Genesis Model 2 vs JVC X'Eye RGB noise - cap related?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HDgaming42

Genesis Model 2 vs JVC X'Eye RGB noise - cap related?

Post by HDgaming42 »

I would have thought the X'Eye would have the superior RGB, but is it...nosier?

I've got a rather old RetroAcess SCART cable and it exhibits no noise or interference when plugged into my Model 2 out to a PVM-14L5, but when using that cable on the X'Eye I get awful noise and distortion.

I have a second cable that has more sheilding and I observe the same phenomenon.

Is the X'Eye inheriently more noisy, or is this a sign my caps are going?
Ikaruga11

Re: Genesis Model 2 vs JVC X'Eye RGB noise - cap related?

Post by Ikaruga11 »

HDgaming42 wrote:I would have thought the X'Eye would have the superior RGB, but is it...nosier?

I've got a rather old RetroAcess SCART cable and it exhibits no noise or interference when plugged into my Model 2 out to a PVM-14L5, but when using that cable on the X'Eye I get awful noise and distortion.

I have a second cable that has more sheilding and I observe the same phenomenon.

Is the X'Eye inheriently more noisy, or is this a sign my caps are going?
Could be a cap issue. All the JVC X'Eyes I've seen have amazing RGB with zero issues and several people say it has the best RGB of any Mega Drive/Genesis system.
ShootTheCore

Post by ShootTheCore »

Agreed. My X'Eye noticeably had less noise in the RGB video after I replaced the caps on it. The AC adapter matters as well - if you're using the JVC stock adapter, replace the cap inside it. If not, consider one of the Triad AC adapters that FirebrandX recommends.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

GeneraLight wrote:Could be a cap issue. All the JVC X'Eyes I've seen have amazing RGB with zero issues and several people say it has the best RGB of any Mega Drive/Genesis system.
ShootTheCore wrote:Agreed. My X'Eye noticeably had less noise in the RGB video after I replaced the caps on it. The AC adapter matters as well - if you're using the JVC stock adapter, replace the cap inside it. If not, consider one of the Triad AC adapters that FirebrandX recommends.
Yeah, I remember it being rock solid a year ago with this setup. I opened it up and there aren't any bulging caps, and most of the caps have a bit of clearance between them and the board so I can see there's no leakage...

What's a cheap but accurate way to test caps? Any recommendation(s) as to what would be good to test capacitors in place on things like consoles and CRTs?
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/bestsellers/hi/9716103011

My PSU isn't the original, but maybe I should pop it open too to see if something is amiss...