Replacing Working Video/Deflection Boards on D BVMs - Worth?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Replacing Working Video/Deflection Boards on D BVMs - Worth?

Post by fernan1234 »

Hey guys, I'm hoping for some guidance and advice on replacing the main video board (BK board) and deflection board (E board) on D-series Sony BVMs (in my case specifically a D24).

I recently bought one of each of these boards serviced by a former Sony tech (Pat) mainly to keep as backups in case the ones currently in my D24 were to ever fail. But I'm also wondering if I should swap them out now for the potential video quality improvement from freshly serviced boards. The currently installed boards work fine and I do get a great picture already, with only a few very minor convergence and geometry imperfections left over after a lot of time adjusting the alignment settings (not sure if this is as good as this tube can do anyway).

With that in mind, I'd like some input on these questions,

1) If I decide to swap the boards, does the BK board need only re-loading the factory settings in the setup menu -> extend menu as mentioned in 5-1 of the service manual, or would something else be needed? (For the E board it looks like it can be simply exchanged without any other steps.)
2) Assuming that Pat calibrated the video and deflection boards together, would installing them and reloading the factory settings force me to go over alignment and calibration settings all over again for each scan rate and 4:3/16:9 mode?
3) Do I need to worry about the caps on the boards that end up outside the monitor, given that they will not be in use for an indefinite amount of time?

Thanks for any input! I'm basically having some buying remorse since I'm not sure if I even need to hold on to these boards, let alone go through the potential pain of installing them and having to go over calibration again. Maybe I should just pass them along to someone with broken ones that actually need replacing.