm gonna keep testing with a PNY Class 4 for now and see if it continues.
try formatting your SD card with the official sd card formatting tool if you haven't already. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
I have that program installed and I also tried guiformat to force FAT32 instead of using exFAT. I still got audio drop outs with X4. The PNY made it the whole way through the game without a single issue. So either the xStation just doesn't like Samsung cards or I have a failing card. I did buy two of the same card so I'll try that one next.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

alf717 wrote:
cyborc wrote:
I have that program installed and I also tried guiformat to force FAT32 instead of using exFAT. I still got audio drop outs with X4. The PNY made it the whole way through the game without a single issue. So either the xStation just doesn't like Samsung cards or I have a failing card. I did buy two of the same card so I'll try that one next.
Although, I realize the devices have nothing to do with each other and are designed differently, the MODE from TerraOnion doesn't seem to like Samsung SD cards either for the Saturn or Dreamcast and TerraOnion recommends against them. That certainly doesn't prove anything in regards to your troubles, but it does seem curious that their ODE doesn't seem to like them either.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Sounds similar to issues other people have had with Samsung cards:

I see Sandisk Ultras being recommended on the discord.

There's a tool to check your SD card linear read here.
alf717

Post by alf717 »

Gunstar wrote:
Sounds similar to issues other people have had with Samsung cards:

I see Sandisk Ultras being recommended on the discord.

There's a tool to check your SD card linear read here.
Thank you all for the info this is very helpful. Is that discord private or can anyone join? I tried my best to find info and I am glad I stopped in here. Both Samsung cards failed my X4 test. I am using the second card in an SD2SP2 for Gamecube I think I might just return both and go with SanDisk.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Anyone can join, the XStation discord is located here: classic gaming discord
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Anyone know if it's possible to add an in-game reset to the XStation? It's probably been discussed, but there's so many topics on different sites, it's tough to track down specifics. It sure would be nice to not have to get my ass up off of the couch. LOL! Either through a firmware update or additional wiring from the XStation board to the PS1 motherboard.
Kez

Post by Kez »

There is an IGR mod that works with x station.

https://github.com/pyroesp/PlayStation-1-Reset-Mod
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Kez wrote:There is an IGR mod that works with x station.

https://github.com/pyroesp/PlayStation-1-Reset-Mod
I actually ordered one of these boards about an hour before I posted my question. I just figured I'd check to see if anyone thought it was possible on the actual XStation before I install the board. :lol:
RottenToTheGore

Guess I should update on my issue of getting an empty box. It took a few months of checking in every so often, but it finally arrived last week. Plus Ryan was nice enough to give me $10 in store credit.

Though I ended up getting a MODE for the Saturn right around the same time, and now I might just swap that between the PSX and Saturn because I love having so much storage space by using a HDD.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Well this is a nice development
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

That's pretty cool. I'm gonna stick to having two separate consoles for now. So far I haven't found any reason to hook up the one with a working laser unit.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

fernan1234 wrote:That's pretty cool. I'm gonna stick to having two separate consoles for now. So far I haven't found any reason to hook up the one with a working laser unit.
Seconding that. The whole reason I got the xstation was to resurrect my original scph-1001 with bad laser, owned since 96'ish. Either I spend the money on a replacement laser or I spend my money on an xstation. Still have a fully function scph-5501 purchased for a reasonable price at the local retro vg store as well, to run disks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Looks like there is an issue with the original SD ext. mount
Ryan of Castlemainia Games brought to my attention a potential issue with the SD extension mount, especially on 100x systems. There were a number of units getting sent in for warranty repairs/replacements over the SD card slot not functioning. The common factor between these failures was the use of my SD Extension Mount.
lasbear link to full article