SONY PVM-2730QM Restoration/Repair

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jeffez

SONY PVM-2730QM Restoration/Repair

Post by jeffez »

(Updated)
This thing came to me in a pretty poor dirty state and blew it's fuse as soon as i first powered it on. After cleaning it up and restoring the power supply with new caps etc it powers up fine but has what appears to be no sync. Going to work my way through and replace all electrolytic caps. May update in future.

Working before it was shipped
https://i.imgur.com/PhjEXos.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SAmoD3b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RVYIlvz.jpg
Last edited by jeffez on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeffez

Re: Need help with a DOA SONY PVM-2730QM

Post by jeffez »

After many hours i completely disassembled, cleaned it all up and restored the power supply replacing all electrolytic caps and a few other parts including the bridge rectifier. Some shoddy repair work was done on the psu at some point...
See before and after photos.

Inside before and after. Power supply is the metal box down the bottom and was not easy to remove.

Power supply board before and after. Note the large bulging cap!

It now powers up fine but for some reason i get no sync.
I will keep plugging away, but if anyone can offer any advice/ideas/feedback it'd be greatly appreciated
metrodigital

Re: SONY PVM-2730QM Restoration/Repair

Post by metrodigital »

I have the same monitor, and a few months ago it just stopped working when I switched it on.
No lights, sound or anything when powering it on.

I'm hoping its something as simple as a blown fuse on the power supply board.

Would you happen to know what type of fuse I would need to get to replace the blown one?
I'm not looking forward to having to remove the power supply board as I don't have a lot of experience with CRT's.
nem

Re: Need help with a DOA SONY PVM-2730QM

Post by nem »

jeffez wrote:Note the large bulging cap!
It's the main filter cap and it's not bulging. It has a domed plastic top.
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

metrodigital wrote:I have the same monitor, and a few months ago it just stopped working when I switched it on.
No lights, sound or anything when powering it on.

I'm hoping its something as simple as a blown fuse on the power supply board.

Would you happen to know what type of fuse I would need to get to replace the blown one?
I'm not looking forward to having to remove the power supply board as I don't have a lot of experience with CRT's.
Sorry only just saw this. Mine uses a 5 amp fuse, the T5A written on the board shows it. Not sure if that's different on 110v sets though
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

Anyway I ended up replacing every single cap on this. Over 250 of them. Found one leaky cap on the neck board. Could do with some calibration but otherwise works and looks great.