My Micomsoft XSync-1 is not working

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
XSync-1

My Micomsoft XSync-1 is not working

Post by XSync-1 »

I'm sure some of you remember the post that I made about wanting to buy a Micomsoft XSync-1. Well, it came in the mail today. I tried several times to get it to work, but it's not doing what I thought it was supposed to do. Am I using it wrong? I'm here to ask for help on how to get this thing to work. Please keep in mind that the ebay seller I bought it from said that he bought it brand new and never used it.

What I have tried so far:

I flipped the on switch on the bottom of the device and connected the USB cable to my computer, which made the red light turn on. Then I connected the built in JP21 connector to my RGB modded SNES and or N64 through JP21 CSync and or Sync-On-Luma cables. Then, I connected the VGA connector to the Micomsoft XCapture-1 card, connected the XCapture-1 to my computer, and turned on the VideoKeeper2 software and set it to RGB. No picture showed up. I was able to get the green light to turn on, but nothing came on the screen.

I also tried connecting the XSync-1 to my Samsung 1080P HD Plasma Screen TV through the VGA port, set the TV to PC, and nothing showed up.

I just want help getting this thing to work, and I would appreciate it very much if someone would give me some tips. Thank you.
SuperDeadite

Re: My Micomsoft XSync-1 is not working

Post by SuperDeadite »

I would check your cables and consoles. RGB modded SNES needs explanation as SNES doesn't need a mod for RGB. Just plug in a cable.

As for the xcapture, newer drivers dont work with rgb input anymore.

And I highly doubt your 1080p TV can do 240p over vga.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

SuperDeadite wrote:I would check your cables and consoles. RGB modded SNES needs explanation as SNES doesn't need a mod for RGB. Just plug in a cable.
Thanks for the response.

It's a 1Chip-03 that had some modification done to work with CSync (SNES 1CHIP-03 DEJITTER DIGITAL AUDIO RGB THS7374 SuperCIC NTSC).

Here's a link to the console:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114157804658
Last edited by XSync-1 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

SuperDeadite wrote:As for the xcapture, newer drivers dont work with rgb input anymore.

And I highly doubt your 1080p TV can do 240p over vga.
I see. I have installed the latest XCapture-1 drivers from Micomsoft, dated December 21, 2017:

Video Keeper2 Ver.1.1.0.178.0 + Driver Ver.1.1.0.178.0
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html

Perhaps try the 'Thrillness' drivers linked on this blog and follow the instructions carefully, but don't take my word as gospel!
jjh_2882

Post by jjh_2882 »

The red light is showing that the sync stripper is on. I agree with checking your cables first (https://rb.gy/oreogi). If your cables are fine, try the drivers and if that doesn't work, try switching capture devices or use alternative scaler, like OSSC, GBS or Retrotink with HDMI to VGA adapter. A cheaper solution might be to test with PI and Lakka (https://rb.gy/wkp6iz with HDMI to VGA adapter just to confirm capture works.

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting the Xsync to do?
strayan

Post by strayan »

jjh_2882 wrote:try switching capture devices
lol.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

jjh_2882 wrote:The red light is showing that the sync stripper is on. I agree with checking your cables first (https://rb.gy/oreogi). If your cables are fine, try the drivers and if that doesn't work, try switching capture devices or use alternative scaler, like OSSC, GBS or Retrotink with HDMI to VGA adapter. A cheaper solution might be to test with PI and Lakka (https://rb.gy/wkp6iz with HDMI to VGA adapter just to confirm capture works.

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting the Xsync to do?
I was expecting it to convert the JP21 RGB signal to RGB VGAHV. When you say try the drivers, do you mean install an earlier version of the drivers?
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

strayan wrote:
lol.
What's so funny?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

maybe the easiest test of all to see if the XSync is powering up correctly: do you get audio from the RCA outputs on the XSync when connecting a JP21 source to the input ?
jjh_2882

Post by jjh_2882 »

XSync-1 wrote:
strayan wrote:
lol.
What's so funny?
Micomsoft, rebadged Startech, capture devices can be finicky with problematic drivers and clunky capture software. This was mentioned in your previous thread but since you've invested a bunch of money in your current setup and just want it to work, hopefully you can find a solution. Just as long as you understand that there might be easier options available today than there was five or seven years ago.

If you narrow it down to driver and capture card issues, try booting up a clean install of Windows 7 with the older drivers. I have the sc-512n and keep a dedicated older windows 7 pc specifically for the card. Seems to work fine for what it is but not sure if the same drivers apply to the Xcapture.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

jjh_2882 wrote:Micomsoft, rebadged Startech
You mean YUAN, who are Taiwanese. :)
jjh_2882

Post by jjh_2882 »

Extrems wrote:
My apologies, you're right, thanks Extrems.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Fudoh wrote:maybe the easiest test of all to see if the XSync is powering up correctly: do you get audio from the RCA outputs on the XSync when connecting a JP21 source to the input ?
Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it.

Let me make sure that I understood what you meant. I hooked up my SNES with a CSync JP21 cable to the XSync-1, then I hooked up a brand new VGA cable, which was included with a Samsung monitor that I bought, to the XSync-1 and the XCapture-1. I turned on the XCapture-1's VideoKeeper2 software and got no sound, and no picture. Just the spinning loading symbol. I also got no green light on the XSync-1. Then, with everything plugged in as it is, I connected a red and white audio cable to the XSync-1 and to the XCapture-1 audio in port (which is used for Component/D-Terminal) and got no sound in any input of the software (Component, HDMI, Composite, S-Video, RGB). Then I tried using the S-Video adapter cable that came with the XCapture-1, and still no sound in any of the inputs.

Also, I'd like to add that I have installed the earliest drivers for the XCapture-1 dated Oct 17, 2014.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

[/quote]

Micomsoft, rebadged Startech, capture devices can be finicky with problematic drivers and clunky capture software. This was mentioned in your previous thread but since you've invested a bunch of money in your current setup and just want it to work, hopefully you can find a solution. Just as long as you understand that there might be easier options available today than there was five or seven years ago.

If you narrow it down to driver and capture card issues, try booting up a clean install of Windows 7 with the older drivers. I have the sc-512n and keep a dedicated older windows 7 pc specifically for the card. Seems to work fine for what it is but not sure if the same drivers apply to the Xcapture.[/quote]

You're saying this may be an issue with the version of Windows that I'm using, Windows 10?
Last edited by XSync-1 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It's possible. Sometimes you need older os to work with older things and programs. I have a tower with Windows XP for running SubStation Alpha.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

kitty666cats wrote:http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html

Perhaps try the 'Thrillness' drivers linked on this blog and follow the instructions carefully, but don't take my word as gospel!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I couldn't understand how to do this setup.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:It's possible. Sometimes you need older os to work with older things and programs. I have a tower with Windows XP for running SubStation Alpha.
Do any of you guys think the XSync-1 that I bought may be defective? I ask because I don't want to install an older operating system at the moment. For me, it's a huge hassle. I'd rather try other workarounds for now.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Extrems wrote:
It's nice to speak with you, Extrems. You're the one who made the awesome Swiss software for the GameCube, right?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I have a driver for the Startech USB3HDCAP (same as X-Capture 1) that works great for Windows 7. haven't tested it for Windows 10 however.

Let me know if you ever want to try it.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

XSync-1 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:maybe the easiest test of all to see if the XSync is powering up correctly: do you get audio from the RCA outputs on the XSync when connecting a JP21 source to the input ?
Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it.

Let me make sure that I understood what you meant. I hooked up my SNES with a CSync JP21 cable to the XSync-1, then I hooked up a brand new VGA cable, which was included with a Samsung monitor that I bought, to the XSync-1 and the XCapture-1. I turned on the XCapture-1's VideoKeeper2 software and got no sound, and no picture. Just the spinning loading symbol. I also got no green light on the XSync-1. Then, with everything plugged in as it is, I connected a red and white audio cable to the XSync-1 and to the XCapture-1 audio in port (which is used for Component/D-Terminal) and got no sound in any input of the software (Component, HDMI, Composite, S-Video, RGB). Then I tried using the S-Video adapter cable that came with the XCapture-1, and still no sound in any of the inputs.

Also, I'd like to add that I have installed the earliest drivers for the XCapture-1 dated Oct 17, 2014.
Try connecting audio to a TV, or anything else than a capture card.

A capture card and its software might not output sound without a video signal, and you just want to test sound.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

[/quote]
Try connecting audio to a TV, or anything else than a capture card.

A capture card and its software might not output sound without a video signal, and you just want to test sound.[/quote]

I have no idea how to do that, I'm looking at the devices, and I don't know what you mean. I still want this thing to work, but it doesn't seem like it ever will. I just wanted it to convert RGB to RGBHV via VGA cables. It's supposed to work, but it doesn't work at all, at least not with Windows 10. If I try Windows 7 and it still doesn't work, then what?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

As long as you try to get any hardware combo to work without any way of knowing whether your problem is the sync stripper or the capture device, you won't get any further.

Do you have a real VGA source available to test the RGBHV capture on your XCap? If so, does it work?

Second, confirm that the XSync is at least propery getting and passing signals. Connect a RGBs source via JP21 to the XSync and connect a set of speakers, or your TV or your amp to the RCA audio outputs. With an active JP21 source, do you get proper stereo sound from the XSync's RCA outputports ?