Sega CDX question...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Sega CDX question...

Post by dave4shmups »

I would like to get one of these systems, because it would be a real space saver.

However, out of all of the Sega CD models, I've read more online comments about CDX's failing then I have even the front-loading Sega CD unit!

Plus, I do not know if a Mega Drive converter cartridge would work on the thing.

So, is the CDX really not very durable, compared to other Sega CD models? Matt reccommended the top-loading Sega CD unit, and I've read that the X'EYE is pretty durable.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I have one and hasn't given me any problems. You can get one mostly for the space saving. Very neat of course. My guess is that they tend to fail more often than SCD units (If they ever do) perhaps because of the portability, as they are exposed to rough handling, falls, and even some burnz played on them. (It was made before CDR's were available in the market.) While a regular SCD simply sits there on your gaming rack, and doesn't get exposed to any vibrations.

Also, the components are more tightly packed, and lack all that metal shielding of the big units, that helps dissipate heat. *BUT* it all depends on the use you give to yours. It shouldn't give you any problems if you play original SCD games on it , and keep it free of dust and debris.

Also, Sega CD units use lasers made by JVC (Perhaps the first model is a Sony drive, correct me if wrong), so no cheap-o PS1 type crap designed to break one day after the warranty expires there. Mine was made in April 94 and still spins and reads CD games and carts just fine. Take that, PS2. :P
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Specineff wrote:I have one and hasn't given me any problems. You can get one mostly for the space saving. Very neat of course. My guess is that they tend to fail more often than SCD units (If they ever do) perhaps because of the portability, as they are exposed to rough handling, falls, and even some burnz played on them. (It was made before CDR's were available in the market.) While a regular SCD simply sits there on your gaming rack, and doesn't get exposed to any vibrations.

Also, the components are more tightly packed, and lack all that metal shielding of the big units, that helps dissipate heat. *BUT* it all depends on the use you give to yours. It shouldn't give you any problems if you play original SCD games on it , and keep it free of dust and debris.

Also, Sega CD units use lasers made by JVC (Perhaps the first model is a Sony drive, correct me if wrong), so no cheap-o PS1 type crap designed to break one day after the warranty expires there. Mine was made in April 94 and still spins and reads CD games and carts just fine. Take that, PS2. :P
Thanks for that advice and info Specineff! Which model of Sega CD do you have that was made in '94 that still works? I don't know if the Sega CDX came out then.

I'd still like to know, though, whether or not you can play MD games on the CDX with an adapter.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Oh, I have a Sega CDX that was made in 94, don't have a Sega CD system, actually.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.