Gentlemen, check your PSPs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Gentlemen, check your PSPs

Post by Fudoh »

currently trending on Twitter Japan: https://bit.ly/2ZYsQHm

And indeed I just grabbed my red PSP-2000 and it had its battery cover blown from an inflated accu.
Spacemonkey

Re: Gentlemen, check your PSPs

Post by Spacemonkey »

Yeah, happened to me on a system I didn't use for a while about a year ago. Cover popped off.
My other system that I charged and used once in a while was OK.
Finding decent replacement batteries was a PITA, bought some off Amazon and had to go through different brands until I got one that was OK.
Some had really poor capacity, others would die after a couple charges.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

do you know if PSPs run with an AC adapter without a battery in the system?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't understand Japanese, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for here.

I see a couple of cracked batteries in the responses that don't look good, but aren't batteries supposed to look like the ones in the top picture? Am I overlooking something?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

somebody posted a blown PSP accu and people started checking their own PSPs, which resulted in an endless stream of photos with freshly discovered blown PSP batteries.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Fudoh wrote:do you know if PSPs run with an AC adapter without a battery in the system?
It does.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

The bloating battery issue is pretty common, I've seen it a fair bit including with my own systems after encountering the issue myself many years ago.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Thanks Fudoh.

I've checked mine (3.6v 1800mAh) and it looks alright, but I'll keep an eye open on it.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I had a red GoW PSP that was in storage for 4 years. When I pulled it back out, I couldn't find the battery cover (which had Kratos on it).

I thought someone had taken it, but then realized the battery had swelled up and popped it off. Cover was in the packing box, but hidden.

All OK, but now I need a replacement battery.

I should have put out a PSA on it! I thought it was b/c my PSP was stored in a hot climate, but I guess it's just a matter of time for the all.

The REAL question is, what's going to happen to the Vita shell when this happens? Broken Vitas all around?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Konsolkongen wrote:
Fudoh wrote:do you know if PSPs run with an AC adapter without a battery in the system?
It does.
The system updater refuses to run unless the battery is detected and at least 50% charged though.

Has anyone tried to open a puffed original battery yet to replace the lithium cell itself, keeping the electronics part?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The plastic is super brittle and cracks easily. The battery cell is also glued in place.

https://imgur.com/a/vHfRCjm

EDIT: Thought I uploaded all three images.

https://imgur.com/a/WmTXOyq
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I hadn't used my PSP 3.0 in around 7 years so I just took it out of my drawer to check, and yes, there was this big protrusion on the back right, I pressed the battery holder and it flew off. The battery is huge and inflated, I disposed of it in the recyclable battery bag at once. The battery cover fits back on and isn't cracked or noticeably warped, but gosh...

I always had it in a temperature and humidity controlled environment, but apparently makes no difference.

Does Sony still sell replacement batteries for this? I'm guessing unlikely.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I thought this was common knowledge too.

While you're at it, check the clock capacitor on your Xbox and check that you don't have leaking AA/AAA batteries in any of your devices.

And charge all your Li-ion battery devices. They die if they run out of charge for too long.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Weirdly that psp 1000 that I had, seemingly its battery was bloated a bit, but when I got 2 (two!) replacement batteries, both were rejected by psp, and only that seemingly bloated battery worked. Very strange yeah. Most notable problem with that psp was that door couldn't be closed tight anymore so sometimes psp switches off randomly
parodius

Post by parodius »

Same issue on my PSP-3000. Thanks for the heads up.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

They do, but it's very finicky. I remember it not being an issue 16 years ago with the 1000.
But i've had nothing but terrible luck with PSPs in the last decade. From a few 2000s and a 3000 that all have trouble getting the power adapter to even register. Let alone letting it boot without a battery. I've replaced power sockets with new ones and still have the same issue.
I've also had a blown up battery just like this one as well. Sucks because third party ones are supposedly all crap.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

I don't mind being tethered to a wall outlet to use my PSP, but without a battery, my PSP will lose power if I wiggle the cable. If someone could design a 3D-printed add-on to secure the cable, that would be swell. And by swell, I mean cool. 8)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Anybody knows if the same problem applies to the PSP Go?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

If it has a lithium battery, any type or size, it's at risk of inflating like this as it ages.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Udderdude wrote:If it has a lithium battery, any type or size, it's at risk of inflating like this as it ages.
What? So same thing can happen to DualShock 3, 4 controllers, Wii U Pro Controller or Switch Pro Controller or 3DS Consoles?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Lawfer wrote:
Udderdude wrote:If it has a lithium battery, any type or size, it's at risk of inflating like this as it ages.
What? So same thing can happen to DualShock 3, 4 controllers, Wii U Pro Controller or Switch Pro Controller or 3DS Consoles?
Theoretically yes. Hopefully it doesn't happen though.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:
The DualShock 3 and 4 batteries aren't proprietary, are they? I know the manuals for at least the DualShock 3 detail how to remove the bottom shell and replace the battery, but I'm not sure where to source new ones.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

nmalinoski wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
The DualShock 3 and 4 batteries aren't proprietary, are they?
Not sure, but what I was unsure about if these will inflate inside the control and break/crush stuff as a result as they do for the PSP and possibly the DS/DSi.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect this to happen to li-ion batteries stored properly with a 40-50% SoC, in so far as any old, used li-ion battery can be relied upon to hold up in the long run.
mine were definitely stored in best possible conditions, still turned up like this. Fun fact: after checking my PSP, I grabbed my GBA-SP which also wasn't touched (or charged) for years and it flawlessly even turned on. PSPs were notorious for their inability to hold any charge (I dare to say typical Sony). You could do pretty much whatever you wanted: after a month of not touching the machine, it wouldn't turn on without recharging.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:mine were definitely stored in best possible conditions, still turned up like this. Fun fact: after checking my PSP, I grabbed my GBA-SP which also wasn't touched (or charged) for years and it flawlessly even turned on.
Same thing with DSi, even if you charged it and didn't touch it for years, you can just come, turn it on and it'll turn it without any problem.

Fudoh wrote:PSPs were notorious for their inability to hold any charge (I dare to say typical Sony). You could do pretty much whatever you wanted: after a month of not touching the machine, it wouldn't turn on without recharging.
Same thing with PSP Go, you can recharge it to full, not touch it for a month or so, come back and try to turn it on after a month and it wouldn't turn on at all.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

ross wrote:There's probably a reason this is largely happening with people digging their old PSPs out of the closet, the batteries could have been left sitting with zero charge for long periods of time and/or in adverse heat/humidity. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect this to happen to li-ion batteries stored properly with a 40-50% SoC, in so far as any old, used li-ion battery can be relied upon to hold up in the long run.
You would think so. My PSP was never taken out, always played from home, one time owner, stayed in the bedroom which has constant humidity and temperature control (not to mention it wasn't anywhere near direct sunlight), and yet it happened. It wasn't charged for around 6~7 years though.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

ross wrote:That's what I'm saying though. Who knows how long that battery's been dead, of course it's going to degenerate in that state. You're supposed to store li-ion batteries with a partial charge
And how are you going to do that when the PSP batteries can't hold a charge? Recharge them every 2 weeks?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Checked my 3000's battery. Looks perfectly fine thankfully. Had it close to a decade. Still fire it up a few times a year. Not sure if that has helped it.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Austin wrote:Checked my 3000's battery. Looks perfectly fine thankfully. Had it close to a decade. Still fire it up a few times a year. Not sure if that has helped it.
My PSP 2000 battery was bloated, not too bad but noticeable, thankfully it was kept outside of the PSP, haven't used it for a long time.