Pal360

Re: Sharp analog RGB for the 3-Chip SNES using digital signa

Post by Pal360 »

Any news Opatus on how the project is coming along? :D
Opatus

Post by Opatus »

Pal360 wrote:Any news Opatus on how the project is coming along? :D
Unfortunately the project was on hold since Christmas. I will try to find some time to continue working on it.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I had committed to helping and completely dropped the ball :( Between the package delayed for months in shipping, getting sick and keeping up with the day-to-day, I just totally failed. If anyone wants to help, please DM me a Digikey cart that I can just click on and order, then I'll get the final parts. I'm really, really sorry for the delay.
ikari_01

Post by ikari_01 »

Opatus wrote: Here is a video and an image:

https://youtu.be/n3JoIReIQJw
Yeah, that looks flawless. Awesome job! 8)
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

3-Chip isn't a common term. I get that it's a rare version of the 1-Chip SNES but, unlike other 1-Chips, has no Csync before modding.

Is 3-Chip in the SNES Jr. form only or is it in the normal form factor with native RGB?

Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but does the board have a Bill of Materials or is it closed source? Not against closed source for business reasons. I'm just suspicious of another SNES mod's addition with no proof that it does anything and the chip looks like a Chinese counterfeit.

Still surprises me how little testing or validation of a board is needed to get people to install it in their consoles. First version of NES and N64 RGB mods had flaws that got fixed in the next version. Pre-H revisions of SD2SNES have an audio flaw.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

3 chip refers to all SNES / SFC revisions prior to the 1CHIP

CPU
PPU-1
PPU-2

3 chips
Kez

Post by Kez »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:3-Chip isn't a common term. I get that it's a rare version of the 1-Chip SNES but, unlike other 1-Chips, has no Csync before modding.

Is 3-Chip in the SNES Jr. form only or is it in the normal form factor with native RGB?

Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but does the board have a Bill of Materials or is it closed source? Not against closed source for business reasons. I'm just suspicious of another SNES mod's addition with no proof that it does anything and the chip looks like a Chinese counterfeit.

Still surprises me how little testing or validation of a board is needed to get people to install it in their consoles. First version of NES and N64 RGB mods had flaws that got fixed in the next version. Pre-H revisions of SD2SNES have an audio flaw.
Completion and widespread availability of this mod would be a total gamechanger for the SNES, it's a huge deal really. It would mean that pretty much any SNES can match the video output quality of the 1CHIP with none of the drawbacks. No more playing lottery with serial numbers on eBay, just get any old SNES and install this mod. It also lays a strong foundation for future HDMI mods.

I'm not sure your suspicions have any basis in reality tbh, as OP has had long technical discussions with a bunch of established and respected developers in this thread, it's obvious they know what they are doing.

Of course there may be some bumps in the road for early adopters, but that's just how it goes and it all just contributes to a better mod and more community knowledge in the long run.
Opatus

Post by Opatus »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but does the board have a Bill of Materials or is it closed source? Not against closed source for business reasons. I'm just suspicious of another SNES mod's addition with no proof that it does anything and the chip looks like a Chinese counterfeit.

The project won't be closed source, worst case it will be never quite ready and won't be open either. The basics of this project have been already investigated a few years ago. The point of my project was to further research and try to find a solution for the problems that were found. Progress has been very slow lately, I had absolute no time for it.

I'm wondering which chip do you refer to by "Chinese counterfeit". There's a PPU2 from a 3-Chip SNES (PAL) and an Altera CPLD. You should also understand that most mods are made by one person and not a team with limited resources, some mistakes are mostly inevitable. Even mainstream commercial products go through revisions, correcting some early mistakes. So I don't really get where your suspicion comes from. I also believe that for all your examples a solution was made available for the early adopters.
yoshiyukiblade

Post by yoshiyukiblade »

I was thinking about this project again recently and wondered if there was any news about it. Have any new issues cropped up since your most recent prototype(s)? I might take another stab at this to help out where I can. Maybe play-testing and video captures if nothing else.

Inspired by this project, I successfully designed and installed a similar PCB adapter for my reverse LPF project, so I'm a little more confident in making something for the digital RGB outputs again. My SNES mobo is an NTSC GPM-02 unit, so all the chips are crammed close together and there is little clearance between S-PPU2 and the cartridge connector. I had to offset the position of S-PPU2 on the mod board, relative to its original footprint on the mobo, to get some decent clearance around pins 81-100. It was kind of an awkward design, but worked out well enough.

Is it possible to implement the mode7 fix easily? I got kinda lost in understanding how you accomplished it. If it can be done with some discrete logic gates/inverters, that would be nice.

From what I remember, some of our video output results differed and I didn't see a lot of the issues you described. I wonder if it's related to the S-PPU2 revision (I have revision C), or the region (NTSC vs PAL). In any case, everything I saw on the analog output looked good (except for the mode 7 graphical glitches I reported) when I did the following modifications:

- TST15 (pin 93) tied to VCC
- TST12, TEST13, and TST14 (pins 90, 91, and 92) floating
- OVER1 and OVER2 (pins 37 and 50) tied to VCC

I'll need to dust off the test unit to double-check for any other graphical problems.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

maxtherabbit wrote:3 chip refers to all SNES / SFC revisions prior to the 1CHIP

CPU
PPU-1
PPU-2

3 chips
I see, so in German language discussion, they call the 2CHIP the 3CHIP. I couldn't find a reference to what a 3CHIP was so assumed it was related to the rare 1CHIP-03 revision. Marketing a mod to the US and Canada, my advice is calling it the 2CHIP like in the popular (English) RetroRGB and My Life in Gaming content. Not saying English terms are better, we got the "composite sync" vs "composite video as sync" mess.
Kez wrote:
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:3-Chip isn't a common term. I get that it's a rare version of the 1-Chip SNES but, unlike other 1-Chips, has no Csync before modding.

Completion and widespread availability of this mod would be a total gamechanger for the SNES, it's a huge deal really. It would mean that pretty much any SNES can match the video output quality of the 1CHIP with none of the drawbacks. No more playing lottery with serial numbers on eBay, just get any old SNES and install this mod. It also lays a strong foundation for future HDMI mods.

I'm not sure your suspicions have any basis in reality tbh, as OP has had long technical discussions with a bunch of established and respected developers in this thread, it's obvious they know what they are doing.

Of course there may be some bumps in the road for early adopters, but that's just how it goes and it all just contributes to a better mod and more community knowledge in the long run.
I'm sorry, do you have modder friends who made design mistakes without performing due diligence that costumers paid another $50 + shipping to fix? Is being an expert modder the same as being an expert electrician or knowing you're supposed to terminate video with 75 ohm resistors?

This is a gamechanger? I bought a 1CHIP-02 SFC from Japan and I can't tell a difference in video quality from my 2CHIP just eyeballing on an L2. So we're going to perma destroy SNES consoles by removing their PPUs instead of fix them and put said chips on PCBs with FPGAs? I totally get that soldering the pins of a chip no longer made is too risky but how long is the aged PPU from a broken console going to last being run off-spec? After it dies, does the customer pays another $50 + shipping to revert back to umodded state?

I only mention FPGAs because they're expensive. Is this mod to cost less than the $90 / €76 I paid for 1CHIP + power supply? You know why I look over mods even though I don't do them? I credit Voultar and RetroRGB for educating modders to switch from THS7314 to THS7343 in 2015-2016. I joined this scene in 2019 so I had to imagine one person using the 14 then everyone copying the first solution without actually checking what other TI chips existed.

Meanwhile, every junior in electrical engineering learns not to chain two LPFs together without either calculating, simulating or measuring what the cutoff frequency reduces to. Phase and group delay would be considered, as well as ripples in the passband and the order of the filters for stability or load concerns. I'm not trying to sound opaque, these are fundamental topics.
Opatus wrote: The project won't be closed source, worst case it will be never quite ready and won't be open either. The basics of this project have been already investigated a few years ago. The point of my project was to further research and try to find a solution for the problems that were found. Progress has been very slow lately, I had absolute no time for it.

I'm wondering which chip do you refer to by "Chinese counterfeit". There's a PPU2 from a 3-Chip SNES (PAL) and an Altera CPLD. You should also understand that most mods are made by one person and not a team with limited resources, some mistakes are mostly inevitable. Even mainstream commercial products go through revisions, correcting some early mistakes. So I don't really get where your suspicion comes from. I also believe that for all your examples a solution was made available for the early adopters.
I read through the https://circuit-board.de/ thread in rough machine translation. I didn't realize you had ikari, borti and rama in the scene. Real heavyweights.

Sorry, I didn't mean to allude to counterfeit chips applying to you because they don't. I'm fascinated by the technical detail and dedication on display for my favorite console. I believe in progress even if I disagree with end product. I should be helpful then.

You have to consider the electrical noise of the FPGA with its high switching speed and complexity. Could be causing much of your existing problems. I would not have placed it right next to the PPU and the PCB going under the steel EMI shield (or forcing its removal?) is unfortunate. Aluminum and copper EMI shields are better but cost more.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:3 chip refers to all SNES / SFC revisions prior to the 1CHIP

CPU
PPU-1
PPU-2

3 chips
I see, so in German language discussion, they call the 2CHIP the 3CHIP. I couldn't find a reference to what a 3CHIP was so assumed it was related to the rare 1CHIP-03 revision. Marketing a mod to the US and Canada, my advice is calling it the 2CHIP like in the popular (English) RetroRGB and My Life in Gaming content. Not saying English terms are better, we got the "composite sync" vs "composite video as sync" mess.
What? I'm not german. The people who call them 2-chip simply can't count
Kez

Post by Kez »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:I'm sorry, do you have modder friends who made design mistakes without performing due diligence that costumers paid another $50 + shipping to fix? Is being an expert modder the same as being an expert electrician or knowing you're supposed to terminate video with 75 ohm resistors?

This is a gamechanger? I bought a 1CHIP-02 SFC from Japan and I can't tell a difference in video quality from my 2CHIP just eyeballing on an L2. So we're going to perma destroy SNES consoles by removing their PPUs instead of fix them and put said chips on PCBs with FPGAs? I totally get that soldering the pins of a chip no longer made is too risky but how long is the aged PPU from a broken console going to last being run off-spec? After it dies, does the customer pays another $50 + shipping to revert back to umodded state?

I only mention FPGAs because they're expensive. Is this mod to cost less than the $90 / €76 I paid for 1CHIP + power supply? You know why I look over mods even though I don't do them? I credit Voultar and RetroRGB for educating modders to switch from THS7314 to THS7343 in 2015-2016. I joined this scene in 2019 so I had to imagine one person using the 14 then everyone copying the first solution without actually checking what other TI chips existed.

Meanwhile, every junior in electrical engineering learns not to chain two LPFs together without either calculating, simulating or measuring what the cutoff frequency reduces to. Phase and group delay would be considered, as well as ripples in the passband and the order of the filters for stability or load concerns. I'm not trying to sound opaque, these are fundamental topics.
I'm not really sure what kind of point you're trying to make here. The 1CHIP SNES is way sharper than the older models, that is extremely well established. Congrats on getting one for less than half the going rate, shall we make a quick checklist of all the stuff you don't need and put the word out for everyone to abandon any related hobby projects?
Nobody is trying to sell this as a mod, it's basically a proof of concept at this point. They are just experimenting with the SNES and talking about the results. The community is built on the shoulders of people who do work like this in their free time, expecting very little in return. Your attitude just doesn't match this situation at all.
Opatus

Post by Opatus »

@yoshiyukiblade
Is it possible to implement the mode7 fix easily? I got kinda lost in understanding how you accomplished it. If it can be done with some discrete logic gates/inverters, that would be nice.

From what I remember, some of our video output results differed and I didn't see a lot of the issues you described. I wonder if it's related to the S-PPU2 revision (I have revision C), or the region (NTSC vs PAL). In any case, everything I saw on the analog output looked good (except for the mode 7 graphical glitches I reported) when I did the following modifications:
It's nice reading that you got inspired. For the newer NTSC revisions I have created a different adapter board, with it it should be possible to fit the mod board upside down. But it was never actually tested.
I don't have any graphical issues anymore, at least I haven't seen any lately. Last time I have tied TST15 to VCC and I still didn't have any issues, but maybe at that time the PPU was running in NTSC mode.
You could do the mode7 fix with discrete logic. You have to check with the logic if you are in the problematic mode7 sub-mode. And then you have to pull down the data on the B data bus of the PPU2 if the OVER signal is 0. For the data on the B bus I use a SN74HCT541PW with pull-down resistors.

Here how it's done in the FPGA:

wire screen_over_data = DATA[7] & !DATA[6];
wire mode_data = DATA[0] & DATA[1] & DATA[2];
assign MD7PAT = over & !OVER1;
assign over = mode & screen_over;
if(!PAWR && (PADDRESS [7:0] == 8'b00000101)) mode <= mode_data;
if(!PAWR && (PADDRESS [7:0] == 8'b00011010)) screen_over <= screen_over_data;

@NewSchoolBoxer
Calling it 3-chip makes more sense as the 1-chip SNES combines 3 chips. But calling it 2-chip is also acceptable because the PPU1 and PPU2 can be considered as 1 chip.

The video quality of the 1-chip SNES is so much better. I can clearly see it on my 14-M4 with RGB and on a 4k flat panel it looks awful.
As for the price I think BOM cost should be around $60 without assembly and installation. The FPGA/CPLD used here should be around $10 (but I'm not entirely sure if all the planned features would fit), of course it is out of stock right now.
yoshiyukiblade

Post by yoshiyukiblade »

Opatus wrote: You could do the mode7 fix with discrete logic. You have to check with the logic if you are in the problematic mode7 sub-mode. And then you have to pull down the data on the B data bus of the PPU2 if the OVER signal is 0. For the data on the B bus I use a SN74HCT541PW with pull-down resistors.
I was wondering if we can naïvely apply an AND gate to OVER and VDB and connect the output to the VDB pins. I poked at the OVER signal and saw that it is normally held high until mode7 related content shows up (it is very active during the problem scenes). So when OVER is high, the output will just follow whatever VDB is doing. When OVER is low, the output will be low. I've never dealt with logic stuff, so let me know if this is a dumb idea or not :P.
Opatus

Post by Opatus »

The SNES has 3 options in what to do if the mode7 layer is zoomed out and thus it does not cover the whole display (see register 211A). It can either repeat the mode 7 "map", draw the base color (backdrop color) or draw the first entry in the palette. If I remember correctly the PPU1 calculates the repeated mode 7 map in every modes, but keeps the OVER signal high for the first mode (mode 7 repetition). The OVER signal (when driven low) is used by the PPU1 to tell the PPU2 in the latter 2 modes that the processed pixel is outside of the memory map. Than the PPU2 decides based on the register setting to draw the base color or the first palette entry. But if TST15 is pulled high the PPU2 won't display the base color correctly outside the mode 7 area.

So I believe you cannot use the OVER directly to control the data on VDB0..VDB7. You most likely don't have to check for mode 7 (the OVER signal can only change in mode 7) but you definitely have to evaulate register 211A. And this is not that difficult by using some logic.
yoshiyukiblade

Post by yoshiyukiblade »

Ah, okay. This is definitely outside my current skill level as I have no experience in probing the registers to get the necessary information. I'll start with something simple in the meantime and work my way up from there. I'll have to learn about it sooner or later to get the brightness information as well. Thanks for the detailed description on how mode 7 operates and the role of OVER in these situations.

The current plan is to get an output that looks pretty and capture it!
Opatus

Post by Opatus »

I made the PCB files public (source, bom and gerbers): https://github.com/Opatusos/SNES_TST

Recently I made a lot of small changes and felt like I can share the project. These changes are unproven and might cause some problems, although they shouldn't. Unfortunately due to the parts shortage some parts of the BOM are really hard to obtain.

The included firmware is only a test firmware and nowhere near finished, as I currently do not have the time to develop it. I'm not even sure if this version is 100% compatible with the new PCB version.
Last edited by Opatus on Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Super cool. Thank you!
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
yoshiyukiblade

Post by yoshiyukiblade »

Awesome! I hope someone with the knowledge and skills can test it out.

I've been facing parts supply issues for this hobby as well, even though my design is simple as dirt. Got the PCBs sitting here collecting dust, heh.
Opatus

Post by Opatus »

I've assembled a new version of the board, where the layout of the video signals (which go directly to the SNES motherboard) was modified.

Here is an image for comparison between the generated and the original PPU video. All the settings and video amplifiers are identical, only the video source is different. The photos were taken using an OSSC in Line5x mode. The sampling is set to generic, with the low pass filter turned off to show the rise and fall time difference. Unfortunately the ADC gain of the OSSC was set to 11, I forgot to set it back to the default 8 before making the photos. So bright details might be crushed. As the LPF is turned off there's significant noise on all the typical SNES frequencies. With the LPF changed to 9.5 MHz, there's a surprisingly low noise, barely noticeable. The motherboard is SNSP-CPU-01 (PAL) and the input stage of the video amplifier (which is a PNP Darlington transistor) was changed to a simple PNP transistor. The original transistor had about 500 pF emitter capacitance, which resulted in slow signal rise time.

The other video output of the board (which can be directly connected to 75 Ohm) has practically no noise.

Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

I’m glad you are still working on this!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Would love to be able to sell my Junior one day and switch back to a nice chunky original model with that giant eject lever...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fluor

Post by Fluor »

Thank you for continuing working on this. Will keep following it closely.
Snes is my favorite console and would love to have it modded just like the N64 with RGB/YPbPr + HDMI output.
yoshiyukiblade

Post by yoshiyukiblade »

@Opatus

Looks great, as expected. You really need a proper capture setup to really show off the quality!

On a related note, I wanted to compare the unmodified PPU2 output from my mod board (all the reverse LPF stuff removed). It looks a bit cleaner than the one in your photo, though it's hard to compare them exactly.
Spoiler
On the OSSC, I used generic mode, upped the H sample rate to 8 * 341 and the active area to 1920 (needed to be 2048 to capture the whole frame, but the OSSC maxes out at 1920). The SDTV LPF was on. My capture device only does YUY2, so the chroma resolution was halved. The final image was padded and resized to maintain the correct aspect ratio.

Using optimal sampling:
Spoiler
My guess is that parasitic capacitances greatly affect the unbuffered signal. During the board design, I put a bit of extra care in minimizing parasitic capacitances on the unbuffered pins by removing the ground planes below the pads and traces that connect to the base of the PNP transistors. The traces lengths were also less than 1 mm long, so this is about as clean as it gets for now. The remaining capacitance is probably intrinsic to the DAC architecture and IC package.
Aquamentus

Post by Aquamentus »

This is so sweet. Can’t wait for a complete kit one day - would love to use my SFC with Satellaview as my main SNES instead of the Jr.
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Looks like someone had success with this mod:

https://amaiorano.io/2022/10/14/snes-2- ... r-mod.html

I'm assuming this is a user on here, results look good! If anyone out there would be willing to perform this service for a fee I would be more than happy to send some cash their way!
Kez

Post by Kez »

incrediblehark wrote:Looks like someone had success with this mod:

https://amaiorano.io/2022/10/14/snes-2- ... r-mod.html

I'm assuming this is a user on here, results look good! If anyone out there would be willing to perform this service for a fee I would be more than happy to send some cash their way!
Looks like this is the reverse LPF mod from buttersoft, see in this thread rather than the digital solution seen here. Looks good though!
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Ah, thank you for the correction!