Horizontal shift RGB SCART CRT TV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
filevans

Horizontal shift RGB SCART CRT TV

Post by filevans »

hello everyone

On my TV the picture is a bit to the left and in the service menu it has horizontal shift but it only moves the picture left and right for the composite/s-video/tuner picture and doesn't affect the RGB scart picture movement. My TV is a 28" Panasonic. I've been inside and turned some pots but none affect the horizontal position. Someone suggested once I could put a resistor and potentiometer on the scart socket which can give some horizontal movement? Please does anyone know any way?

Thanks a lot everyone
Taiyaki

Re: Horizontal shift RGB SCART CRT TV

Post by Taiyaki »

I went through this problem too, and the solution was to center the horizontal position to RGB and to use RGB for everything (modding when necessary) other than the systems that just can't do it such as the Gamecube and Wii (US model), for which I use Component. The Gamecube and Wii can do internal adjustment of the horizontal shift by powering on with no game and then going to the screen position settings and adjusting as needed. Doing it this way all consoles should be more or less centered right.
filevans

Post by filevans »

As already stated the RGB scart input AV1 doesn't move left and right, it will stretch and move up and down but not left and right. Moving left and right only affects composite/s-video/tuner but never moves RGB scart input LR screen position
Last edited by filevans on Mon May 25, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

My bad, I didn't understand. So you have no onboard knobs for adjusting the size, and nothing in the service menueither? That's something I've never encountered on any tv. Maybe someone else can help. Meanwhile you probably should share what your tv model is as the info is handy.
filevans

Post by filevans »

No there's no potentiometers inside that affect the horizontal position. I think the yolk might need to be repositioned slightly as the display is at a very slight angle too. So it probably has been knocked at some point
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

I've recently picked up a Panasonic and it has the common RGB image shift to the left, I'd love to find a solution but can't find a working code to get into the service menu to see if I can alter it in there, what code is yours (just in case it's different to any of the others I've seen online!). Maybe I need to be brave and take the back off and venture inside, although I've never had a TV apart before.

Earlier today I did see an interesting post on Arcade Projects which would be amazing if there was a non JAMMA adaptation of it - https://bit.ly/2WZYgLL, seems like some people are interested in it

Of course there's Extron devices, it's still possible to find cheap ones that do Horizontal shift, but it would be great to find one that did Vertical too and didn't cost a lot (taking shipping to UK into account)

A while back I had high hopes that an additional board was going to be created off the back of the MiSTer project, but I don't think it is now - https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=93
filevans

Post by filevans »

I'm getting sick of all the hassle with CRTs now, I might get a large LCD monitor and a scanline generator for my games instead.

To enter service menu on mine it's set bass to max, set treble to min and then press volume down on TV and press reveal on the remote at the same time
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

Thanks for the info, my set doesn't have Bass etc, so not the same for me.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

filevans wrote:No there's no potentiometers inside that affect the horizontal position. I think the yolk might need to be repositioned slightly as the display is at a very slight angle too. So it probably has been knocked at some point
The angle part is normal, if you move the tv to a different part of the room the angle will change. Has to do with Earth's gravity. You need to tilt the yoke, or on some later crt models you get an adjustment in the menus to tilt a bit.

Personally I love Panasonic crt's if they're from the flat era post 2000, picture that I've seen on them was outstanding, however just out of curiosity why didn't you just go for a Sony? There's endless documentation for them as that's what most gamers tend to go for. They're both flexible and incredible for gaming. Any of the FS or FV models, or older pre hd XBR ones, are all really nice for classic consoles.
filevans

Post by filevans »

There's 3 plastic screws on the yoke, I undid them but the yoke seems glued to the tube so I can't move it. My Panasonic is from 1996 and I've had it for 7 years. Picture is excellent. Just wish I could get the screen centralised
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

filevans wrote:There's 3 plastic screws on the yoke, I undid them but the yoke seems glued to the tube so I can't move it. My Panasonic is from 1996 and I've had it for 7 years. Picture is excellent. Just wish I could get the screen centralised
Cut the glue with a sharp utility knife (the smaller blade type), then rotate and tighten all screws. Secure with hot glue across the existing cuts to keep it from moving if the set gets moved around.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I heard once that Scart RGB does that shift due to timing of the picture or something.

Perhaps it is a setting in the service menu but not one you would think to use.

I have a 14" that does it.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

I remember it always shifting on TVs back on the day when using RGB - but never knew why.

I can’t find a service menu for my Panasonic, so today I braved it and took the back off, found a variable resistor by the sounds of the manual I was looking at which adjusts the horizontal position - I thought I’d be sorted now - as it happens, it was nearly fully adjusted in one direction and when tweaking it - I could only shift it a mom or so.

The chap I got this TV from now has a Sony he’s selling, it’s tempting to get that.

I’m also trying to learn how to read schematics, put them into KiCad and do a basic PCB, so that I can build this and see if that gets around the problem.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... tysync.png

Getting there, just don’t understand how the 10k pot is connected up.

Tbh, is just been fun learning about schematics, as I’ve always muddled my way through them and relied on others to do proper PCBs, so I’m enjoying this project :-)
FantasticMrSocks

Post by FantasticMrSocks »

hellbelly wrote: I’m also trying to learn how to read schematics, put them into KiCad and do a basic PCB, so that I can build this and see if that gets around the problem.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... tysync.png

Getting there, just don’t understand how the 10k pot is connected up.

Tbh, is just been fun learning about schematics, as I’ve always muddled my way through them and relied on others to do proper PCBs, so I’m enjoying this project :-)
Hey hellbelly, did you ever have any luck with this circuit? I'm trying to build one myself and am having a heck of a time with it.