Dreamcast Component cables from thefoo.83 (eBay seller)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Dreamcast Component cables from thefoo.83 (eBay seller)

Post by kitty666cats »

Did anyone on here manage to nab these cables before thefoo had to shut down for a while RE: COVID-19 and Polish shipping regulations? It's pretty cool that he beat all these companies to the punch but kept pretty quiet about it/they were released with little-to-no-fanfare.

The guy makes some neat stuff, hopefully he can get back in action sooner rather than later!
Taiyaki

Re: Dreamcast Component cables from thefoo.83 (eBay seller)

Post by Taiyaki »

No sure about the DC cables but just here to support thefoo too, he did great cables.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

Taiyaki wrote:No sure about the DC cables but just here to support thefoo too, he did great cables.
I second that. Before I learned about retro-access, I got a great snes cable from thefoo.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I've got a PS1/PS2 luma cable from him w/ a breakout for GunCons etc... this is the badboy I have to pair up with it:

(not my pic)

His DC cable looks real cool, wish I could dig up a pic of it :( Has a button for res-switching and a LED indicator. I wish that guy the best!
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast ... 4354913414

He's slowly becoming able to ship to more & more countries via eBay, here's a pic of the cables I mentioned. If you're in the USA and would like to order a cable from him, you can send him an e-mail (just don't ask via an eBay message!)

thefoo83@gmail.com is his email, he's a real nice guy! Can also work with you on any specific custom/specialty cables you may want made.
Dr. Claw

Post by Dr. Claw »

So I actually have this cable now!

It certainly works as advertised. When I plug it directly into my TV, I get 480i with the switch off, and 480p with the switch on.
I'm not sure what kind of circuit is lurking behind the switchbox; if it's similar to what Dan Kunz made for the Dreamcast and is used in the RetroAccess and RetroGamingCables SCART cables (and I assume the upcoming HD Retrovision Component cables) or not.

For comparison purposes, my Dreamcast is using the RGC SCART cable in conjunction with RetroTink's RGB2COMP so that I can use the 480p mode directly.

thefoo.83's cable's video output looks about right for 480i. Compared to the RGC/RetroTink combo, I detect a bit more red hue in the video output than the RGC/RetroTink.
The same is true for 480p, although it almost looks more like the same cable does in the RetroTink 2X SCART than it does in the RetroTink RGB2COMP with 480p mode switched on. The RGC/RetroTink transcoder combo looks just like the VGA Box I used to use, which was my go-to in this set up for years (I'd just use the S-Video side of the box for the games I had that didn't support it). Audio on thefoo.83's cable is a bit quieter than the SCART/transcoder combo.

I'd like to do a more direct comparison, once the HDRetrovision cables come out. For now I'm gonna stick with SCART in this particular set up but if I want to move the Dreamcast to my gcompsw setup, I'm definitely gonna use this cable. I can concur he makes great cables especially for consoles that don't have a lot of great options available like the Dreamcast. I've heard about him on places like Reddit regarding his S-Video cables.

Hopefully after this sale there can be some more to the U.S. Standard shipping got it right in my mailbox without too much of a fuss, even though there was no real tracking. I wasn't even expecting to see anything for a few weeks yet.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Dr. Claw wrote:So I actually have this cable now!

It certainly works as advertised. When I plug it directly into my TV, I get 480i with the switch off, and 480p with the switch on.
I'm not sure what kind of circuit is lurking behind the switchbox; if it's similar to what Dan Kunz made for the Dreamcast and is used in the RetroAccess and RetroGamingCables SCART cables (and I assume the upcoming HD Retrovision Component cables) or not.

For comparison purposes, my Dreamcast is using the RGC SCART cable in conjunction with RetroTink's RGB2COMP so that I can use the 480p mode directly.

thefoo.83's cable's video output looks about right for 480i. Compared to the RGC/RetroTink combo, I detect a bit more red hue in the video output than the RGC/RetroTink.
The same is true for 480p, although it almost looks more like the same cable does in the RetroTink 2X SCART than it does in the RetroTink RGB2COMP with 480p mode switched on. The RGC/RetroTink transcoder combo looks just like the VGA Box I used to use, which was my go-to in this set up for years (I'd just use the S-Video side of the box for the games I had that didn't support it). Audio on thefoo.83's cable is a bit quieter than the SCART/transcoder combo.

I'd like to do a more direct comparison, once the HDRetrovision cables come out. For now I'm gonna stick with SCART in this particular set up but if I want to move the Dreamcast to my gcompsw setup, I'm definitely gonna use this cable. I can concur he makes great cables especially for consoles that don't have a lot of great options available like the Dreamcast. I've heard about him on places like Reddit regarding his S-Video cables.

Hopefully after this sale there can be some more to the U.S. Standard shipping got it right in my mailbox without too much of a fuss, even though there was no real tracking. I wasn't even expecting to see anything for a few weeks yet.
Pretty sure it's his own circuit, if memory serves me right!
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Dr. Claw wrote:I'm not sure what kind of circuit is lurking behind the switchbox; if it's similar to what Dan Kunz made for the Dreamcast and is used in the RetroAccess and RetroGamingCables SCART cables (and I assume the upcoming HD Retrovision Component cables) or not.
I used to mod VGA boxes for people with this back in the day, before you could buy these cables pre-made from anyone. I can't say exactly which circuit they're using (I know Dan developed his own), but I published a circuit about 6 years ago to do the same thing here if you're curious how it works.
The Dreamcast outputs horizontal and vertical sync regardless of whether you're in 480i mode or 480p mode, but only outputs c-sync when 480i mode is selected.
These cables ignore the Dreamcast's native c-sync and simply take the h+v sync signals that are always output and combine them to c-sync, so you always have a c-sync output regardless if you're in 480i or 480p mode.
The switch on the cables just sets the Dreamcast video mode, it doesn't affect the circuit in the cable.