External gamma adjustment

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Re: External gamma adjustment

Post by kitty666cats »

ross wrote:Does anyone have experience with “gamma boosters” for use with CRTs or any recommendations? The GammaX looks like it’d be useful though it only offers RGBHV input/output which would require a bevy of sync separators/combiners and adapters. Any better options?
I've got one of those and personally love the hell out of it, I'm pretty sure it'll accept RGBS as well. I'll check soon, they can also be found under the name "X-Vue Gamma Boost". If you get one, be sure to get one with the PSU because it's a very annoyingly specific one! TEENSY little barrel connector, like on old Nokia phones :P
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ross wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
ross wrote:Does anyone have experience with “gamma boosters” for use with CRTs or any recommendations? The GammaX looks like it’d be useful though it only offers RGBHV input/output which would require a bevy of sync separators/combiners and adapters. Any better options?
I've got one of those and personally love the hell out of it, I'm pretty sure it'll accept RGBS as well. I'll check soon, they can also be found under the name "X-Vue Gamma Boost". If you get one, be sure to get one with the PSU because it's a very annoyingly specific one! TEENSY little barrel connector, like on old Nokia phones :P
Nice, where did you get yours? Assuming it's somewhere that didn't stop selling it years ago. Any noticeable degradation or visual artifacts created in the process?

The packaging only mentions RGBHV input/output, though if it did accept RGBS that would be very convenient.

Not sure what your use case is, but I find the complete lack of discussion around improving near-black detail on CRTs a little confounding considering everything else this community has investigated and achieved, as well as the widespread use of CRTs! The ridiculously high gamma response at low IREs, present even in professional-grade monitors and inherent to CRT tech, is something I noticed and has bugged me ever since I got back into using CRTs again.
I just nabbed one on eBay earlier this year, the X-Vue branded ones. No degradation or artifacts at all, there's a little dial on the thing for setting it to your ideal level. My monitor's on the fritz right now but I'll try RGBS once I get shit sorted out!
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ross wrote:Thanks, would definitely appreciate it! BTW, by RGBS, would you just be referring to CSYNC or CSYNC/composite video/luma?
Csync, clean sync, yep. My monitor is still screwy, but I'm almost certain that RGBS/csync should be fine.

" tech+support@tutanota.com " will be able to provide more answers than me :) For all I know, it may even accept sync over composite/luma (doubt it tho)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ross wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
ross wrote:Thanks, would definitely appreciate it! BTW, by RGBS, would you just be referring to CSYNC or CSYNC/composite video/luma?
Csync, clean sync, yep. My monitor is still screwy, but I'm almost certain that RGBS/csync should be fine.

" tech+support@tutanota.com " will be able to provide more answers than me :) For all I know, it may even accept sync over composite/luma (doubt it tho)
Just emailed them, "it is RGBHV only" was their response. Hmm... let me know anyway if you ever get around to testing it! :)
Mm, well you could always use an Extron RGB interface to turn RGBS into RGBHV, in that case! :)

I'll test the RGBS when I can - finally got the monitor working but I'm not touchin' any of the connectors until my buddy comes by to help me find the bad solder joint(s) in it :P
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Heyooo, my monitor is all better now and I finally got around to testing 31kHz RGBS ("csync") into the Gamma Boost - totally works (tested via an Extron 580xi). I didn't try 15kHz RGBS or RGBHV just now, but I'm pretty sure I have tried one or both in the past / this thing is fine with whatever resolution you feed it. I'm honestly not that surprised, whoever they have doing customer service RE: these ancient products probably doesn't even know what the hecc an Extron RGB interface is :P
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ross wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Heyooo, my monitor is all better now and I finally got around to testing 31kHz RGBS ("csync") into the Gamma Boost - totally works (tested via an Extron 580xi). I didn't try 15kHz RGBS or RGBHV just now, but I'm pretty sure I have tried one or both in the past / this thing is fine with whatever resolution you feed it. I'm honestly not that surprised, whoever they have doing customer service RE: these ancient products probably doesn't even know what the hecc an Extron RGB interface is :P
Niiice, thanks for getting back to me on that! Looks like I'll have to pick one up then.

Just out of interest, before putting this thread to bed, are you using it with a PVM/BVM?
I was using it on a multiformat pro monitor, but using a separate board inside of the giant-ass monitor with a 31+kHz VGA input. The thing really gives me the impression it's meant mostly for displays/devices that display at 31+kHz, but it's compatible with 15kHz displays/devices too. Not sure what level sync it outputs / if it passes through the same level sync it is fed, so be mindful of that if you have a way of checking. If you plan on using it with a PVM/BVM you should almost certainly be fine tho :)