Need advice on acquiring an PC-Engine

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SAM

Need advice on acquiring an PC-Engine

Post by SAM »

Hi,
I wish to acquire an Japanese PC-Engine, which could play all types of PC-Engine CD-ROM games.

I also need it to output RGB SCART for connecting to an OSSC.

There are too many models of PC-Engine, I don't know which one should I be after, as well as need a solution for the RGB SCART output.

Also any recommended sellers? Moding services?

-SAM
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Steamflogger Boss

Re: Need advice on acquiring an PC-Engine

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Get a Duo of some sort. Regular Duo will need to be recapped.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Yep, after trying literally all models, I'd also say Duo or bust. Everything else sucks (relatively more).

May not be what you're looking for, but I'll also point in this direction for an alternative solution even better than a Duo: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66549
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

If you want to play physical CD games, the Duo-R or RX is your best bet. They don't have problems with bad caps like the original Duo and tend to be a little more robust in my experience despite having a cheaper build. Recapped original Duos are just as good (and better looking than a Duo-R IMO), but expect to pay a premium for one that's been properly recapped and serviced. You'll also need to get an Arcade Card Duo if you want to play games like Sapphire or some of the Neo Geo ports. The only games it can't play are the five SuperGrafx-only HuCards, which isn't that much of a loss.

There is the Super SD System 3 which plugs into a regular PCE system (original white PCE, Core Grafx and Core Grafx II) or SuperGrafx and can play every CD game out there on an SD card, in addition to HuCard ROMs. It also has RGB output built-in so you don't need an internal mod. While it is a nice thing to have, you do sacrifice some quality in the name of convenience, as it has some pretty significant audio and video interference issues. Those are well-covered in the SSD3 thread so you can check that out for more info.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Also, just to clarify, if you do go the ssds3 route, you do need a supergrafx to play those titles. But any other model supports the rest of the library via the ssds3 and no need for the system cards...but yeah, that dubious interference and off-spec audio.

Theres also this guy to strictly get you an array of a/v outputs from pc engines:
https://castlemaniagames.com/products/d ... ooster-ttp
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Go LaserActive!
SAM

Post by SAM »

I bought a PC-Engine Duo R, modded to output RGB. The seller said he has replaced all of the capacitors, and some other parts inside the unit.

The seller said he used a more suitable chip other than the THS7374 series to ampifly the RGB singal. And thus there would be no jail bars problem. He also installed a toggle switch to switch between outputing the composit or CSYNC singal.

Have any of you heard of such a chip exists?

I think it should work with the OSSC when outputing CSYNC output. We would see very soon, when the unit arrive.

Any recommended Non-Shmups games?
Suits

Post by Suits »

SAM wrote:Any recommended Non-Shmups games?
It goes without saying really, but just in case Akumajō Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood).
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

SAM wrote:The seller said he used a more suitable chip other than the THS7374 series to ampifly the RGB singal. And thus there would be no jail bars problem. He also installed a toggle switch to switch between outputing the composit or CSYNC singal.

Is that a Japanese seller? Over there they've come up with a bunch of custom RGB amps over the years. Some modders there also swear that the older 7314 complements the PCE better.

In any case, the jail bars are not related to the RGB amp used. That problem is simply fixed by swapping a couple of caps: https://console5.com/wiki/Hu6260

And both sync types should work fine on the OSSC.

As for non-shmups games, can you read Japanese? If you do options expand greatly for the PCE CD library. A lot of great adventure games and RPGs.
Steamflogger Boss

SAM wrote:I bought a PC-Engine Duo R, modded to output RGB. The seller said he has replaced all of the capacitors, and some other parts inside the unit.

The seller said he used a more suitable chip other than the THS7374 series to ampifly the RGB singal. And thus there would be no jail bars problem. He also installed a toggle switch to switch between outputing the composit or CSYNC singal.

I think it should work with the OSSC when outputing CSYNC output. We would see very soon, when the unit arrive.

Any recommended Non-Shmups games?
Name of the seller?

There are so many good games it's hard to even know where to start but definitely try the PC Genjin games.
SAM

Post by SAM »

fernan1234 wrote:Is that a Japanese seller?
Yes, I am buying from a Japanese seller. As it is cheaper to find a Japanese cosole from Japan as well as cheaper to ship the console to where I live from Japan.
fernan1234 wrote:As for non-shmups games, can you read Japanese? If you do options expand greatly for the PCE CD library. A lot of great adventure games and RPGs.
Well, I can't read Japanses, so the games have to be stick to action games. Or somthing with very little Japanese like Nectaris.
Suits wrote:
It goes without saying really, but just in case Akumajō Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood).
Yesh, I know of this, it is the one included in PC-Engine Mini, right? I won't be going after that for the moment. As I have got a PC-Engine MIni, so I would go after games that are not included in the PC-ENgine Mini's library first.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Name of the seller?
A guy called "eha455" at Yahoo Auction Japan, any clue?
Steamflogger Boss wrote:There are so many good games it's hard to even know where to start but definitely try the PC Genjin games.
That's Bnok's serie in English, right?
Suits

Post by Suits »

SAM wrote:
Suits wrote:
Yesh, I know of this, it is the one included in PC-Engine Mini, right? I won't be going after that for the moment. As I have got a PC-Engine MIni, so I would go after games that are not included in the PC-ENgine Mini's library first.
Yes, that makes perfect sense.

I've been considering getting World Court Tennis, which isn't quite what it seems from the title and looks fun and interesting.
Steamflogger Boss

SAM wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Name of the seller?
A guy called "eha455" at Yahoo Auction Japan, any clue?
Steamflogger Boss wrote:There are so many good games it's hard to even know where to start but definitely try the PC Genjin games.
That's Bnok's serie in English, right?
Okay have not heard of them. Asked to see if it was one I had heard of good or bad.

Yep. I would also recommend Ys IV, Devil Crash, Bomberman 94, Parasol Stars, Exile, Cadash, PopNMagic, Rainbow Islands and Snatcher.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

My experience was a ton of sync drops when using composite video. Using C sync with a buffer circuit gave me a solid no drop picture. Should be part of the amp design.
fernan1234 wrote:
SAM wrote:The seller said he used a more suitable chip other than the THS7374 series to ampifly the RGB singal. And thus there would be no jail bars problem. He also installed a toggle switch to switch between outputing the composit or CSYNC singal.

Is that a Japanese seller? Over there they've come up with a bunch of custom RGB amps over the years. Some modders there also swear that the older 7314 complements the PCE better.

In any case, the jail bars are not related to the RGB amp used. That problem is simply fixed by swapping a couple of caps: https://console5.com/wiki/Hu6260

And both sync types should work fine on the OSSC.

As for non-shmups games, can you read Japanese? If you do options expand greatly for the PCE CD library. A lot of great adventure games and RPGs.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
SAM

Post by SAM »

thchardcore wrote:Using C sync with a buffer circuit gave me a solid no drop picture. Should be part of the amp design.
You mean geting the CSYNC singal from Composit Video with a LM1881 chip?
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

I bought a DUO-R from eBay seller doujindance last year. It was re capped, rgb modded, region free and included an RGB scart cable (not JP21).

It been fantastic, no issues playing any games and has a nice sharp, jailbar free picture and plays nicely with any scart switch or scaler I run it through.

Note that I’ve seen the sellers name come up before in a less positive light (poor workmanship, hot glue mess etc) but it appears they have learnt and are doing things right now. The eBay listings show how neat the work is and my own console mirrors this. Now I don’t know anything like enough to know if the engineering is sound so you’d need to check with someone more knowledgeable but in my setup the system has been perfect.
Steamflogger Boss

Doujindance has improved, yes.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I just bought one of his RGB kits for a PCE Duo that I plan on refurbishing, he's really changed a ton and the install methods for his new mods are really clever. No more epoxy and bubble wrapped PCBs!