How do you feel about the digital only future of consoles?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guspaz

Re: How do you feel about the digital only future of console

Post by Guspaz »

Konsolkongen wrote:
Guspaz wrote:Physical media is largely a facade these days. Without all the updates (sometimes games just plain don't work without the day-one patch), without all the additional content, without in many cases large chunks of the actual game, without the online services and servers that games rely on, there often isn't much left on that physical media that is of use in a brand new console without a network connection. I'm not arguing in favour of this, it's just the way it is now.
I don’t think I’ve yet come across a game that didn’t work without being patched. Sure there are numerous bug and performance fixes sometimes, but you could still play them.
There have been a few, and the situation is similar in the many games that only ship a partial copy of the game on their physical media. Examples of this include Switch games that didn't want to pay for the larger cartridge size, or some modern games that are too big to fit on discs, like Call of Duty, Destiny, or Flight Simulator.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The Switch cartridges are just awful. It's unbelievable that Nintendo allows publishers to only ship a tiny bit of the game and provide the rest as download :(

As for Destiny, I can't speak for 2 but 1 did fit on disc. It's not really a game worth owning physically though as it probably won't be playable in the future due to it being online only. Not really an excuse for massive downloads either way as they could just ship two discs in the cover they are dirt cheap. At least PS5 and Series X will support blu rays with double the capacity :)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Destiny 2 is 165GB and yet there was only one disc in the package, so...

Of course, it's an online game, so being unable to download a patch is the least of your worries.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Konsolkongen wrote:The Switch cartridges are just awful. It's unbelievable that Nintendo allows publishers to only ship a tiny bit of the game and provide the rest as download :(
It's a far better situation to download a few GB than say the PS4 or XBOX One. I installed a game from disc the other day and it needed to download something absurd like 80GB !
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

These days I'm pretty happy when the download is 'just' 40GB. I've just been installing some XB1 games and there were several in the 70-80GB download range.

For a good number of games what's on the disc is basically worthless. No Man's Sky is a completely different game today vs how it shipped. Gran Turismo Sport got years worth of content updates and improvements. It's pretty common for games to launch with bugs, massive performance and balancing issues that get resolved it the day one patch. It's also becoming quite common for games to receive significant content updates and gameplay changes months, even years after release. Even 1st party Nintendo titles like Animal Crossing shipped missing major features and all the special/seasonal content. You don't preserve games anymore by preserving the disc/cartridge. Something like a Persona or Zelda that ships 99% finished is becoming rare.

In other news, MS is about to remove Forza Horizon 3 from their store, a major first-party release. Rumors are that the music licenses ran out. So much for keeping games available.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

ldeveraux wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:The Switch cartridges are just awful. It's unbelievable that Nintendo allows publishers to only ship a tiny bit of the game and provide the rest as download :(
It's a far better situation to download a few GB than say the PS4 or XBOX One. I installed a game from disc the other day and it needed to download something absurd like 80GB !
It’s not though. There might be a large update on the PS4 but at least the game is on the disc. The Switch cartridge is mostly useless without an internet connection depending on the game.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Lawfer wrote:Video game preservation is important and digital is an enemy of that, see all the PS3 and PSP games who had digital versions available that became forever lost because they got delisted (aka lost) buy you can still play them by getting a physical version.
If preservation if your thing i'm not sure why you'd be happy with physical in this day and age where a lot of the physicals are produced by companies who take pride in making an as limited distribution as possible to please their shelf-queens who prefer to not even unwrap the game and the "investors". Yeah it's great some guy is " preserving" an entire switch collection in shrinkwrap but for me what's the use? I can spend $800 on a game on ebay if i want to play it in a few years?
Preservation-wise you'd better hope for the time the drm gets cracked and you download a set of games for said console. Because of that pretty much everything previous-gen is playable and obtainable now, no thanks to limited physical distribution or download-drm.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Yes, nothing about physical games is helping preservation in the long term. The only real solution is hacking & piracy. Disable/circumvent copy protection on the original hardware, develop emulators and FPGA clone systems, make sure all games are preserved on archive.org, torrents, etc. Official digital storefronts will be shut down and physical media will become scarce/expensive/bitrotted.

Also, screw LRG and screw collectors and their 'museums' :D None of this keeps games truly available.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Konsolkongen wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
It’s not though. There might be a large update on the PS4 but at least the game is on the disc. The Switch cartridge is mostly useless without an internet connection depending on the game.
My opinion is that Switch games are more complete on cartridge than PS4/XBOX games on disc. I'm sure that's just my experience, but I've seen more games unplayable-as-released on those 2 consoles than the Switch. Do those 2 even let you play the game without first downloading the entire thing to the HDD for some reason, then mandatory game updates?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

You’re not downloading the games on PS4 and One. You are installing them to the HDD, which also means much faster loadtimes than the Switch embarrassingly enough. And the updates are skippable on the PS4, the Xbox is a huge pain in the ass in this regard, not even allowing you to play the games while the updates are downloading.

There are plenty of cartridge games on the Switch that cannot be played without downloading a huge portion of them. LA Noire, a lot of 2k releases and Final Fantasy X-2 comes to mind.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Konsolkongen wrote:the Xbox is a huge pain in the ass in this regard
I'll never complain about the PS4 again after seeing what a trainwreck this installation process is on the XB1. A lot of aspects of the XB1 OS feel like beta-quality software at best, after 7 years on the market. Unbelievably bad.

I really hate how they interleave the disc copy & patch download. On PS4 it's basically ~18min max copying and then the download, but on XB1 the console seems to copy a few gigs, then sometimes downloads for an hour, then copies a few more gigs etc., forcing you to keep the disc in the drive and listen to its noise. On PS4 I also employ a strategy where when I'm getting close to wrapping up a game I quickly put in the next disc and then let the patch download while I finish my current game. This does not work on XB1. You can remove the disc once the copying has finished, but if you then reboot the console or insert another game the download will stop and require you to put the disc in. And then the console will loudly spin the disc. For no reason - there's nothing to copy. I could understand such glitches and polish issues at launch, but how can this suck so hard after so many years on the market...
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It's the same reason Windows 10 has been update rollercoaster garbage for years now. Microsoft turned their core product into a "service", which is just an excuse to push endless, broken buggy updates forever.

I've personally run into bizzare bugs like the entire console shutting down due to "idle standby" while it was in the middle of installing a new game (Which took longer than a goddamn hour). And then when I turned it back on, it refused to recodnise there was even a disc in the drive until I ejected and put it back in. Amateur hour crap.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

ASDR>

You're absolutely right. I remember Gears 4 taking more than five f'ing hours to install from disc on my Xbox One. The trick is (only realized this later) to remove the ethernet cable while installing the game, then it installs MUCH quicker. Unfortunately once you plug in the cable again and you wish to update you cannot play the game while doing so, which is completely retarded :O

Gears 4 must have downloaded half a terrabyte in patches in the time I owned it. WTF? I'm certain that it has downloaded many of the same assets that were already installed, textures and such multiple time. I have no idea what Microsoft is doing but this seems to be common practice for most of their first party games.

I recently sold my Xbox One X. Don't regret it. It's the only mainstream system since the NES I don't currently own. It's a pain to use in every way and there are just about no exclusives on the system making it worth owning. Sure, some games run at a higher resolution than PS4 Pro, but I'd much rather play that and not have a horrible experience.

Sadly the only redeeming thing about the Xbox One X is the backwards compatibility where it can render games at much higher resolutions and better framerates too. It's brilliant, hats off to them. But they suddenly closed the BC program with only very few games actually supporting these features :(
The Series X will be the go to console for original Xbox and 360 I hope. It looks to be the most powerful of the upcoming consoles, and still the only interesting thing about it is running games with back compat, and that's really, really sad :/
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Glad I'm not the only one then...

The only two major consoles I did not own were the Atari 2600 and the XBox One. Got both last week :-) Amazon had refurbished Xbox One X consoles for 199EUR. Mine looked 100% like new, couldn't have told it was refurbished. Over the last couple of months I also picked up the dozen or so exclusive games and thought I could also use it for backcompat and for multiplatform games since it is the most powerful system out there. But honestly, I clearly did not miss much by waiting 7 years to get one...

I noticed that in the dashboard there are audio glitches. When navigating the menus sounds get cut off, random pops & crackles. I have two different setups, one with audio over HDMI into stereo studio monitors and one with an optical switch into an AV receiver and home theater. The issue happens with both and only this console. Thankfully it's fine in-game. Googled a bit and found years worth of Reddit threads talking about this issue.

Regarding backcompat - when firing up Geometry Wars I immediately noticed input lag. Compared it to my actual 360 and yes, it's only on the One X. Then just setting up my 360 profile on the One X was a nightmare because I kept getting disconnected from live. Not on the One X itself, only on the emulated 360, though. My actual 360 stays connected just fine. Also found years worth of Reddit threads of people having this issue.

I really expected by buying the system at the end of its life I'd get a mature, debugged platform, but this is just absurd.

I also recently installed Gears 4, basically spend the last week installing my dozen or so Xbox One exclusive games, what a shitshow. I thought the large patches and mandatory disc copy on the PS4 was annoying, but this is on another level.

Regarding the "service" thing - it's pretty clear that MS has no real interest in actually selling you a console. At best they see it as a vehicle for Game Pass. Everything they said so far has put me off this system. They haven't shown anything interesting running on it and even their first party studios will still support the old system for 2 years, so no real progress as they can't really use the SSD, raytracing etc. From the way it looks now I'll buy a Series X seven+ years from now to play the handful of Forza/Gears/Halo exclusives on it.

The two things I like about the One X are the impulse triggers (good for Forza...) and that the controller lasts longer than the DS4 :-)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

MS can make it really hard to love their systems. Bougth an original XBox one years ago, never unboxed it. Bought a XBox One X maybe two years ago because I wanted to play some 60fps racing games for a change and the set had Fora Horizon 4 and Forza 7 included. Again never got around unboxing it (but I still plan to). Only other two games I own for the X are the two Ori titles.

I really fear that MS will continue like this and eventually take all the fun out of the experience with their new console launch. When I think back even just to the early 360 days (with the "blade" dashboard) - what a fun this was to use. Snappy, tiny game updates, quick downloads (or none at all for the majority of titles I own on the 360).
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Fudoh wrote:MS can make it really hard to love their systems. Bougth an original XBox one years ago, never unboxed it. Bought a XBox One X maybe two years ago because I wanted to play some 60fps racing games for a change and the set had Fora Horizon 4 and Forza 7 included. Again never got around unboxing it (but I still plan to). Only other two games I own for the X are the two Ori titles.

I really fear that MS will continue like this and eventually take all the fun out of the experience with their new console launch. When I think back even just to the early 360 days (with the "blade" dashboard) - what a fun this was to use. Snappy, tiny game updates, quick downloads (or none at all for the majority of titles I own on the 360).
The original Xbox was pretty cool, the vast majority of games supported 480p, 16:9, real Dolby Digital 5.1 and decent online play through Live. Ended up playing more PS2 because of the giant & diverse game library, but the platform/hardware was neat and certainly ahead of the competition. The 360 was also really great (Blades!), Sony really had to scramble to patch up their system to support Achievements, in-game messaging, unified friends lists, background downloads etc. Also all patches were limited to 5MB! I had a buddy that couldn't get DSL/Cable at his place and he could still download patches on his 64kbit/s ISDN line :-)

I also hope MS gets their shit together because we all know what happens to Sony when they get lazy and feel cocky... With Nintendo kinda bowing out of the AAA/hardware rat race and MS not caring that much about their console and really just wanting to sell you Gamepass on, well, whatever, I'm afraid Sony might find itself without real competition for gamers that like Japanese games and big AAA prestige single player titles.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Konsolkongen wrote:You’re not downloading the games on PS4 and One. You are installing them to the HDD, which also means much faster loadtimes than the Switch embarrassingly enough. And the updates are skippable on the PS4, the Xbox is a huge pain in the ass in this regard, not even allowing you to play the games while the updates are downloading.

There are plenty of cartridge games on the Switch that cannot be played without downloading a huge portion of them. LA Noire, a lot of 2k releases and Final Fantasy X-2 comes to mind.
I assume you were commenting to me, but you didn't quote so I can't be sure. I simply used a different terminology regarding getting the game from the disk to the HDD, everybody knew what I meant.

You and I have vastly different ideas of what a long load time is. I can start a game that's already been transferred to the HDD (and updated!) and come back 5 minutes later and still not be able to play. I've never waited more than 20 seconds on the Switch, nor have I been required to update to play any cartridge based game. But I have SXOS so YMMV. Maybe we play different games, because I'm not playing a 9 year old game (LA Noire) built for a previous generation's system on the Switch. I play Switch games, that's why I own all the "retro" consoles as well.

Say what you will about Big N, but I completely disagree that they market directly toward GAAS; their online store is still a mess...

Don't even get me started on PSN or whatever they call their monthly BS system. I've had my account hacked, funds stolen to buy a little game and they refuse to issue a refund to me. That's why I cancelled my account.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Lawfer wrote:Let's not even talk about the fact that the PSP digital store closed a few years back, so the only way to get digital PSP games on your PSP/PSP Go is by owning a PS3, buying the games from you PS3 and then having them getting transfered over to your PSP that is THE ONLY WAY now, but at least there is a way, when the PS3 storefront eventually gets taken down you'll use all ability to even do that, same for PS Vita.
That's not strictly true. You can buy the games on the web site and download directly on a PSP, you just can't BUY them on the PSP. It's still dumb, but not really that inconvenient. It's more annoying to deal with the old wifi encryption standards on the PSP than anything, honestly.

These days, while there are certainly games I can't BUY anymore on, say, Xbox, I can still download them if I previously purchased them. The Wii Shop is the only major source I know of that also removed the ability to download. I'm not saying I like the digital only future necessarily, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

ldeveraux wrote: You and I have vastly different ideas of what a long load time is. I can start a game that's already been transferred to the HDD (and updated!) and come back 5 minutes later and still not be able to play. I've never waited more than 20 seconds on the Switch, nor have I been required to update to play any cartridge based game. But I have SXOS so YMMV. Maybe we play different games, because I'm not playing a 9 year old game (LA Noire) built for a previous generation's system on the Switch. I play Switch games, that's why I own all the "retro" consoles as well.
Apparently we do. I'm obviously not comparing the Nintendo exclusives, I'm comparing the games that are multiplatform, how else could you even make a comparison? I think every Digital Foundry video where they compared Switch loadtimes vs other systems the Switch was dead last every time while still having to load less data. Also, updating isn't required on the PS4. And it really doesn't matter if you play the games I mention or not, the fact remains that some publishers ship incomplete cartridges on Switch.

I don't know what SXOS is.
ASDR wrote: The original Xbox was pretty cool, the vast majority of games supported 480p, 16:9, real Dolby Digital 5.1 and decent online play through Live. Ended up playing more PS2 because of the giant & diverse game library, but the platform/hardware was neat and certainly ahead of the competition. The 360 was also really great (Blades!), Sony really had to scramble to patch up their system to support Achievements, in-game messaging, unified friends lists, background downloads etc. Also all patches were limited to 5MB! I had a buddy that couldn't get DSL/Cable at his place and he could still download patches on his 64kbit/s ISDN line :-)
If I recall these patches are stored in the X,Y,Z partions of the HDD and will therefore be deleted once you play other games that use these cache partitions. I could be wrong about the technical details but I do remember you had to download the same patches all the time. AFAIR only the very large ones (Skyrim) got to be installed on the HDD properly. These small patches might disappear in the future should MS decide to shut down Xbox Live for the 360, with no easy way of keeping them backed up on your console :/
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Konsolkongen wrote: Apparently we do. I'm obviously not comparing the Nintendo exclusives, I'm comparing the games that are multiplatform, how else could you even make a comparison? I think every Digital Foundry video where they compared Switch loadtimes vs other systems the Switch was dead last every time while still having to load less data. Also, updating isn't required on the PS4. And it really doesn't matter if you play the games I mention or not, the fact remains that some publishers ship incomplete cartridges on Switch.
Yeah, as much as I love my Switch games, it's hard to make any argument for the system in terms of load times, download speed (worst Wifi chip ever?), save game or even storage management. Ever tried to delete some DLC for a game? There's an official Nintendo FAQ that explains the only way is to delete everything and then re-download from the store with some hidden trick to manually select what to download so it isn't re-installed automatically. Oh Nintendo :-)

For what it's worth, I have a 200GB SD in my Switch and I have 99% physical games and that card is full. So clearly there are a lot of patches and mandatory downloads for games, hundreds of GBs, in fact. And load times are often abysmal. I think the SD card / game card interface in the Switch is pretty slow but often current gen games are more limited by CPU than I/O.
Konsolkongen wrote:
ASDR wrote: The original Xbox was pretty cool, the vast majority of games supported 480p, 16:9, real Dolby Digital 5.1 and decent online play through Live. Ended up playing more PS2 because of the giant & diverse game library, but the platform/hardware was neat and certainly ahead of the competition. The 360 was also really great (Blades!), Sony really had to scramble to patch up their system to support Achievements, in-game messaging, unified friends lists, background downloads etc. Also all patches were limited to 5MB! I had a buddy that couldn't get DSL/Cable at his place and he could still download patches on his 64kbit/s ISDN line :-)
If I recall these patches are stored in the X,Y,Z partions of the HDD and will therefore be deleted once you play other games that use these cache partitions. I could be wrong about the technical details but I do remember you had to download the same patches all the time. AFAIR only the very large ones (Skyrim) got to be installed on the HDD properly. These small patches might disappear in the future should MS decide to shut down Xbox Live for the 360, with no easy way of keeping them backed up on your console :/
Hm, I don't recall ever having to download a patch twice and I got the 360 since launch. The initial models had tiny 20GB drives but the one I currently have (E? Slim?) has hundreds of GBs, all empty, so hopefully it'll never feel the need to flush any caches.

But like I said earlier, cracking/piracy is the only long term solution. At one point Live for 360 will be shutdown like live for the OGXB and I'll have to softmod / jailbreak my 360 to keep getting patches.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Well I'll defer to all you slow-Switchers, but honestly I'm glad I don't share that experience. My Switch is quick on carts and the SD card. At least quick enough that I prefer it over the disc based consoles.

But the point of the thread was about digital only future, and I'm not at all on board for that. I guess when they introduce a digital only release platform, I'll not be buying that console.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

So far, I don't like the digital only future. Sure, some old game carts or disks are either dirt cheap or super expensive second hand. I've been wanting to play Sqoon on NES again, but it's over $100 used now. At least if I really want to get it I can.

But I just picked up a PS3 and decided to look for the only game that I've wanted a PS3 or Xbox 360 for... The Simpsons Arcade. But alas, it's been pulled off of the PlayStation store for years. And there's no way of buying a used copy of it from someone else, other than an actual arcade PCB. Maybe I should check those out.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Issac Zachary wrote:But I just picked up a PS3 and decided to look for the only game that I've wanted a PS3 or Xbox 360 for... The Simpsons Arcade. But alas, it's been pulled off of the PlayStation store for years. And there's no way of buying a used copy of it from someone else, other than an actual arcade PCB. Maybe I should check those out.
Just in case you're not aware, it's now possible to easily softmod virtually any model of PS3 on any firmware version, which would allow you to install the Simpsons Arcade PSN title as well as any other title regardless of its current availability on the PS Store.

That said, while the softmodding part is easy, installing certain PSN titles is not as straightforward and may require a bit of learning from some old forum posts and guides.

Bringing this back into the original topic, console modification is one of the factors that can make the digital future more acceptable, but on the other hand defeating the security of newer systems will be increasingly difficult.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

fernan1234 wrote:Just in case you're not aware, it's now possible to easily softmod virtually any model of PS3 on any firmware version, which would allow you to install the Simpsons Arcade PSN title as well as any other title regardless of its current availability on the PS Store.

That said, while the softmodding part is easy, installing certain PSN titles is not as straightforward and may require a bit of learning from some old forum posts and guides.

Bringing this back into the original topic, console modification is one of the factors that can make the digital future more acceptable, but on the other hand defeating the security of newer systems will be increasingly difficult.
That's good to know. Thanks!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Things are quickly reaching the crossroads between legal and moral decisions .. such is the case when companies pull things off digital stores in a way that would be impossible for them to do physically.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

I think its wack and I hope these digital only consoles tank.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

tongshadow wrote:I think its wack and I hope these digital only consoles tank.
I think the general public is increasingly becoming more comfortable with digital distribution and its conveniences over physical/retail copies and the concepts of ownership and tangibility, which means the digital-only versions of consoles will eventually become the only versions available. It's quite unfortunate. :/
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

The moment consoles become digital only, I'm out. At least with PC, I can make offline backups (Even if it involves an open source "solution" or two). What can you do with consoles? Install to a different drive and hope there isn't some hidden account/authentication requirement later down the road? Pray that crackers figure out how to jailbreak it? lol.
Issac Zachary

Post by Issac Zachary »

I'm would not be totally against what's being referred to in this thread as "digital only." (Technically all videogames are digital, with the exception of consoles like the Magnavox Odyssey.) But only if these downloadable "console locked" games sales were executed correctly.
TheSwartz

Post by TheSwartz »

One thing I think of is the market for books.

10 years ago, everyone was predicting that digital books would entirely replace physical books. Yet, after a rapid and dramatic drop in physical sales, this leveled off with a large chunk of consumers still preferring to read physical books. What I've read in articles documenting this is, we currently have this steady state; with certain things published as digital only, but a lot of new books are selling at some ratio, like 80:20 - digital vs. physical. And, the publishers are continuing to print because there is enough demand to continue justifying it. And, from what I've read, this isn't expected to change anytime soon.

Similarly, there are nichè books that are almost entirely sold in physical form still (or at least sold at a 1:1 digital version with the physical version). An example would be tabletop RPG books. i.e. "D&D". And specifically all of the higher production value stuff, not the gazillion indie print stuff. These books are laid out in a way that's most appreciated in a large, physical format. These are often collectible. Plus, old grognards just want their hard-cover books dammit! Not the greatest comparison, but this makes me think of things like Limited Run games.

Lastly, think of books sold purely for display purposes. Like coffee table books, or art books, etc. Or how the manga publishers know that if they print the same issue, with 4 different covers, that many fans will feel compelled to "collect them all". All of this is similar to the Collector's Editions we see in games as a way to get you to give them more money, but in return give those fans a way to obtain a coveted physical product. However, look at the Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary Edition just announced for the Switch. It's a nearly perfect collector set except... you just get a digital code to download the actual game... such a bummer!

I'm not quite sure how these observations translate to video games. Not the greatest "apples to apples" comparison of media formats. But, I hope it's encouraging for physical media to stay, in some form, for a while longer. But, I'm not counting on it for the long-term... I think we should appreciate what we have, while we have it.
I probably spend more time collecting games and tinkering with my consoles than actually playing them...