shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 2:19 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Looking for help in doing S-Video mod on Toshiba CF27F30 CRT
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 am 

My Toshiba CF27F30 only has composite and I would like to add s-video. Part of the problem I have with this set is that it has a poor comb filter. When there is no motion on the screen, the image looks decent and clear but as soon as there is a lot of motion on the screen, the picture looks a bit blurry. This was especially noticeable when watching X-Men: The Animated Series on DVD. Covergence on the set looks fine when I put up a grid pattern. I have experienced this occasionally on other CRTs and I think the issue might be that the comb filter is not fast or good enough at separating luma and chroma during movement to produce a clear image.

I do understand that I would have to tap into the chroma and luma pins on the jungle chip of my TV and connect the signal from there to an s-video jack as well as tap into two ground points on the main board and wire that to the ground pins on the s-video jack. Beyond this, I don't understand what else I would have to do. For example, I don't know what additional resistors or capacitors I would need and where exactly I would have to place them, etc. An RGB mod seems more involved and I figure an s-video mod would be a good stepping stone. In still motion, this set does have a very good picture with very good colors.

Here is a schematic of my jungle chip (Toshiba TA1223AN):

Offline Profile