Calibrating black levels on PVM

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: Calibrating black levels on PVM

Post by fernan1234 »

IRE 0/7.5 settings on your monitor will only apply when displaying CVBS or YC signals. Component (RGB, YPbPr) signals will not be affected by this setting, regardless of whether the source is marked as NTSC, NTSC-J, or PAL as its "region".

As a rule of thumb, IRE 0 was the standard used for NTSC-J signals in Japan, whereas IRE 7.5 was used for NTSC in North America. Not sure about PAL and SECAM (probably 0).

In theory, if for example you're playing Japanese content over composite or S-video, it may have been "mastered" for IRE 0 when using any of the two, but in practice which setting looks right for you will depend on how you have calibrated brightness and contrast for one or the other beforehand. You may have better results saving different calibration settings per channel.
paulb_nl

Re: Calibrating black levels on PVM

Post by paulb_nl »

I don't have a PVM but I have the same experience with a consumer Sony CRT. Basically because of gamma the brightness of the darkest black bars are so close together that the differences are not clearly seen.

If you raise the brightness so that there are clear differences you have raised the black levels higher up the gamma curve which will show black as grey.

I just keep black as black and I can see the 2nd or 3rd black bar in the grayramp just barely lit up if I look very closely.

Maybe you can adjust gamma on your PVM?