Mister FPGA vs Real Hardware, Any Regrets?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Bassa-Bassa

Re: Mister FPGA vs Real Hardware, Any Regrets?

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Johnpv wrote:I recently got a MiSTer setup. I was excited by the idea of lag free arcade cores. I have alot of consoles, and some of the Analogue stuff, which I like using OG hardware and games with, so I wasn't looking to replace that. So I haven't really messed with the console side of things outside of some testing. For me I'll be honest I've been disappointed in the MiSTer's ........I call it usability. Some of the things I like about the Analogue stuff is the exact control over the resolution, and that I have the option to adjust the timing of the consoles by a small percentage so that the output refresh matches the HDMI standard. I wish I had some of those options here. Plus I feel I've had a hard time finding a filter that actually just puts a small blur on the horizontal axis, but leaves the vertical untouched. So far all the ones I've tried that claim to do this soften both axis too much for me. Then because my tv and some other HDMI equipment don't like oddball refresh rates (similar reason why I stick with my framemeister instead of getting an OSSC) I have to run the mister with the vsync mode that adds 2 frames of lag. So not lagless any more. My other big issue is how much of a wild west the vertical arcade cores are. Some rotate CW, some rotate CCW, and there is no way to control that. I've got an expensive wall mount for my tv that rotates CCW which was how almost everything that supports tate rotates, so all the ones that go the other way are kind of useless to me.

I understand wanting to be 100% accurate in recreating things, and I understand the 80s were a wild west period with no standards for some of this stuff, but I wish there were usability options. Right now for my experience, and this is mostly in regards to the arcade stuff, I don't really mess with the console cores, its been kind of meh. Between the 2 frames of lag, and the wild west of vertical games, I don't really know if I gain anything over my PI4 setup for arcade games. It is exciting stuff, and I see so much potential there, I just wish there was some one who could convince people to add in some usability improvements.
If I'm not mistaken, the problem with featuring an option to turn clockwise instead of anti-clockwise or vice versa the vertical monitor games is that it'd add another whole frame of latency, but it doesn't sound like something which could not be solved with the time - I'm not sure if the devs are too interested in this matter, though. Or I may be totally wrong at this point.

As for the rest, well, you're comparing the Mister with "clone" solutions designed for the HD era, not with the original systems. I'm not saying that the Mister is not one of those, but if you're after accuracy and a lag-free solution, I believe you should contemplate the usage of a CRT.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:but if you're after accuracy and a lag-free solution, I believe you should contemplate the usage of a CRT.
Or if that's not viable, a more competent HD TV (there are plenty) or gaming monitor.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

azmun wrote: And for most, "better" just means more convenient. For the purist, anything less than real resonates without soul.
This is poetic. I would add enthusiasts fall somewhere in between.

On the discussion of accuracy, there's much more than picture quality, input lag, or gameplay, that can contribute to inaccuracy. The tactile experience and aesthetic of the console count also. Having a game collection, choosing a game from your collection, inserting the game into the console, flipping the switch, and having that game load immediately adds something lost with emulation (hardware or software). To a "purest", a menu adds one layer of complexity & removes one layer of accuracy. MISTer doesn't look like the OG console, nor is it as big and stable. I have cords with enough cable strain to lift it off the spot I placed it. I almost feel like I need to anchor it.

I like plugging controllers into it my OG console, having a cartridge inserted, going to game stores and alleviating my conscience when I finally get to buy a physical copy of a game I originally discovered through emulation or a romcart. I enjoy displaying and looking at games on a shelf, even if my Dreamcast doesn't have a GDrom anymore...lol. While I'm fine with sacrificing some authenticity for convenience, I still enjoy looking at the OG console I remember. It actually eats at me to have my RGB modded SNES mini in my main setup, instead of my stock 1-chip, because it's not the SNES I remember. But it's smaller and fits better. I feel dumb for being annoyed by this, but I am none the less.

I wonder which aspects of "accuracy"most people care about? It's just so subjective.
azmun

Post by azmun »

RIP-Felix wrote:I wonder which aspects of "accuracy"most people care about? It's just so subjective.
The simplicity and plug and play nature of old skool consoles is something perhaps few care about these days but matters much to me. In fact, I don't appreciate tinkering/tweaking and one of the aspects that's a bit off-putting with newer tech. I realise it's a double-edged sword and goes back to the subjectivity of what is accurate and/or conforms to our individual tastes and preferences. Regarding your question, I doubt we'll ever get an answer.

Accuracy implies making comparisons to some specification, value or standard. My gut feel tells me very few are really in a position (i.e. qualified) to make sweeping generalizations about cores since we cannot really say with certainty about the entire library that run on them but rather individual games that play on these cores. I would say speedrunners and other players who have dedicated hundreds if not thousands of hours or more in particular games are in authority to make credible conclusions about accuracy.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

In the vast majority of cases, when discussing MiSTer or other non-original hardware solutions, the term "accuracy" simply refers to the reproduction of graphics, sound, speed, glitches, and any other aspect strictly related to gameplay. Other external/environmental aspects of the experience are probably better captured by a notion like "authenticity".
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

azmun wrote:
RIP-Felix wrote:I wonder which aspects of "accuracy"most people care about? It's just so subjective.
The simplicity and plug and play nature of old skool consoles is something perhaps few care about these days but matters much to me. In fact, I don't appreciate tinkering/tweaking and one of the aspects that's a bit off-putting with newer tech. I realise it's a double-edged sword and goes back to the subjectivity of what is accurate and/or conforms to our individual tastes and preferences. Regarding your question, I doubt we'll ever get an answer.
I catch myself time and time again spending more time tinkering, tweaking, and testing than actually playing games, and I hate it. I love playing games on PC since they run so much better, but I can't resist ini tweaks, graphics driver overrides, and whatever else is involved in getting a game running "perfectly".
With my OSSC I do my best to leave it on Generic 4:3 scaling modes and accept that it looks much better than I've ever seen a retro console look on a flat screen. If I tried to get into optimal sampling for everything I don't think I'd ever actually play an old game.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

I think the only potential concern I have diving into Mister is the longevity of any given platform the project is based on. As an example, pretty much all current development is based on the DE10-Nano boards and the FPGA that those have. What happens if/when those go out of production? I'm obviously not familiar with FPGA development on any technical level so I'm not sure how it would be affected if the base platform Mister uses were to change.

Basically I guess I'm somewhat nervous at this point about getting hit with early adopter syndrome, where I invest in the thing that's out now, then something cooler and better comes out and new development shifts over to that and the older platform gets deprecated.

It's probably an inevitably on some level, it's just one that keeps me eyeing development and not quite pulling the trigger yet, waiting for that "right moment" to check it out lol
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

For some reason it's a frequent concern for people, that the DE10-nano platform will become obsolete soon.

This is something I'll never understand. Don't worry about it! It will be fine for 5-6 years at least, if not more. It'll have a longer life cycle than current-gen consoles. Let this go. Maybe there should be an easily available FAQ somewhere where this is one of the first questions, so that people stop worrying.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the problem with featuring an option to turn clockwise instead of anti-clockwise or vice versa the vertical monitor games is that it'd add another whole frame of latency, but it doesn't sound like something which could not be solved with the time - I'm not sure if the devs are too interested in this matter, though. Or I may be totally wrong at this point.

As for the rest, well, you're comparing the Mister with "clone" solutions designed for the HD era, not with the original systems. I'm not saying that the Mister is not one of those, but if you're after accuracy and a lag-free solution, I believe you should contemplate the usage of a CRT.
fernan1234 wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:but if you're after accuracy and a lag-free solution, I believe you should contemplate the usage of a CRT.
Or if that's not viable, a more competent HD TV (there are plenty) or gaming monitor.
This is part of my problem with the MiSTer community, instead of considering usability options, its go out and buy something else. No we won't try to make this project work with as much stuff as possible you go out and replace all your equipment that works with everything but this project. These kinds of responses are frustrating.

I knew I shouldn't have posted in this thread, because any time this shit comes up no one wants to actually talk about usability things and its always just "go buy other stuff".
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I understand your complaint, but these are not answers from the Mister "community", but from people trying to suggest a solution for today. I'm sure the Mister community would tell you that everything comes to him who waits. Unlike Analogue's, it's not a finished, commercial product.

Now, if my opinion means something, this,
adjust the timing of the consoles by a small percentage so that the output refresh matches the HDMI standard
is a hacky way to solve your problem (a bad TV set), no matter how common it is. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:I understand your complaint, but these are not answers from the Mister "community", but from people trying to suggest a solution for today. I'm sure the Mister community would tell you that everything comes to him who waits. Unlike Analogue's, it's not a finished, commercial product.
Except it was the response I got when I brought this up in the MiSTer channel on the Classic Gaming Discord. It was like even suggesting any of these changes was personally insulting their mothers, and to just go out and buy other equipment.
Now, if my opinion means something, this,
adjust the timing of the consoles by a small percentage so that the output refresh matches the HDMI standard
is a hacky way to solve your problem (a bad TV set), no matter how common it is. Two wrongs don't make a right.
I fully disagree. In the cases I've used it in, HiDefNes, Super NT, Mega SG, and I believe even the Gameboy Advance Consolizer, the speed difference is negligible. You're talking about such a minimal change, around 1%, that only the top top best speed runners out there could probably tell a difference.

Also it's not a bad tv or bad hdmi equipment, they work with everything but the MiSTer which is sending out of HDMI spec signals. Just because something doesn't accept out of fucking spec signals doesn't make it bad.

I really don't understand why increasing usability for more people is such an affront.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

These kinds of responses are frustrating.
I couldn't agree more. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say no more than 5% of MiSTer users are strictly using CRTs. And to be honest: the other 95% are denied a perfect set of OPTIONS by this.

Nobody wants anyone to give up anything, but it's great to have OPTIONS. Changing the orientation of the output on the analogue output is one perfectly good example. And to accept a frame of lag while in return not having to tilt your monitor from one side to the other, sounds like a good trade-off to me.

Analogue decided to run their cores at 100% compatible speeds, without granting the option to run the original speed instead. MiSTer does the opposite. I can't help to wonder if we can't have both options available, without trying to enforce one or the other onto the users.

This said, I enjoy the MiSTer. I wouldn't think of selling my original systems though. Not necessarily because I want to actually use them, but because I get joy out of having them around.

I have a hard time believing that there's anybody out there that couldn't be convinced of the benefits by good MiSTer demo. Yes, there's a crowd that won't touch a rom file for any reason, but anybody else should be easily convinced. The money aspect should be reason enough for most. Even if you with flash carts for all your retro systems, you're still looking at a LOT of money to cover what the MiSTer currently offers. For me the quality of the video output alone is reason enough to stay with the MiSTer. Counting the hours (and the money) I have spend with modding all those systems to their best RGB capabilities, I'm easy amazed by how the MiSTer outshines many of those mods "out of the box".

From a casual user perspective the biggest problem is the overload the MiSTer provides. If you haven't been into the project for the past year and are starting from scratch right now, then the available options are overwhelming. Too many systems, too many options, to many games. I don't think that anybody that just starts with a 400GB SD card full of games will find much happiness. The MiSTer requires (and deserves) a certain amount of time to get into. Start with certain, selected cores of your choice and a personal selection of games. If you just copy 5,000 games to a SD card you won't find the MiSTer more entertaining than your next best Retropie setup. Unfortunately this exact behaviour is advertised and in parts expected, while I think it simply takes the fun out of it.
donluca

Post by donluca »

I feel like this is the same MAME argument which has been going on forever.

The answer is that each project has their own priorities.
While we've had loads of options until now which focused on the usability side, MiSTer decided to make perfect accuracy its highest priority.
Once it has achieved that, it will probably start improving the usability side of things, granted that it won't affect the accuracy of the cores.

Also, do not confuse accuracy with authenticity, those are two separate things.

Accurate means "I send an input, I get the exact same output I expect from real hardware with the exact same timing in video and sound".

Authenticity is trying to recreate the entire experience which includes, of course, the plugging of the carts, using the original controllers, etc.
Some may even joke that part of the authenticity would be also putting also all the issues the original hardware had, so who knows, maybe one day we'll have so much authenticity that the repro hardware will break down or start showing issues just like the real thing did. /s
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

Johnpv wrote:In the cases I've used it in, HiDefNes, Super NT, Mega SG, and I believe even the Gameboy Advance Consolizer, the speed difference is negligible. You're talking about such a minimal change, around 1%, that only the top top best speed runners out there could probably tell a difference.
I'm not a speedrunner, but I can definitely tell a difference in terms of sound/music pitch. Especially Gameboy sounds very different under different speeds.
Johnpv wrote:Also it's not a bad tv or bad hdmi equipment, they work with everything but the MiSTer which is sending out of HDMI spec signals. Just because something doesn't accept out of fucking spec signals doesn't make it bad.
Mister's vsync_adjust=2 mode is more compatible than OSSC. Problems with TV compatibility are somewhat expected for the more hardcore retrogaming. You either use emulators with all of their options, use something like Framemeister or compatibility modes (that all add lag), or get more compatible equipment.
Johnpv wrote:I really don't understand why increasing usability for more people is such an affront.
Changing a non-standard refresh rate to 60hz is not a trivial thing to do for an FPGA implementation. As I understand, you basically have to change the clocks for different components on a per-core basis. Kevtris specifically created his cores to allow for that. It's not something that you can easily do with a core that was initially programmed for a different frequency.

So while an answer 'go buy other equipment' may sound dismissive, try to look at it from a developer's point of view. Somebody puts their best effort to create an accurate implementation, and then some user comes in and complaints that there's no option to switch the refresh rate, like it would be an easy thing to do.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Fudoh wrote:
These kinds of responses are frustrating.
I couldn't agree more. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say no more than 5% of MiSTer users are strictly using CRTs. And to be honest: the other 95% are denied a perfect set of OPTIONS by this.

Nobody wants anyone to give up anything, but it's great to have OPTIONS. Changing the orientation of the output on the analogue output is one perfectly good example. And to accept a frame of lag while in return not having to tilt your monitor from one side to the other, sounds like a good trade-off to me.

Analogue decided to run their cores at 100% compatible speeds, without granting the option to run the original speed instead. MiSTer does the opposite. I can't help to wonder if we can't have both options available, without trying to enforce one or the other onto the users.

This is all I am saying, is that options aren't a bad thing. I am not saying to take away the accurate perfect timings, just give us an option for adjusted timing. I was really taken a back on the classic gaming discord at how offended people were at anyone suggesting adding something like that. I know I'm not the first either, you google this stuff and there are tons of people out there wanting similar, or the ability to change how a vertical game is rotated. The options thing tied into one of my other complaints about controlling how the image is scaled, I'd love more controls there to dial in a perfect 4x or 5x scale, vs just what ever the MiSTer feels like scaling it to.

I thought Analogue did add in the option to run the cores at OG speeds, but I could be wrong there. I know there was an option with frame tearing and another one after that.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I thought Analogue did add in the option to run the cores at OG speeds, but I could be wrong there. I know there was an option with frame tearing and another one after that.
you might be right, but then again it doesn't make any sense without the option to run the HDMI output at the same refresh rate and this option certainly isn't available.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fudoh wrote:I couldn't agree more. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say no more than 5% of MiSTer users are strictly using CRTs. And to be honest: the other 95% are denied a perfect set of OPTIONS by this.

Not sure if one of us misunderstanding something, but there is no trade-off between the analogue output support with accurate speed and the scaled HDMI output. The core's output either goes through the scaler or not (even via HDMI with direct video used with DACs). And in turn, if the scaler is used, there are three compatibility options, and those have trade-offs between no added lag vs. greater TV/monitor compatibility.

As has been mentioned, for those with TVs and monitors more sensitive to out of spec signals, there is the option of a more compatible mode at the cost of added lag (and not a large amount). So there are options that don't necessarily involve buying new stuff. There's always tradeoffs when using flat panels, even with the alternative approach of standardizing the signal to 60Hz (frame skips, tearing, different pitch in audio, etc.).
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Don't check this thread for a few hours and I miss solid gold. Arasoi went out hard, editing out all the posts. They were dreadfully transparent, anyone that bought a mister was smart, anyone that did not was dumb and wrong. :lol:
bobrocks95 wrote:I catch myself time and time again spending more time tinkering, tweaking, and testing than actually playing games, and I hate it.
I've seen a lot of friends and other people fall into this pattern. The idea of emulation sounds appealing to me as does having a big set-up with all consoles hooked up but in practice I never played much with either of those options. I have found that for me, it's better to have a smaller number of consoles out. Being in a position of having to move a bunch of stuff physically makes it easier for me to lock in and finish what I'm playing.

I have one friend that I think likes tinkering with emu settings more than playing games. Which is fine, he does what he enjoys.

I do have another friend that recently got a mister and is loving it. He is the type that would cycle through what vintage consoles he had and never build up too big of a collection. I'm interested in his Super NT if he decides to ditch it due to mister. 8)
Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

To clarify, the Contra core I was provided footage of by Bassa behaves exactly like MAME, wrt the 3D stages' rolling mines. They bunch up in the lower-right while I sit back and blaze the mighty joint seen on the title screen, then SHOOT THA CORE. They're supposed to spread out as clipped in the linked post (here is a full run, if it helps with further testing)

I'm personally curious about this bug, as it is a long-running one, affecting not just MAME, but also every official emulation of Contra with the sole exception of Hamster's Arcade Archives release (source of above footage). ACA ver was developed by Gotch Technologies, founded by ex-Rutubos, they are some hardcore pipe-hittin motherfuckers who do the job and vanish before the bodies done hit the ground. Image

That is all I know. ;3

YO WTF ARASOI, COKE NINJA AV WAS 1ST-RATE >_<
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Thanks for explaining it here. That bug exemplifies like no other my biggest concern with the Mister project, that the devs lack good testers (or love for the games they study) and that quantity is gaining priority over quality, much like it happened to Mame. I'm aware that every developer is different, but if even the well-regarded Jotego doesn't bother to check Mametesters just out of curiousity, it's not a good signal.

Said that, I don't know if it has reached him at this point somehow. Let's just blame twitter and patreon.

donluca wrote:While we've had loads of options until now which focused on the usability side, MiSTer decided to make perfect accuracy its highest priority.
Which goes against the idea of setting the Neogeo core's refresh at 59.94Hz instead of the original 59.18 for better TV compatibility, as I read in a post by Sorgelig himself. I mean, it's not a core just about the AES version.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I don't know if Jotego is aware of that bug or not yet, but I don't think you should single it out and generalize about the whole MiSTer project based on it. Different devs maintain their cores differently. Some release them and deem them good enough and never touch them again (though Sorg and others can always make general improvements such as updating the framework for them), while others actively work on reported bugs and add features.

But even regarding this one bug, the beauty of the project is that is is open source, and anyone can work on fixing it at any point in time. You can remain hopeful that small remaining inaccuracies will be fixed eventually, and while you wait for that you can enjoy other material that is already reproduced accurately.

At the end of the day, the project as a whole may have approaches or philosophies you don't agree with, but at this time it is literally peerless and stands head and shoulders above all other non-original hardware solutions overall (individual case exceptions may apply).
BIL

Post by BIL »

fernan1234 wrote:But even regarding this one bug, the beauty of the project is that is is open source, and anyone can work on fixing it at any point in time. You can remain hopeful that small remaining inaccuracies will be fixed eventually, and while you wait for that you can enjoy other material that is already reproduced accurately.
Concurred. With PS2 and earlier, I'm pretty militantly "factory code or bust." That carved-in-stone aspect is just part of the era's charm for me (Hamster's PS2 Contra disc is bugged just like the rest... still, amusing to have around with the similarly boned PS2 Haunted Castle, opposite the perfect ACA versions that live on my PS4's HDD). I don't ever plan on playing my copy of Holy Diver again, learning to work around its bugs for the no-miss practically brain-damaged me, with a stiff two-week detox of Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania required. Sure as hell ain't parting with it though. Image

Things are more fluid nowadays. Even M2's superlative ShotTriggers work has benefited from patches post-release. At this point I'm more about emulating and/or porting arcade stuff wholesale, there'll always be something to polish up post-release.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Not sure if one of us misunderstanding something, but there is no trade-off between the analogue output support with accurate speed and the scaled HDMI output. The core's output either goes through the scaler or not (even via HDMI with direct video used with DACs). And in turn, if the scaler is used, there are three compatibility options, and those have trade-offs between no added lag vs. greater TV/monitor compatibility.
I don't consider downstream framerate conversion a solution. It's a dirty hack, it's annoying and it causes more lag than necessary.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fudoh wrote:I don't consider downstream framerate conversion a solution. It's a dirty hack, it's annoying and it causes more lag than necessary.
The approach has downsides. Standardizing the output to 60Hz also has its own, and it'll depend on taste and usage which one is seen as worse. But again, this is not dependent on the analogue output support (and I also think MiSTer CRT users are significantly more than 5%, and there is also a lot of crossover with people using dual outputs).

Each core would need to be coded to support both approaches, like Kevtris' cores do.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The approach has downsides. Standardizing the output to 60Hz also has its own
hence, our talk why OPTIONS are welcome :mrgreen:
(and I also think MiSTer CRT users are significantly more than 5%, and there is also a lot of crossover with people using dual outputs).
you think so? I really don't know. Of like 20 people I know owning one, a single one is using a CRT (and that's a 31khz monitor). That's probably still more as with the Analogue machines of course.
Each core would need to be coded to support both approaches, like Kevtris' cores do.
do they? We quickly talked about this a few postings prior. I had the feeling the you can't set the HDMI output on the Mega SG to the actual ("real") core's refresh rate.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fudoh wrote:hence, our talk why OPTIONS are welcome
Of course! I don't think adding the option is flatly out of the question. I don't know what Sorgelig's position on this particular point is, but even if he thinks it's stupid (as he does of many things), he'll say that if anyone wants to implement it they are free to do so.
Fudoh wrote:do they? We quickly talked about this a few postings prior. I had the feeling the you can't set the HDMI output on the Mega SG to the actual ("real") core's refresh rate.
Actually I'm not familiar with his newer stuff. I had the NT Mini in mind, which I believe supports both output modes, but I could be wrong.