Mister FPGA vs Real Hardware, Any Regrets?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
slai50

Mister FPGA vs Real Hardware, Any Regrets?

Post by slai50 »

With all the updates and cores mister has been getting, I'm finally thinking of jumping ship from real hardware to mister. For those who have owned real hardware and switched to mister, are you happy with your decision or do you wish you would have kept your consoles?
XtraSmiley

Re: Mister FPGA vs Real Hardware, Any Regrets?

Post by XtraSmiley »

I’m curious about this answer as well. But to you I say why not keep both for now? Buy it and then also keep your old systems until you decide what you like better.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

So I am a huge fan of original hardware, now that I have a mister with the blisster I have seriously considered selling a lot of my collection. I will never sell my childhood systems, but things like sega cd, pcengine cd I just don't know what's the point. They look amazing through the output, play the same, and now I can use the original controllers. I am still going to hang on to everything... but I am way closer to giving them up than I ever thought I would be.
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

While I’ve been loving my Mister, I don’t think I’d be able to get rid of my original hardware. But the Mister certainly has streamlined my setup.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

I think I'm still in some sort of "self-discovery" phase regarding this, and don't know what my 'final form' will be. I doubt I could ever get rid of hardware for extreme favorites such as NES and SNES, but I think I'm ok with using MiSTer as a substitute if I had a burning desire to play a SNES RPG in my bedroom and didn't want to migrate the cord hell of SNES + hookups + OSSC + etc. to the bedroom.

Now I have decided I no longer care about Game Gear enough to deal with original hardware. Even with a modded Game Gear with viletim's tv-out board, Game Gear is still is annoying. No pretty way to consolize it without a ton of work, games have borders around them that can change color depending on the game/scene, and sometime have other superfluous visuals in them. On MiSTer I can make those borders black when using a CRT, or on HDMI I can just scale it to ignore the borders entirely. I'm not even that crazy about Game Gear either, it was just a stepping stone along the way to "gotta get all the Sega systems!" years ago.

I love PC-Engine as well, but all the CD hardware seems to be fickle in one way another (best bet seems to be a Duo-R), but the MiSTer core for it is so good now that I'm having an existential crisis of my commitment to real hardware, at least for that system.
I also find myself not being as fond of Sega CD anymore, but that core still has a decent amount of bugs where I can't even start considering it as a substitute/replacement.

Ultimately I feel like there's the possibility that MiSTer might possibly get me to scale back some on original hardware, but I don't feel like I could just completely sell off everything that it runs well. It just seems like it'd make the experience a bit too soul-less, like a less extreme version of having a bunch of roms and emulators.
Part of this too might just be me getting older and realizing there's "somewhat neat" games/hardware that have been sitting in my collection for a decade nearly untouched and the realization I'll probably never touch them since there's much better options to play in our limited adulthood time.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:I also find myself not being as fond of Sega CD anymore, but that core still has a decent amount of bugs where I can't even start considering it as a substitute/replacement.
Are there many more than these: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MegaCD_MiSTer/issues ?

For some reason I thought that this core was in very good status (like the MD core).
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

If you're a purist anything but the real hard/software will be an underwhelming experience for you. Without wanting to provoke a huge discussion, i think it's safe to say that for 99,9% of the people emulation of 8 and 16bit systems has been flawless for years already. The formfactor and console-like instant-ish on is the main difference.
Myself i'm more of a purist at heart but seeing the prices i've been more than happy to sell up and play on pc.
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

It's all about how much you care about having a particular 'experience' with a certain console. I love my NES/SNES/Mega Drive, and I often get the desire to play on an original system. I don't really notice any difference between original and MiSTer in terms of the actual gameplay, it's all about the nostalgia feels. If that's important to you, keep the original consoles, as you may regret selling them later.

In terms of accuracy and ease of use, MiSTer is now peerless. For consoles that I didn't have as a child, like PC Engine and Neo Geo, MiSTer now provides the best possible way to play, much better than the expensive and unreliable original hardware, with faster loading, to boot. So as replacement for consoles that you don't have any special attachment to, MiSTer is the way to go.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Given that this is in the Hardware forum I'd hardly believe that the OP is wondering about the emotional aspects, which obviously is a subjective thing. So let this thread be an interesting one about accuracy/differentiations, please?
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Considering that Jotego's work for FPGA is usually regarded as one of the most accurate and clean, maybe "extremely" is just way too hyperbolic?

viewtopic.php?p=1411972#p1411972
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Arasoi wrote:Are you enjoying your collection?

Thank hard now.

Yes?

Don't sell it. Enjoy your game room.

No?

Sell it. Buy a MiSTer and join the community.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNK YYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

The fact of the matter is emulation has been good enough for a long time, if you just want to fire up a game. Owning original hardware and games is all about collecting. I have a large PS2 collection but I just play the games via OPL after ripping them. Even this is just because I like original hardware and CRTs. Emulation is I would say a better experience technically for PS2, Gamecube and Wii. Probably similar for other 3D consoles but I don't have as much experience there.

Like Arasoi said, if your collection brings you joy keep it, expand it if you want. If it's become overbearing for you, then get rid of it. These are questions you have to ask yourself.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Yeah this is totally subjective. I have had a MiSTer for a long time now, and it really is great.. but I hardly use it as all my original hardware is set up and ready to go. Somehow I feel like I would play fewer different games if I just had a MiSTer.. like being paralyzed by choice. But that's just me.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

There is tactile experience associated with original hardware that will never be matched by emulation (FPGA or software) no matter how accurate it becomes. This may or may not matter to you and is definitely subjective, but for those that it does matter to Mister will never be a replacement for original hardware.

It's like people who collect and play music on vinyl, it's a format that has long been surpassed by digital technologies, but the tactile experience of playing vinyl on a turntable really hits a particular spot for certain people.

So if the question is, "Is Mister accurate enough that gameplay is not negatively impacted" then the answer in most cases is probably yes. If the question is "Is Mister an acceptable replacement for game collecting as a whole" then the answer depends entirely on you.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Arthrimus wrote:There is tactile experience associated with original hardware that will never be matched by emulation (FPGA or software) no matter how accurate it becomes. This may or may not matter to you and is definitely subjective, but for those that it does matter to Mister will never be a replacement for original hardware.

It's like people who collect and play music on vinyl, it's a format that has long been surpassed by digital technologies, but the tactile experience of playing vinyl on a turntable really hits a particular spot for certain people.

So if the question is, "Is Mister accurate enough that gameplay is not negatively impacted" then the answer in most cases is probably yes. If the question is "Is Mister an acceptable replacement for game collecting as a whole" then the answer depends entirely on you.
Yep, well said. It's why I watch laserdiscs instead of movie files on my computer.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I have just got my first Mister and am planning to replace a whole load of consoles with it to free up some physical space. I will pop quite a few treats for sale on this forum when the time comes

For my Snes And Nes to get them to work via my OSSC I had to perform a dejitter mod which adjusted something to allow a proper sync via my Ossc. I appreciate that this can HDMI out directly but that is not how this will be used. I am noticing that the snes and nes core behave exactly the same as my consoles did pre-mod. So the question is, is there a fix for this in the core or mister options to make the same adjustment as the dejitter mod and increase analog compatibility?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

For now you can route the video thru the VGA scaler and run a custom video mode, but it will add a frame of lag but should fix the skew.

Maybe try play with the refresh max min settings?

Code: Select all

; 240p video_mode=320,16,30,34,240,2,3,22,6400

; 240p alternate video_mode=320,10,20,54,240,6,8,10,6400

; 336:252 6.4MHz progressive video_mode=336,10,30,34,252,15,3,42,6400

; 480i video_mode=640,16,88,64,240,6,5,13,12700

; 256:192 Sega Master System (NTSC) video_mode=256,6,17,18,192,26,22,29,4800

; 256:224 NES, SNES (NTSC) video_mode=256,8,17,21,224,7,10,24,4800

; 320:224 Sega Genesis (NTSC) video_mode=320,20,29,35,224,10,14,16,6400

; 320:256 Amiga (PAL) video_mode=320,14,46,28,256,17,32,9,6400

; 0 - 1280x720@60
; 1 - 1024x768@60
; 2 - 720x480@60
; 3 - 720x576@50
; 4 - 1280x1024@60
; 5 - 800x600@60
; 6 - 640x480@60
; 7 - 1280x720@50
; 8 - 1920x1080@60
; 9 - 1920x1080@50
;10 - 1366x768@60
;11 - 1024x600@60 
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

What are you talking about? I made three posts in this thread and all of them ending with a question mark and yet I'm "speaking confidently"? As with "extremely high degree (of accuracy)", may it be the case that you just can't pick your adverbs properly?
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

But I already did, though? You have there one serious issue regarding Contra PCB to report thanks to me. You're welcome.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

MiSTer doesn't have to be seen as a rival to original hardware. It's probably best to see it as a supplement, filling gaps, for example, in the cases of more expensive or rare hardware such as Neo Geo and arcade boards, or more problematic hardware like PCECD.

For stuff like Mega Drive, I know the original console doesn't sound or look as good as it does on MiSTer, which can even give the best of both worlds by displaying crisp RGB combined with dither-blending for transparency effects. But 99% of the time I'll still play on the original hardware that's plugged in and ready to go, since it feels like a smoother experience, and I can have the peace of mind that everything will 100% run as it should.

BTW, MiSTer is such a good platform that it seems to cause existential crises on some fanatic hardware collectors :lol:
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Arasoi wrote:I am still not convinced you know what you are talking about.
Pretty much. You've been missing the point the whole time yet you have fill the thread with retarded condescension. Post something informative and then ask for some respect, I'd say. Your join date isn't working.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Have many of my Cave PCBs can I get rid of and play on this thing? I'm still never selling them but I am curious.
Last edited by pegboy on Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.