X Station PS1 ODE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gunstar

Re: X Station PS1 ODE

Post by Gunstar »

yoZe wrote:Is it normal to pay 51$ for shipping to Europe to order an xstation ?!
No because at that price it's just no way as far as I'm concerned.

Strange, I paid $19 for delivery to the UK last year. Shoot them a message to check if something is up.

EDIT: Mine was 'International - Customs Paid' for what it's worth.
Last edited by Gunstar on Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

yoZe wrote:Is it normal to pay 51$ for shipping to Europe to order an xstation ?!
No because at that price it's just no way as far as I'm concerned.

Depends how much you want it
Shipping wasn't cheap to Canada either
Kez

Post by Kez »

The shipping type says right there, "DHL - Duties Paid". That means they are collecting the import VAT up front. So about $20 of that is gonna be VAT.. then I guess admin fees and the actual shipping cost.

There are a bunch of changes coming in on July 1 regarding shipping into the EU, so perhaps it's linked to that.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Something up with France. UK and Germany still show up as $19 'International - Customs Paid'
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

I sent them an email to point out the problem but no response.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Kez wrote:There are a bunch of changes coming in on July 1 regarding shipping into the EU, so perhaps it's linked to that.
I got an e-mail from La Poste recently about that, referencing this page, though I'd posit what Kez said about the import fees being paid upfront might be your explanation. I'm used to DHL when ordering from Amazon Japan and I always have to pay the fees at the ordering stage.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Check your address is entered correctly, DHL uses a fall-back rate if it can't find a live rate.

Under the new EU rules sellers should be collecting VAT at point of purchase, not letting the couriers do it.

For the UK you have to collect VAT if the order is under £135, otherwise it's taxed at the border... (idk who came up with that either).

I think it's going to take a while for folks to adjust to this so expect some choppy waters for a month or two.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
yoZe

Post by yoZe »

NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Got my XStation today, it's wonderful.

That said, having issues where the game will either hang or not play some audio for multi-track titles like DoDonPachi or Tomb Raider. Any advice?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

NormalFish wrote:Got my XStation today, it's wonderful.

That said, having issues where the game will either hang or not play some audio for multi-track titles like DoDonPachi or Tomb Raider. Any advice?
This shouldn't be happening, unless there's been a regression on the latest firmware, which I would doubt. Are you using Redump images?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

NormalFish wrote:Got my XStation today, it's wonderful.

I've failed on two installs
And successfully installed two

Does this happen to all games or some?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

fernan1234 wrote:This shouldn't be happening, unless there's been a regression on the latest firmware, which I would doubt. Are you using Redump images?
Shelcoof wrote:I've failed on two installs
And successfully installed two

Does this happen to all games or some?
Welp, rest assured. User error.

A couple weeks back I had renamed my entire collection of PSX backups in preparation for the xstation, but I hadn't actually changed the location the .cue files were pointing to. Fixed that, and the issues seem to have been resolved.

That said, for the future, anyone know of a program to fix issues like this in bulk? I went manually and edited each one, but since they're really just text files it might be possible to do it automatically?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Notepad++
Find and replace in files function.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Syntax wrote:Notepad++
Find and replace in files function.
This is what I did, but you still have to manually open each file, verify what needs changing, enter the correct info in to the find field, and then save and close. Not looking forward to when my neurosis inevitably drives me to fix all the single-bin games' cue files.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You can search for the first string inbetween " " and replace it with the filename of said file .bin ect

That will batch complete your task in one go.

https://community.notepad-plus-plus.org ... aragraph/4
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

I have been playing around with this and it works really well. Only thing is i have a pal console and i'm not fully sure what's happening when running ntsc games. I thought ntsc games force 60hz so in my case running at pal 60. How ever i noticed something was off when trying to play an old rhythm game. The game speed was slower than the music making it out of sync with the tempo of the gameplay. Seems like it's running at 50hz even though i should be 60hz. The pal version of the same game worked fine.
Do pal consoles run at 50hz no matter what? Would this be what duel frequency oscillator solves?
Kez

Post by Kez »

The short answer is yes, a DFO will fix that problem.

The games aren't running at 50hz. The vertical refresh is a multiple of the crystal which is different between PAL and NTSC machines. When playing NTSC games, the PS1 is in NTSC 'mode' but the crystal is very slightly slower, resulting in 59.28hz instead of 59.82hz. For most games this isn't a big deal but rhythm games are affected.
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

Kez wrote:The short answer is yes, a DFO will fix that problem.

The games aren't running at 50hz. The vertical refresh is a multiple of the crystal which is different between PAL and NTSC machines. When playing NTSC games, the PS1 is in NTSC 'mode' but the crystal is very slightly slower, resulting in 59.28hz instead of 59.82hz. For most games this isn't a big deal but rhythm games are affected.
Thanks that's great to know. I might get a DFO anyway as they look like a cheap and fairly easy install.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Installed the XStation in a Japanese 5500 model last night. Didn't have any problems with the pin lifting, accidentally heated up some of the neighboring pins but thankfully didn't bump them. Added some flux and went over them again with the soldering iron to make sure there were no bridges.

Didn't have time to test out too many games, but everything booted up fine. I did get some audio skipping on one or two games, seemingly around the point where a stage track is about to end and repeat. This was with a game I ripped myself, so will maybe try the Redump version.

Looks like a couple other people had similar problems and reported them on Github, although they were seemingly using older firmwares (I'm on 1.30). Looks like the SD card is a possible culprit, mine is a Transcend TS128GUSD300S (UHS-I Class10), not sure if that's good enough but will first try re-formatting.
DragonQuarter

Post by DragonQuarter »

Is there any chance the X Station will eventually support SCPH-7001 models or should I just look for a SCPH-5501 model?
jd213

Post by jd213 »

jd213 wrote:I did get some audio skipping on one or two games, seemingly around the point where a stage track is about to end and repeat. This was with a game I ripped myself, so will maybe try the Redump version.

Looks like a couple other people had similar problems and reported them on Github, although they were seemingly using older firmwares (I'm on 1.30). Looks like the SD card is a possible culprit, mine is a Transcend TS128GUSD300S (UHS-I Class10), not sure if that's good enough but will first try re-formatting.
Still getting some audio skipping after a re-format, and it's on both Redump and my own rips. Seems to even happen on non-redbook audio (pretty sure Rockman 2 doesn't use it, at any rate). Also seems to happen at random, not just at the end of a track. Only seems to happen about once every 20 minutes or so on average, so it's not too bad. Guess I'll get another microSD card eventually.
DragonQuarter wrote:Is there any chance the X Station will eventually support SCPH-7001 models or should I just look for a SCPH-5501 model?
I'd like support for more models myself, particularly for PU-7 motherboards as I've got a JP SCPH-1000 that doesn't recognize any discs except audio CDs after a failed modchip install I did years ago before I really knew how to solder.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

jd213 wrote:
jd213 wrote:I did get some audio skipping on one or two games, seemingly around the point where a stage track is about to end and repeat. This was with a game I ripped myself, so will maybe try the Redump version.

Still getting some audio skipping after a re-format, and it's on both Redump and my own rips. Seems to even happen on non-redbook audio (pretty sure Rockman 2 doesn't use it, at any rate). Also seems to happen at random, not just at the end of a track. Only seems to happen about once every 20 minutes or so on average, so it's not too bad. Guess I'll get another microSD card eventually.
DragonQuarter wrote:Is there any chance the X Station will eventually support SCPH-7001 models or should I just look for a SCPH-5501 model?
I'd like support for more models myself, particularly for PU-7 motherboards as I've got a JP SCPH-1000 that doesn't recognize any discs except audio CDs after a failed modchip install I did years ago before I really knew how to solder.
Don't the PU-7 boards have the original GPU that has issues with textures being downsampled to 3 or 5 bit color instead of 8 bit or something like that? Been a long time since I've seen anyone talk about it but I remember people showing screen shots of games on launch Playstations and then later revisions and the later revisions looked much, much better. And I thought it was fixed in later PU-8 and newer chips. I could be wrong, this is all from old memory so someone please correct me if I am wrong. It may be the case that the scph-1000 isn't really worth being repaired with an x-station.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

PearlJammzz wrote:Don't the PU-7 boards have the original GPU that has issues with textures being downsampled to 3 or 5 bit color instead of 8 bit or something like that? Been a long time since I've seen anyone talk about it but I remember people showing screen shots of games on launch Playstations and then later revisions and the later revisions looked much, much better. And I thought it was fixed in later PU-8 and newer chips. I could be wrong, this is all from old memory so someone please correct me if I am wrong. It may be the case that the scph-1000 isn't really worth being repaired with an x-station.
Is that the same issue as the "rainbowing" problem that PU-7 boards supposedly have? Those launch consoles also had problems with FVM skipping, but of course that's not relevant for us with an X-Station.

And jd213, please try to post a follow up here after you get to try a different SD card. I don't think I've heard of issues when using Samsung and Sandisk SD cards, so those may be good ones to test.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

PearlJammzz wrote: Don't the PU-7 boards have the original GPU that has issues with textures being downsampled to 3 or 5 bit color instead of 8 bit or something like that? Been a long time since I've seen anyone talk about it but I remember people showing screen shots of games on launch Playstations and then later revisions and the later revisions looked much, much better. And I thought it was fixed in later PU-8 and newer chips. I could be wrong, this is all from old memory so someone please correct me if I am wrong. It may be the case that the scph-1000 isn't really worth being repaired with an x-station.
I remember seeing the comparison pics, but can't find them now either. Wasn't it still present on PU-8 models? But I play mostly 2D games so I probably won't even notice if textures look slightly worse.

Edit: Found this thread, which has a post that says:
Yes. The only consoles that have the old GPU/VRAM are SCPH-1000, SCPH-3000 and early SCPH-1001 and SCPH-1002

SCPH-5000 and later SCPH-1001 and SCPH-1002 have the new GPU/SGRAM as do all the later consoles.
So my PU-7 will have the old GPU (not a big deal to me personally), but I assume that late PU-8s and later will be fine.
fernan1234 wrote: And jd213, please try to post a follow up here after you get to try a different SD card. I don't think I've heard of issues when using Samsung and Sandisk SD cards, so those may be good ones to test.
Will do, thanks.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

hey guys, it's weird but the Multidisc Option won't work on my xstation. I tested Star Wars - Rebel Assault II - The Hidden Empire with a level password. on the "Insert Disc 2" nothing happen when I open/close my CD Tray.

I thought maybe the Lid Switch is broken/dirty but cleaning didn't help either. But if the switch is broken the ps1 wouldn't boot to xstation and just in the bios?

Could this be related also into a bad Xstation Installation ?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Does the machine boot to BIOS if you turn it on with the tray open?
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Kez wrote:Does the machine boot to BIOS if you turn it on with the tray open?
yeah it does
Kez

Post by Kez »

It's probably not your lid switch then.. Can you walk me through the process you go through for queuing up the discs and starting the game?
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Kez wrote:It's probably not your lid switch then.. Can you walk me through the process you go through for queuing up the discs and starting the game?
I only tested a few "games" or bootdiscs for forcing video modes.

well i choose disc 1+2 by selecting the multidisc option in the xstation mainmenu then pressing "full load" and booting up disc 1.

I found a easy game to test with was as I mentioned : Star Wars - Rebel Assault II - The Hidden Empire by entering a level password and the choosing a later level that asked me for Disc 2. On the "Insert Disc 2" nothing happen when I open/close my CD Tray.

if you have any other games that are quick to test (not that I have to beat disc 1 first :D ) i'm upto...
Kez

Post by Kez »

Okay, I tested this out and it worked fine for me.
In XStation menu:
Press O for Multidisc on Disc 1 of Star Wars RA2
Press O on Disc 2
Now the discs have a "1" and "2" next to them
Press X for done, then X again for fast load.

Then I booted the game, entered a passcode, tried to play level 15 and was prompted to change disc.
Opened tray, closed tray and then it checked the new "disc" and everything worked.

I tried it with full load as well and that also worked.

Do you have a PSDigital?