No
67%
Maybe
20%

Total votes: 15

XSync-1

I want to buy a Micomsoft XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Hi. I am a brand new user, and I made this account for one specific purpose. I need to buy a Micomsoft Xsync-1. I have looked all over the internet, I even used a Japanese internet shopping service that can find products in Japan. To this day, I can't find a single listing of this product anywhere. Has the XSync-1 gone extinct? I want to buy one, and if anyone has any information that can help me, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
jd213

Re: I want to buy a Micomsoft XSync-1

Post by jd213 »

Buyback prices in Akihabara are like 25000 yen, so if you do ever find it, be prepared to pay at least 60000 yen, plus whatever fees if you're not in Japan.

For that much, I would hope you could find someone who could just make a JP21 version of the more recent boxes. But yeah, having to find JP21 stuff nowadays can be a real PITA. Way too few people doing quality retro hardware in Japan these days, unfortunately.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I need to buy a Micomsoft Xsync-1
what's your use for it?

The XSync-1 was a sync stripper combined with a 1:2 splitter. If you add a JP21 to EU Scart adapter to a GScartSW you got the same functionality.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

jd213 wrote:Buyback prices in Akihabara are like 25000 yen, so if you do ever find it, be prepared to pay at least 60000 yen, plus whatever fees if you're not in Japan.

For that much, I would hope you could find someone who could just make a JP21 version of the more recent boxes. But yeah, having to find JP21 stuff nowadays can be a real PITA. Way too few people doing quality retro hardware in Japan these days, unfortunately.
Thanks for the response. Those are very high prices. I’ve looked all over the Internet, I can’t find a single one for sale anywhere, but I hope if I ever do find one that it won’t cost that much. I like the device, because it is intended to work alongside either the XRGB Mini Framemeister, or the Micomsoft XCapture-1. I kind of want to collect these particular Micomsoft devices for capturing game footage.
Last edited by XSync-1 on Sat May 16, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Fudoh wrote:
I need to buy a Micomsoft Xsync-1
what's your use for it?

The XSync-1 was a sync stripper combined with a 1:2 splitter. If you add a JP21 to EU Scart adapter to a GScartSW you got the same functionality.
My use for it is that it converts a raw RGB signal via JP21 into an RGB-HV signal via VGA. By combining it with a Micomsoft XCapture-1, you can record gameplay footage straight from an RGB source like an SNES, without having to upscale/convert the signal into HDMI through the Framemeister.

I tried using two different Scart based devices that I thought could do the same task, but they both failed. One of them was the DP Double Penetration SD Datapath E1/E1S by Voultar, but it did not work. The other one I tried was the SyncStrike by Arcadeforge, but it was a terrible device, with a horrible power supply that was just two exposed wires you had to fit into holes on the device, and it ended up causing my SNES to blow a fuse. It costed about $85, and I sent it back to Arcadeforge In Germany, but I never got a refund.

One other device that I wanted to buy, but it was sold out, was the SyncSlayer. There is now a revised version 2, and I think that it can do the same thing as the XSync-1, but for Scart instead of JP21.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

My use for it is that it converts a raw RGB signal via JP21 into an RGB-HV signal via VGA. By combining it with a Micomsoft XCapture-1, you can record gameplay footage straight from an RGB source like an SNES, without having to upscale/convert the signal into HDMI through the Framemeister.
The XCapture wasn't a great capture device in the first place. Its drivers are terribly buggy. What's your use for 320x240p recordings? You're very limited in your codec choice since you don't have enough resolution to rely on any chroma subsampling.

I collect Micomsoft machines, so I get you point about wanting to get a XSync unit, but your idea of capturing this way is flawed and you won't suddenly be happy with the XCap. Hands down the best capture interface that you can get, that will take care of every sync or signal related problem, is the OSSC. Pair the OSSC with any compatible capture device (Epiphan, Datapath, Magewell or Avermedia) and you have a truely flawless capture setup.

Upscaling through them FM before capturing is ok for streaming, but since it also does only produce an internal 4:2:2 signal, you can't use it for the highest quality captures.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Fudoh wrote:
The XCapture wasn't a great capture device in the first place. Its drivers are terribly buggy. What's your use for 320x240p recordings? You're very limited in your codec choice since you don't have enough resolution to rely on any chroma subsampling.

I collect Micomsoft machines, so I get you point about wanting to get a XSync unit, but your idea of capturing this way is flawed and you won't suddenly be happy with the XCap. Hands down the best capture interface that you can get, that will take care of every sync or signal related problem, is the OSSC. Pair the OSSC with any compatible capture device (Epiphan, Datapath, Magewell or Avermedia) and you have a truely flawless capture setup.

Upscaling through them FM before capturing is ok for streaming, but since it also does only produce an internal 4:2:2 signal, you can't use it for the highest quality captures.
I own the XCapture-1, and it records in either lossless AVI or WMV. The file sizes can be enormous, depending on which option you choose. I’ve never had any issues with the drivers before, and I’m running the most up-to-date versions of windows 10. The quality of the recordings is perfect, it looks to me like it maintains the exact quality of the input device. I’m not familiar with 4:2:2 signal, I’ve never heard of this before. I’m not an expert on the subject. What I do know is that the XCapture-1 has almost all the same inputs as the Framemeister: D-Terminal, AV/S-Video, RGB (though it uses VGA-HV instead of the 8-pin mini din RGB connector that the Framemeister has), and HDMI. I don’t own an 0SSC, but I do own a Framemeister. In fact, it was from reading a forum post on NeoGaf that I found out about how great the XCapture-1 is, and it was designed to work with other Micomsoft devices like the Framemeister, the best video scaling device ever made. There’s a forum post on NeoGaf titled “Is Micomsoft's XCapture-1 still one of the best recommendations for a capture card?”.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have the XCap-1 and I also have all the other mentioned cards or boxes.

The XCapture-1 is a variation of the Startech USB3HDCAP and both are based on the Yuan OEM capture boxes. I admit that it's been a while, since I last used the XCap, but as far as I recall 240p recording has been broken due to drivers issues for years now. Do you have a proper 240p recording that you've done yourself of which you can upload a few seconds ?

If you opt for a losless codec for your recordings, then chroma subsampling is no issue, but what's the point in keeping such giant files? If you record into AVC (h264) you get 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 which means the resolution of your color channels are split into half or even quartered. If your files' resolution is high enough, then this is ok, but if you only have a 240p file, you end up with a mere 120 lines of color resolution, which means you're losing information.
and it was designed to work with other Micomsoft devices like the Framemeister, the best video scaling device ever made.
The FM only has internal 4:2:2 processing, so the color resolution of every input signal is split into half. It also has truely shitty 480p processing. What makes you say the FM is the best scaling device ever made? Especially for capturing the OSSC has stellar 480p performance in comparison, along with a full 4:4:4 processing path for all inputs.
There’s a forum post on NeoGaf titled “Is Micomsoft's XCapture-1 still one of the best recommendations for a capture card?”
can't be very up to date.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

What's the need of capturing lossless 320x240 input anyhow? Getting the sampling exactly right and perfectly aligned is very difficult (like, 320x240 cannot be used for the SNES anyhow because that's not the native output resolution), and capturing a high-resolution upscale from an OSSC with a lossy codec at a high bitrate is going to provide a very good image. It will be easier to store, easier to play, easier to convert.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

laughs in datapath
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

You guys got me wantin' to sell off my USB3HDCAP and get one of those blue metal pieces of shit that everyone swears by now. Of course, I sold my OSSC and started rocking a CFW'd GBS8200... but that's nothing a VGA to HDMI dongle won't resolve ;)
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

I still want to buy a Micomsoft XSync-1, if anyone could help me, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

XSync-1 wrote:I still want to buy a Micomsoft XSync-1, if anyone could help me, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
I think there's a run of JP21 Syncslayer IIs coming out soon, that may be your best bet. Or you could possibly mod a Sync Strike for JP21! Either one would be cheaper, although I must say the XSync-1 does indeed look quite cool
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

kitty666cats wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:I still want to buy a Micomsoft XSync-1, if anyone could help me, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
I think there's a run of JP21 Syncslayer IIs coming out soon, that may be your best bet. Or you could possibly mod a Sync Strike for JP21! Either one would be cheaper, although I must say the XSync-1 does indeed look quite cool
The SyncStrike doesn't do what the XSync-1 does. Maybe a JP21 SyncSlayer II will though. I'll look out for the JP21 SyncSlayer II, but I would still prefer an XSync-1, if anyone here has one to sell.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Fudoh wrote:I have the XCap-1 and I also have all the other mentioned cards or boxes.

The XCapture-1 is a variation of the Startech USB3HDCAP and both are based on the Yuan OEM capture boxes. I admit that it's been a while, since I last used the XCap, but as far as I recall 240p recording has been broken due to drivers issues for years now. Do you have a proper 240p recording that you've done yourself of which you can upload a few seconds ?

If you opt for a losless codec for your recordings, then chroma subsampling is no issue, but what's the point in keeping such giant files? If you record into AVC (h264) you get 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 which means the resolution of your color channels are split into half or even quartered. If your files' resolution is high enough, then this is ok, but if you only have a 240p file, you end up with a mere 120 lines of color resolution, which means you're losing information.
and it was designed to work with other Micomsoft devices like the Framemeister, the best video scaling device ever made.
The FM only has internal 4:2:2 processing, so the color resolution of every input signal is split into half. It also has truely shitty 480p processing. What makes you say the FM is the best scaling device ever made? Especially for capturing the OSSC has stellar 480p performance in comparison, along with a full 4:4:4 processing path for all inputs.
There’s a forum post on NeoGaf titled “Is Micomsoft's XCapture-1 still one of the best recommendations for a capture card?”
can't be very up to date.
Since you have the XSync-1, would you be willing to sell it to me? You said it's not that good and you don't use it.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Guspaz wrote:What's the need of capturing lossless 320x240 input anyhow? Getting the sampling exactly right and perfectly aligned is very difficult (like, 320x240 cannot be used for the SNES anyhow because that's not the native output resolution), and capturing a high-resolution upscale from an OSSC with a lossy codec at a high bitrate is going to provide a very good image. It will be easier to store, easier to play, easier to convert.
The Framemeister is far better than the OSSC. I use it for the GameCube with component cables, and it looks great in 480p. The OSSC is made in china, Framemeister is made in Japan.
Austin

Post by Austin »

XSync-1 wrote:
Guspaz wrote:What's the need of capturing lossless 320x240 input anyhow? Getting the sampling exactly right and perfectly aligned is very difficult (like, 320x240 cannot be used for the SNES anyhow because that's not the native output resolution), and capturing a high-resolution upscale from an OSSC with a lossy codec at a high bitrate is going to provide a very good image. It will be easier to store, easier to play, easier to convert.
The Framemeister is far better than the OSSC. I use it for the GameCube with component cables, and it looks great in 480p. The OSSC is made in china, Framemeister is made in Japan.
Yeahhhh... No. As much of a fan I am of the FM, the OSSC has come a very long way and does many things just as well if not better. I still prime the FM because I find it more flexible for streaming, but I rarely recommend it over an OSSC today outside of specific scenarios, especially for the cost.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

XSync-1 wrote:
LMFAO
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The Framemaster is notorious for its lackluster 480p support. It's seen as one of the main weak points of the thing. The OSSC does no worse when fed 480p and either passed through or line doubled, and arguably does far better. And without the lag the Framemeister adds.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Lackluster is understating it. It murders 480p. The only usecase for the FM over the OSSC is for sensitive displays and 480i.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Austin wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:
Yeahhhh... No. As much of a fan I am of the FM, the OSSC has come a very long way and does many things just as well if not better. I still prime the FM because I find it more flexible for streaming, but I rarely recommend it over an OSSC today outside of specific scenarios, especially for the cost.
I don’t agree with you, and neither do the guys from the MyLifeinGaming series on YouTube. They said that the OSSC does not look as good as the Framemeister when it comes to SNES and NES games. I don’t know what the OSSC does better than the Framemeister, if anything, because it sure isn’t 240P. It’s not an upscaler, it’s a scan converter, I don’t even know what that means. What is a scan converter, and how could it be better than an upscaler, let alone one that is as well renowned as the Framemeister?

People who own both units have reviewed them on YouTube, and they agree that the Framemeister is way better. I use the Framemeister for my RGB modded NES, modded SNES 1Chip-03, RGB modded N64, and my GameCube using component cables at 480P, and everything looks beautiful. I am playing Pokémon Stadium using the Transfer Pak, playing Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow. With the Framemeister, I am able to zoom in on the small Game Boy screen of the Transfer Pak, and it displays the pixels in perfect condition. The Game Boy Player from the GameCube also looks very good with the Framemeister, and the profiles from FirebrandX.

The OSSC does not out shadow the Framemeister, not even close. People who own the OSSC, wish they could own a framemeister. No one wants chinese made crap when they can get a Japanese made professional device that’s way better. It costs more for a good reason.
Last edited by XSync-1 on Sat May 30, 2020 10:17 am, edited 7 times in total.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Guspaz wrote:The Framemaster is notorious for its lackluster 480p support. It's seen as one of the main weak points of the thing. The OSSC does no worse when fed 480p and either passed through or line doubled, and arguably does far better. And without the lag the Framemeister adds.
I use it for my GameCube at 480p with the component cables, and it looks beautiful. Plus, I use it with the GameBoy player, and using profiles from FirebrandX, It looks very well.
Last edited by XSync-1 on Sat May 30, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

NormalFish wrote:Lackluster is understating it. It murders 480p. The only usecase for the FM over the OSSC is for sensitive displays and 480i.
No it doesn’t, 480p looks great with the GameCube on the Framemeister.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

and neither do the guys from the MyLifeinGaming series on YouTube.
unless you watch any later video in which Try explicitely states that the OSSC is his go-to processor for almost anything and he hardly finds any use for his FM.
No one wants chinese made crap when they can get a Japanese made professional device that’s way better
The OSSC is a designed by marqs here in Europe.
t costs more for a good reason.
bigger overhead and the the unfortunate use of a big company scaling IC by Marvell that's no longer manufactured, that's all. The OSSC is way more sophisticated in its design.
It’s not an upscaler, it’s a scan converter, I don’t even know what that means.
it's bull. Both are scan converters. The only difference is that the FM has a flexible scaler and a more compatible output at the costs of 1.5 frames of lag, while the OSSC deliberately passed on both in favor of being lag-free. A simply design decision. You might favor Micomsoft's decision, others favor marqs' decision.
I use the Framemeister for my RGB modded NES, modded SNES 1Chip-03, RGB modded N64, and my GameCube using component cables at 480P, and everything looks beautiful.
nobody doubts that you like your FM. It's a great processor, especially for any 240p source. But to say that you like its 480p processing quality just shows that you don't really care about quality or haven't seen what's possible.
Since you have the XSync-1, would you be willing to sell it to me? You said it's not that good and you don't use it.
no, still collecting Dempa's stuff, even if I can't find use for all of it.

It's obvious that you don't want advice. That's alright, but think about your attitude.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I would disagree that the XRGB-mini "murders" 480p, but it's pretty bad at it.

It can subjectively look great, sure, but so can just using composite cables.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

XSync-1 wrote:The OSSC is made in china, Framemeister is made in Japan.
Taiwan is cool and all, but you shouldn't confuse them with Japan. They have enough trouble with China claiming they're China.
Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

$500 bucks! You got yourself a deal!

Brand new, never used.

https://imgur.com/XxiYG23
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

OP you should try modding a GBS8200 with CFW! It's a very cool alternative, I've found it to work incredibly with 480i 240p transitions. I also hear those cheap square black SCART to HDMIs handle that transition well, but the lag makes them ideal mostly just for video capture.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MISOTT-Scaler- ... 07Z4YCD5Z/

Anyone tried this one? It looks like an updated version of those cheapo shitty ones that only do composite, but this variant claims to accept RGB signals...

EDIT: This listing doesn't seem to claim RGB, but I saw one with this same exact shape that does. Strange.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

ZellSF wrote:I would disagree that the XRGB-mini "murders" 480p, but it's pretty bad at it.

It can subjectively look great, sure, but so can just using composite cables.
in a world in which straight 480p passthrough is totally fine much of the time, the artifacting you get from the FM's processing is pretty horrid. 480p was almost the entire reason i adopted the OSSC as soon as I did.

Sounds like OP found himself a seller, though, so it's been fun, guys.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The Framemeister adds at least 1.5 frames of lag to every resolution, be it 240p or 480p, adds even more lag for 480i, and IIRC it also processes everything in 4:2:2, so if you feed it a 480p signal, it will actually be reducing the resolution to just 50% in two of the three channels. The OSSC does not have this problem.