Stardard SNES SCART Cable Resistor Question?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
erik343

Stardard SNES SCART Cable Resistor Question?

Post by erik343 »

Hello,

I have a question about the Standard SNES SCART Cable.
I am comparing two cables, and I am not sure which one is better, or which resistor value is better?

I am going to use this cable for my SNES or for my NESRGB (if I set J8 to open as TTL). I am hooking this up to the Framemeister XRGB-mini.

Cable #1: https://retro-access.com/collections/su ... nded-cable
Cable #2: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart

The first cable has a 330 ohm resistor and the second cable has a 470 ohm resistor.
My question is: do these resistors in these two cables make any difference? Does it really matter? What effect does this have technical hardware wise?

Thanks for your help!

Erik W.
theclaw

Re: Stardard SNES SCART Cable Resistor Question?

Post by theclaw »

The resistor brings the sync voltage to an acceptable range. 330 ohm is more common.

Formally, using composite video as sync is the default for SCART on European TV sets.
But upscalers or monitors may get better results with csync. (then there's TTL and luma sync...)
makar1

Post by makar1 »

This post explains sync voltages quite well:
https://www.snailtoothgaming.com/articl ... nc-output/

Both the 330ohm and 470ohm should produce a suitable reduction in voltage for consoles outputting TTL, with 470ohm reducing the voltage more than 330hm.

I use Retrogamingcables' SNES CSYNC 470ohm cable for my AV Famicom with NESRGB installed, going to an OSSC.
erik343

Post by erik343 »

Thanks for the information.

I found out that the current cables I have are not shielded, so I am going to buy the packapunch cables instead. Also, this cable has a 470 ohm resistor, and this is fine. Then, I will have to find a male to male SCART cable that is shielded as well. Also, I will need a shielded SCART to XRGB adapter for my Framemeister. And, I also posted a question if my SB-5525 Shinybow 6x2 SCART switch is internally shielded as well?
makar1

Post by makar1 »

erik343 wrote:Thanks for the information.

I found out that the current cables I have are not shielded, so I am going to buy the packapunch cables instead. Also, this cable has a 470 ohm resistor, and this is fine. Then, I will have to find a male to male SCART cable that is shielded as well. Also, I will need a shielded SCART to XRGB adapter for my Framemeister. And, I also posted a question if my SB-5525 Shinybow 6x2 SCART switch is internally shielded as well?
Retrogamingcables sell a flat, shielded 1.5m SCART cable. They also sell a SCART to XRGB adapter that is listed as Shielded in the specs.
erik343

Post by erik343 »

Cool thanks, I will check that out! For the male to male SCART cable and XRGB SCART adapter, do you know if the RGB, CSYNC, composite video, chroma, luma, and audio lines are all individually shielded as well?
makar1

Post by makar1 »

The overall cable is screened with metal foil shielding to minimise interference. All cables are tested before dispatch.
I imagine this implies the wires are not individually shielded.

The SCART to XRGB adapter only includes RGB, Sync, and Audio. You won't be able to input Composite or S-Video through it.
makar1

Post by makar1 »

Voultar had plenty of bad things to say about Retro-Access when they used to epoxy their connectors shut. Both companies have made bad design decisions in the past, and any vendor is inevitably going to have some % of manufacturing defects.

Coax is overkill for a 0.5M adapter cable anyway. It's not going to make a difference for connections below 2m compared to regular shielded wire.