Redirecting SCART outputs to RCA Jacks

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
grumpygamer

Redirecting SCART outputs to RCA Jacks

Post by grumpygamer »

Hi everyone, my name is Andres and I am an over 40 shmup and retro games enthusiast.

I have acquired a couple of CRT TVs (Trinitron KV-M1421U and Samsung CI-20S20BT) for free (spares and repair) and both of them have SCART ports that have RGB enabled (apparently) - well with the pin 16 being 1-3V that is.

The Samsung is now fixed - The vertical deflector chip had gone;
I've been troubleshooting the Trinitron and that has a faulty power chip that I have already ordered.

OK to get to the point I have got myself an HDFury 2 in order to be able to get an HDMI signal into the TV via an RGB breakout cable, but OBVS the TV has no RCA Jacks, just a SCART input so I thought to myself: instead of RGB modding the TV I will just divert the SCART inputs to RCA, but been thinking about this: what is the best way to do it?
grumpygamer

Re: Redirecting SCART outputs to RCA Jacks

Post by grumpygamer »

Ok the idea is that I have some RCAs at the back of the screen so here's my idea on how I'd do it.
Is the sync right? I would be getting the RGB enabling signal from a Voltage regulator in the tv
https://postimg.cc/6yY6x1f0
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

how about one of these?
strayan

Post by strayan »

maxtherabbit wrote:how about one of these?

Link?

Edit: Nevermind, found Scart Adapter Scart male to 4x RCA female RGB https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scart-Adapt ... 2642740966
grumpygamer

Post by grumpygamer »

Hey thanks for this, I will order one of them, though where do they get the sync signal and the 1-3V for activating the RGB?
Ideally I would have preferred to give my TV to have the option of RCAs.

Any further ideas on that?
Thanks
grumpygamer

Post by grumpygamer »

Just thought of a couple of things that won't work with that adapter:

1. Audio
2. With the HDFury how do I get the composite (The yellow RCA I'm assuming) in as the breakout has only 3 x cables coming out. Is that necessary?
strayan

Post by strayan »

I need more information about what you are trying to do.

Firstly, upon a cursory readthrough I don’t think the HDFury2 outputs RGBs, just Component (YUV) and RGBHV so on its own this device may not meet your need UNLESS the TV will take Component YUV via the scart input (sometimes there’s a service menu option for this).

Secondly, which device/s are you trying to connect via HDMI? Have you checked that they output 480i?

Thirdly, if you confirm your TV only takes RGBs, your console (or whatever you are trying to connect via HDMI) outputs 480i and you want to keep your HDFury2 then you would need to add another device to the chain; either a sync combiner which converts RGBHV to RGBs or a Component to RGBs transcoder. This is a kinda silly and expensive way of doing it though.

Hardly anyone around here would just be trying to convert a 480i HDMI signal to RGBs because they’re mostly fans of 240p. Is this actually what you want?
grumpygamer

Post by grumpygamer »

Hey, thank you very much for looking into this!
The HDFury2 CAN output RGB signal (it has a switch in fact to change between YUV and RGB), so that should be OK.
Amongst other nostalgia uses I would like to

1. Put arcade machine emulators on it
2. Run some very old TV Shows I have stored away on it in the kitchen

I am not sure how to do this and neither how to hook this thing up as it only has 3 x cables coming out

Image (sorry images don't seem to work)
https://i1.wp.com/zatznotfunny.com/wp-c ... C198&ssl=1

and manual
https://www.hdfury.com/docs/HDfury2manual.pdf

... and YES both TVs have accept RGB signals via SCART
does this make more sense?
Thanks!
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Sorry, but I'm also confused:

You want HDMI out to an HDFury, and then from HDFury to an Scart RGB TV?

Ok, but which equipemnt is on the HDMI out? An PC?

Regarding the connection, if you just grab an VGA to Scart RGB cable (like the ones used for Arcade PC with CRT_EmuDrivers, and MiSTer FPGA, etc. you don't need the RCA route and have also the sound problem resolved.

But depedending on what device you will be using for HDMI, you are probabbly adding a lot of uncessary gadgets, and not the ideal also for playing arcade games
grumpygamer

Post by grumpygamer »

Hello, thank you for your reply!
Yes I am thinking a PC on the output, maybe a raspberry pi? I don't know exactly WHAT as long as it can stream from plex, out to the hdfury and into the TV.
It also has to be powerful enough to run MAME.
Nowadays PCs don't have VGA anymore and as far as I remember VGA doesn't carry audio.

Also other consoles (Gamecube, NES, etc) have RGB breakout cables and I would like to attach them as well.
I think even the megadrive has RGB output (https://gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm)
Thank you all very much for your help
strayan

Post by strayan »

A pi can be connected using http://pi2jamma.info/pi2scart you don’t need a HDFury2.

If you want to connect your PC I can’t assist you unless I know whether your TV is 15kHz or 31kHz and whether you want 480p, 480i or 240p.
grumpygamer

Post by grumpygamer »

Hey, thanks for that info, didn't know that the PI could use SCART!

I currently have 2 x CRTs

1. Trinitron KV-M1421U ( Chassis BE-2A )
2 . Samsung CI-20S20BT ( Chassis S15A )

I think they are both 15KHz, but unsure on the res as service manuals say nothing about that.
If you want to have a look at the manuals let me know and I'll set up a link for you guys to download them.

Also I think a Pi is fine for streaming video (? - Never used one before), but probably wanted to attach a modern laptop to it for emulation/gaming purposes (hence the HDFury).
Some emulation such as Atomiswave and a bit more power-hungry systems won't run on a Pi I am assuming

I had a look at the PI-Scart project and it seems very good, but once everything is added to the cart it ends up costing around 250 euro, now the HDFury only cost me 20£ and laptops I already have to use with it, so I will save up, but for now I would like to consider the HDFury option if possible

Thank you
strayan

Post by strayan »

grumpygamer wrote:Hey, thanks for that info, didn't know that the PI could use SCART!

I currently have 2 x CRTs

1. Trinitron KV-M1421U ( Chassis BE-2A )
2 . Samsung CI-20S20BT ( Chassis S15A )

I think they are both 15KHz, but unsure on the res as service manuals say nothing about that.
If you want to have a look at the manuals let me know and I'll set up a link for you guys to download them.
They're almost certainly 15kHz. If you want to keep your HDFury2 then I would suggest you first try and figure out how you can get into the service menu to check whether they can be switched to accept YUV via SCART instead of RGBs. If you can do that you will still need a way to get 480i from your PC. How are you going to do that?
grumpygamer

Post by grumpygamer »

Pardon my noobiness, but why would I choose YUV vs RGB?
I will try and figure out how to get 480i and post back!
Still the goal of this post was to be able to have 3 rcas on the back of the telly where I can plug in RGB signal (having it already on the scart I thought it would be an easy process)

Thanks for your help strayan
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

grumpygamer wrote:Hey thanks for this, I will order one of them, though where do they get the sync signal
From the yellow connector
and the 1-3V for activating the RGB?
Nowhere, you'll either have to wire that up yourself or force your TV into RGB mode another way - e.g. some Sony TVs allow manual selection of composite/S-Video/RGB for the SCART button by hitting the input mutton multiple times.
grumpygamer wrote:Just thought of a couple of things that won't work with that adapter:

1. Audio
You could open it and solder some RCA plugs to the audio pins
2. With the HDFury how do I get the composite (The yellow RCA I'm assuming) in as the breakout has only 3 x cables coming out. Is that necessary?
You'll need to find a way to get CSync from your HDFury and connect that to the yellow RCA, possibly with an additional resistor in series if the signal has TTL instead of video levels.
grumpygamer

Post by grumpygamer »

Unseen wrote: From the yellow connector
Great, thanks!
Unseen wrote: Nowhere, you'll either have to wire that up yourself or force your TV into RGB mode another way - e.g. some Sony TVs allow manual selection of composite/S-Video/RGB for the SCART button by hitting the input mutton multiple times.
Ok so I could hardwire this with a switch?
Unseen wrote: You could open it and solder some RCA plugs to the audio pins
OK!
Unseen wrote: You'll need to find a way to get CSync from your HDFury and connect that to the yellow RCA, possibly with an additional resistor in series if the signal has TTL instead of video levels.
Is there anywhere else I can get the sync from? I know that some signals give the sync on the green?
Not sure how this HDFury works, but from the few videos I've seen no one mentions sync... but I think it's needed so a bit tangled with this one.

I think I would still prefer to have the double option to either use a scart or plug in some RCAs at the back?
Is this a dumb idea as no one seems to be addressing it? :D

On a different note the IC for the Trintron has arrived so I'll try swapping it out tonight and hopefully the old glory will rise again!

Edit: from the HDFury 2 FAQs:
My display has composite (ie: combined) sync with only 4 BNC inputs not 5. (Examples: Barco 7xx/Cine7 or Ampro). What cable do I order? How do I hook it up?

Order the GREEN (5-BNC breakout cable) and combine the H/V sync lines using a $2 BNC T-connector . You could also use an Extron 109 or 202 box as well to combine the two sync lines.

My Barco requires negative sync to work. Does the HDfury2 output negative sync?

The HDfury2 does not alter the signal that it is fed in any way. If it is fed a negative sync signal, it will output a negative sync signal. If it is fed a positive sync signal, it will output a positive sync signal. You can use boxes from Extron or Altinex to invert the sync if required. To alter the sync to make it work with your projector, you can add an RTC2200 box to your HDfury2 setup.
I pasted this here as makes little sense to my little brain!
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Only returned today.

So after reading what you want to connect, here is my advise (Retrogaming only, not sure about streaming video, but I personally choose an big screen for movies):

If you will only play old games, like CPS1, or console games like MD, SNES, PC Engine, the Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a VGA hat, like the PI2SCART, or others available, it's an cheap option. And it's very portable, and you prepare an Micro SD card and are good to go with a few tweks. I'm not a big fan of the Pi because of it's limitations (the Pi 4 still have issues), and it's not a true experience regarding the emulation.

If you want to have an fixed setup, allways connected to your CRT, and maybe you already have some PC to use, or build one just for this, the PC is an better option (using CRT_EmuDrivers).

Just bear in mind you will need an used GPU (cheap on ebay) like the AMD Radeon HD 5000/6000/7000 Series,or a more recent, you can choose until the R9 380X (i believe it's the last one with anolog out DVI-I), the RX 400/500. and the Vega series can also work, but you will need an HDMI to VGA adapter, and that can cause also some issues

Using an PC with AMD compatible GPU you can solve all the sync issues you will face with that HD Fury/4 RCA Phono adapter. You just have to buy an UMSA from Arcadeforge, or a home made VGA to scart cable with usb cable for +5v. It's 9,90€ in some web stores.

Another great new option for retro gaming, it's an FPGA like the MiSTer, you can have CPS1, Neogeo, consoles all faithfully on your crt.
grumpygamer

Post by grumpygamer »

Hi Overkill, thanks for the reply.
Though I still have no idea how to switch the SCART over to RCAs on the back, I find your suggestions intriguing.

Yes I would like to play mainly arcade games with an attached device, but I would prefer not to buy extra hardware as I already have laptops and computers at home that I would hook up when needed. That's the idea behind the HDFury 2: little cost and have Mame or the CRT version of Mame running on a laptop.

Also I don't think a Pi could run an atomiswave emulator.

For streaming content the laptop still represents the cheapest solution if I get it to work;

another post I opened was in fact to be able to use the video signal from the RF and hijack that somehow and use that for video streaming and use the RGB (or SCART) to play games.

Thanks