Are there any SCART to DB9 adapters

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Neon

Are there any SCART to DB9 adapters

Post by Neon »

Can't find 'em w/google.
elvis

Post by elvis »

I've never seen them personally, but they're cheap/easy to make.

http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/

(Follow the "Saturn 2 JAMMA" guide, as it's more or less a generic SCART->RGB guide).

Generally you need a LM1881N circuit to strip the sync out of the SCART composite video signal. But again, we're talking 10 minutes and $3 in components.
Neon

Post by Neon »

elvis wrote:I've never seen them personally, but they're cheap/easy to make.

http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/

(Follow the "Saturn 2 JAMMA" guide, as it's more or less a generic SCART->RGB guide).

Generally you need a LM1881N circuit to strip the sync out of the SCART composite video signal. But again, we're talking 10 minutes and $3 in components.
Could needing that circuit be the reason my supergun displays a rolling (non-synched) picture?
elvis

Post by elvis »

Neon wrote: Could needing that circuit be the reason my supergun displays a rolling (non-synched) picture?
Possibly.

Rolling picture means that either it can't understand the sync signal because it's too weak (say, it can't strip the sync out of the composite video signal) , or that you are feeding it the wrong sync (unlikely if you are using a standard NTSC TV).

If you're using a normal 60FPS low-res ("480i" or 320 lines) signal, then it should sync fine. In that case, I'd definitely go with the LM1881N circuit.

Adding the circuit won't hurt anything. If your system doesn't need it, it won't do any harm putting it in. If it does need it, it will fix all your problems. You may as well put it into any supergun or JAMMA converter you make just to be on the safe side.