PS1 Game Resolution List

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NormalFish

PS1 Game Resolution List

Post by NormalFish »

Hey folks. This thread is for compiling and contributing to a list of the resolutions used by PS1 games. This is particularly useful now for use with the OSSC's optimal timing feature, but will likely be useful with other hardware in the future. Unfortunately, many PS1 games utilize all manner of colorful resolutions, and frequently more than one, which makes testing rather arduous. Because of this, the list (as of now) contains one 'primary' gameplay resolution, which is indicative of the resolution the game displays primarily once in-game, and a notes column which explains where other resolutions crop up. This isn't perfect, but it's working for now. More detailed notes and some means of describing how disruptive resolution switching may be would be a nice feature for a more refined list, which will eventually be open to be rehosted elsewhere, though it's currently intended for the R3.fyi wiki.

Methodology as of now is as follows:
Using pSX emulator, boot up a game, press Tab, and check the 2nd line for resolution information. Play the game until gameplay, pause, record all resolutions after the 640x480i PS1 splash screen which all games share. I've skipped resolutions which only appear during small loads with no splash screen.

Using Xebra emulator, turn off all scaling options, then use trial and error with Width and Height options to find correct resolution for any given scene.

With the OSSC, load the game on to a real PS1 or PS2 console, and cycle through optimal timing profiles until you find the right one. There may be a better way to do this, but I haven't gotten to testing with real hardware just yet. Unfortunate the brief nature of intro cutscenes and such make them difficult to ascertain the resolutions of, but also of much less importance than gameplay and primary menus.

Optimal Timings:
On a PS1, refer to the JunkerHQ Wiki: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... al_timings

On a PS2, times haven't yet been added to the wiki, but these are the 4 most common from my own findings:
  • 512x240 - 686.40

368x240 - 490.00

320x240 - 429.00

256x240 - 343.20
List thus far:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... DO1ORpsi78

Sheet is currently protected just cause I'm paranoid. I'll be adding my own collection and working with others to populate the list on other boards/discords, as well. So please just list anything you have here, or you can PM me on discord if it's easier SoFisht#8382. If someone lacks the ability to test something, I can try to test it myself, but please don't create a bunch of noise requesting the resolutions of your entire collection if you won't contribute resolutions. Also, even if a game is listed on the list, please test to confirm. There are many revisions of many games, some of which are potentially different, and emulators can be unreliable with this information, so real hardware tests are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: New form for submission: https://forms.gle/WMcneG9wn8k9GvDJ9
Last edited by NormalFish on Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lawfer

Re: PS1 Game Resolution List

Post by Lawfer »

What's the resolution of Dragon Valor?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Lawfer wrote:What's the resolution of Dragon Valor?
Couldn't tell ya. If you can boot it up in an emulator or check it against ps1 optimal timing settings, I'll add it to the list.

Tested it. It's 320x240 in cutscenes, and looks like 384 in game but pSX is funky about 384 so it may be 368.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Okay, list is up to 129 games tested now. Almost entirely with pSX since my OSSC is currently lacking an appropriate video cable due to reworking my desk space a bit.

Findings thus far:
Tons of games use distinct resolutions for introduction cutscenes, the title screen, or menus. Most of these won't be problematic for optimal timing modes under normal circumstance. If someone were to be working on a project, recording from an OSSC, where they want pixel-perfect scaling for the entire video, this may cause some problems.

Additionally, and this is certainly in part a limitation of testing with emulators, there is some confusion about games with horizontal resolutions in the 364-384 range. Some games had previously been tested and recorded as 384, but pSX displays 364, 366, or even 368. Some documents refer to a 368 resolution which may be distinct from 384, but I'm unsure if this is a 'real' resolution or just a small active area. If it's the latter, it's immaterial for the OSSC's testing but might be useful for someone cropping a capture or similar, so I'm unsure what to do with them. Any suggestions as to why there might be the discrepancy and how to go about dealing with it is appreciated.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Made a tangential realization yesterday. POPS (the official PS1 emulator used on the PSP/Vita and to a lesser extent the PS2 and PS3, I believe) is incapable of correctly displaying 256x240p games. It seems all games are stretched to 4:3, typically at 320x240 or 640x480 depending on the console, and while there are options to scale up, you can't scale down from here, so 256x240 games are SOL. Unfortunate.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

364/366 aren't valid as (total) horizontal resolution values, but 368 and 384 definitely are. Likely the Playstation is able of both.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:364/366 aren't valid as (total) horizontal resolution values, but 368 and 384 definitely are. Likely the Playstation is able of both.
368 is correct, best research thus far indicates 384 is a synonym. Depends on how you count it.
heli

Post by heli »

I love such topics, only mine got deleted because emulation solutions are offtopic.
I can point out a whole lot of topics, and mine got deleted.

I need this info to setup my raspberry pi good resolution, thanks.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

NormalFish wrote:Made a tangential realization yesterday. POPS (the official PS1 emulator used on the PSP/Vita and to a lesser extent the PS2 and PS3, I believe) is incapable of correctly displaying 256x240p games. It seems all games are stretched to 4:3, typically at 320x240 or 640x480 depending on the console, and while there are options to scale up, you can't scale down from here, so 256x240 games are SOL. Unfortunate.
Update on this. MLiG published a video on vita homebrew called "Sharpscale" which I had mistakenly believed was only for vita games. Turns out, it fixes this issue. the playable window for 256x240p games is still tiny, but you get square pixels.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyNqB6_fsDM&t=0s
Homebrew: https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,112.0.html
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

That video also touches on how Sharpscale can be used as a tool to quickly discover all the different resolutions that even a single game uses throughout various of its parts (intro video, title screen, file selection, main gameplay, menu, mini games, etc.).
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

fernan1234 wrote:That video also touches on how Sharpscale can be used as a tool to quickly discover all the different resolutions that even a single game uses throughout various of its parts (intro video, title screen, file selection, main gameplay, menu, mini games, etc.).
yup, and thankfully there are few enough resolutions that could practically be of use, too.
FBX

Post by FBX »

SF Alpha 3 on the PS1 is definitely a 384 game (not 368). Here's an OSSC 4x vertical scale with 3X horizontal:

1152 ÷ 3 = 384
896 ÷ 4 = 224

In my own findings (not counting interlaced mode), I found the following 240p resolutions in the PS1:

-FBX
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

As best as I can tell, 368 and 384 are synonyms. Sony documentation, and multiple emulators, refer to 384 as 368, and while I really don't have the technical know-how to explain this, it seems fairly consistent. There are games that appear to use both resolutions actively, but the spec is 368. At least, as best as research thus far could find :roll:

--
Edit: Game list is now up to 169 titles. There are a few games I know I'm missing (mostly because they either crash in pSX or I don't have them as a bin/cue or iso) but at this point there are enough titles to make an educated guess based on who's developing the title for most heavy hitters.
FBX

Post by FBX »

NormalFish wrote:As best as I can tell, 368 and 384 are synonyms. Sony documentation, and multiple emulators, refer to 384 as 368, and while I really don't have the technical know-how to explain this, it seems fairly consistent.
There's actually a reason you can't explain it: The original Sony documentation was referring to pillarboxing. The facts are these:

1. There is NO "368" mode on the PS1. You can do 256, 320, 384, 512, and 640 widths on the PS1. 368 does NOT exist as a resolution mode of the PS1.

2. 384 and 368 are NOT "synonyms" either. You can take the original console, capture SFAIII like I have, and measure out 384 pixels in a paint program. That is FACT as shown in my image above. Whether or not a CRT might clip the sides based on geometry settings has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that the game mode itself is 384 active pixels wide.

3. This was all hashed out on the r3 Discord for capturing and scaling, and the decision was unanimous that the original documentation of 368 was simply incorrect, and any emulator or MAME document that honors it is also in error. The 384 resolution is fully frame-buffered and does not run into blanking periods as previously speculated. The fellas at 8bitmods confirmed this as well.

Update: Turns out the Sony documents were just a recommended guideline for CRT 'safe zones'. They suggesting pillarboxing in 384 mode, but this was just a suggestion and not an actual 'mode'. However, early MAME PSX Dev work took it as official since it came from Sony, and decided to render 384 in 368, cutting off graphics in many games.

Thankfully we have digital upscalers and HDMI mods to get to the bottom of the debate, and they reveal the mode to simply be 384x240 (or 384x480i when interlaced mode is turned on). Here's my own full-frame dumps showing how half the time Capcom ignored the suggestion by Sony and just direct-ported CPS background artwork pixel-for-pixel:

NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Bumping this in hopes of soliciting some more suggestions or aid in compiling games, as well as systematizing the way the list accounts for splash screens, loads, menus, etc.

I've also updated the R3 wiki page for the PS1 with a brief explanation of how the list might help create better captures. Any help in compiling image comparisons between different resolutions (maybe using SOTN as an example as it uses so many different resolutions across different scenes), generic vs optimized sampling, and misapplied sampling (ie. using 320 optimized on a 256 game) to help users decide how they wish to capture a given game would also be helpful.

Wiki entry is here: http://r3.fyi/VGC/PSX
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Can the PS1 Digital resolution database help here?

https://www.retrorgb.com/ps1-digital-ad ... abase.html
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Syntax wrote:Can the PS1 Digital resolution database help here?

Oh Shit, I didn't realize this had been started. I've been kinda AWOL from retro stuff since the summer.

They're welcome to use whatever data I've collected in my sheet, though it looks like their list isn't available publically right now? I'll ask around I guess.

In any case, their effort has presumably run in to the same as mine: tons of games use *multiple* resolutions, leading to there not being one singular resolution that works. Even if you can detect SOTN and flick to a 256 optimized profile, the menus are going to look crunchy on a digital display.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I don't have an upscaler where I need the resolution but this is scientifically interesting to me. I never thought about actually counting the pixels in a screen capture like FBX. Is as much proof as it gets!

I think you should be a little more scientific. The two PS1 emulators I see discussed as "most accurate" are DuckStation and Mednafen, though I dislike Mednafen for having no included frontend. DuckStation comes up as the only allowed PS1 emulator for some speedrunning communities. Where it's most useful here is the checkbox under Display Settings for Show Resolution and when loading a disc, displaying the disc serial number that starts with SCUS/SCES/SLPS etc:
Spoiler
Constantly showing the resolution prevents the need to pause and including the serial number would ease looking up games. Won't matter how you transliterate Japanese titles and can use the serial number to distinguish NTSC from PAL. NTSC-U always has prefix of SLUS or SCUS or LSP for the obscure Lightspan games.
I see extremely old psxdatacenter.com has a list of serial numbers compiled.

I don't blame you for locking the spreadsheet but maybe you could have a request for access on a copy.

Here's what I got from NTSC-U:
Spoiler
Armored Core (USA).........................| SCUS-94182 | 320x224 progressive
Armored Core (USA) (Reprint)............| SLUS-01323 | 320x224 progressive
Ogre Battle - Limited Edition (USA).....| SLUS-00467 | 320x224 progressive
Twisted Metal 2 (USA).......................| SCUS-94306 | 320x224 progressive

Those are the game names DuckStation and psxdatacenter use irrespective of file names. I presume are named as such on the disc. No subtitle for Twisted Metal 2: World Tour. The reprint is called v1.1 and original v1.0.
Syntax wrote:Can the PS1 Digital resolution database help here?

Where is the actual database link? RetroRGB hype video shows it for a few seconds and flags Tekken 3 as having weird resolution but I can't find the link.
Too bad the mod is difficult to install and costs more than a PS3 or upscaler that works on every console. I can't leave PS2 Fast Disc Speed myself.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

If you wanted to check out what data has been collected I'm sure a PM to Dan would do the trick.

I have been actively using it, and it would be interesting to see how effective this collection process has been so far.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:I think you should be a little more scientific. The two PS1 emulators I see discussed as "most accurate" are DuckStation and Mednafen, though I dislike Mednafen for having no included frontend. DuckStation comes up as the only allowed PS1 emulator for some speedrunning communities. Where it's most useful here is the checkbox under Display Settings for Show Resolution and when loading a disc, displaying the disc serial number that starts with SCUS/SCES/SLPS etc:
Spoiler
Constantly showing the resolution prevents the need to pause and including the serial number would ease looking up games. Won't matter how you transliterate Japanese titles and can use the serial number to distinguish NTSC from PAL. NTSC-U always has prefix of SLUS or SCUS or LSP for the obscure Lightspan games.
I see extremely old psxdatacenter.com has a list of serial numbers compiled.

I don't blame you for locking the spreadsheet but maybe you could have a request for access on a copy.

Here's what I got from NTSC-U:
Spoiler
Armored Core (USA).........................| SCUS-94182 | 320x224 progressive
Armored Core (USA) (Reprint)............| SLUS-01323 | 320x224 progressive
Ogre Battle - Limited Edition (USA).....| SLUS-00467 | 320x224 progressive
Twisted Metal 2 (USA).......................| SCUS-94306 | 320x224 progressive

Those are the game names DuckStation and psxdatacenter use irrespective of file names. I presume are named as such on the disc. No subtitle for Twisted Metal 2: World Tour. The reprint is called v1.1 and original v1.0.
This does seem faster, so I'm happy to embrace the new methodology if it shows ALL the resolutions a game uses. What does it say for one of the games that use multiple resolutions in my sheet? SotN is a good litmus test since it is a popular game that uses multiple different resolutions.

In terms of the emulators used, pSX is deprecated and not very accurate, but used because it has a very easy to use debugging tool to check resolutions. The accuracy of the emulator also isn't particularly relevant as long as it's rendering pipeline isn't totally fucked. Xebra is extremely accurate but requires trial and error. Of the two you mention, DuckStation was recently closed due to Stenzek running in to serious issues with RetroArch making hostile forks and antagonizing him, and is focused on running games in higher internal resolutions. Mednafen I've looked in to but couldn't find an easy way to show the current resolution of a game as it plays, which is likely what we'll need unless the method you show will show every relevant resolution.

Edit: Oh, and regarding locking the spreadsheet, I'm hoping to make a form that people can submit additions to that will automatically populate a second page with the data, and then I can go through and vet it when I get a chance. Haven't done that before though so I'll have to look in to it when I have some time.
Syntax wrote:If you wanted to check out what data has been collected I'm sure a PM to Dan would do the trick.

I have been actively using it, and it would be interesting to see how effective this collection process has been so far.
I asked on a discord some PixelFX folks use to help folks out, if I dont get a reply tomorrow I'll try shooting twitter DMs or emails to Dan or whomever seems most appropriate. It's sat for 25 years, it can sit another couple days. No rush.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Now that I think about it, a less accurate emulator can be perfectly fine to extract resolution like you're saying. Seems hard to botch how many horizontal and vertical lines there are. If we use different approaches that's not necessarily a bad thing either. I was aware of DuckStation closing and I sympathize with Stenzek. He did say the Android app will remain actively developed, not that I think that's helpful here.

Glad you asked PixelFX folks after I criticized the mod. I'm so mean hiding behind keyboard but I can do better. That'd be cool if they release N64 resolutions too.

Way I resolution hunted in DuckStation was try out the different game modes and menus and check if displayed resolution on the top right of screen changes. Thus there is chance of human error. If the game ending has a different resolution then, well, not going to see. I imagine there could be a Lua script to auto-record resolution changes.

Edit: I checked Display Settings and I was using Crop - Only Overscan Area instead of Crop - None. The overscan was subtracting 8 frames from top and bottom for the 224 I reported, which is not what we want when 240 is sent to capture card and computer monitors. Off-spec figures are now in-spec.

SotN, I meant to finally start that. In first 15 minutes I found:
--Short animated jingle with Konami logo on startup..................| 320x240 progressive
--Title screen and scrolling text narration after scene with Death | 512x240 progressive
--All menus..........................................................................| 368x240 progressive
--Normal gameplay.............................................................. | 256x240 progressive

Good choice lol. DuckStation calls it Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (USA) (SLUS-00067)
320x240 is what Konami's Suikoden II (USA) (SLUS-00958) boots in and stays in through intro scene, equip menu and first battle. Not ruling out possibility of more resolutions given Konami's apparent creativity.
So we're saying 368 is really 364 pillarboxed to Sony's recommendation. I'm just reporting what emulator says and you're welcome to put 364 in spreadsheet.

Fantastic Night Dreams - Cotton Original (Japan) (SLPS-02034) is interesting. Gameplay and cutscenes are 320x240 progressive, while loading screens including bootup are 320x480 interlaced. I suppose digital scaler dropping for a second or two on switch is not a gameplay issue.

I think using DuckStation is better. I tried pSX v1.13 and brought up resolution with tab but the cluttered white text doesn't show on Cotton's loading screen. DuckStation resolution shows on bottom window but I prefer enabling it on the top right as well:
Spoiler
pSX
DuckStation
DuckStation
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I don't see why this data cannot be accumulated using a script to mount the images and scan them for the known resolution registers like the eXo team do.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Okay, so heard back from Chriz on Discord, who's hopefully going to release their data soon. According to him it contains 62,497 playlogs of 594 games from 116 users. So it's pretty substantial. The data (using this game: https://psxdatacenter.com/games/J/M/SLPS-02005.html) looks like:

| | Session | Game ID | Res@FR | TS (ms) | log TS |
+---+------------+-------------+--------------+-----------+---------------------+
| 1 | session_id | SLPS-02005 | 320x240p60 | 0 | 2022-02-09 03:48:35 |
| 2 | session_id | SLPS-02005 | 256x240p60 | 63 | 2022-02-09 03:48:35 |
| 3 | session_id | SLPS-02005 | 640x240p60 | 3752 | 2022-02-09 03:48:45 |
| 4 | session_id | SLPS-02005 | 640x480i60 | 3816 | 2022-02-09 03:48:45 |
| 5 | session_id | SLPS-02005 | 256x240p60 | 21902 | 2022-02-09 03:48:55 |
| 6 | session_id | SLPS-02005 | 320x240p60 | 21948 | 2022-02-09 03:48:55 |
| 7 | session_id | SLPS-02005 | 320x240p60-r | 51958 | 2022-02-09 03:49:25 |
| 8 | session_id | SLPS-02005 | RST_A_60 | 220731 | 2022-02-09 03:52:15 |

So it gives you time stamps, records the same junk resolutions you'll see in an emulator (these are usually during loads, games will just flick around to whatever the fuck for a frame or 10), but also gives a time stamp that can be used to assess if a resolution is useful, such as in the case of a menu. The -r indicates primary gameplay resolution. Hopefully we'll find a way to use this data to make something more actionable to laypeople.
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:That'd be cool if they release N64 resolutions too.
AFAIK, the N64 is much more standardized, it shouldn't be the effort this is. Mostly just a matter of flagging which games aren't 320x240 or whatever the standard is. Probably games that run interlaced? Not sure. N64 isn't my thing.
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:Way I resolution hunted in DuckStation was try out the different game modes and menus and check if displayed resolution on the top right of screen changes. Thus there is chance of human error. If the game ending has a different resolution then, well, not going to see. I imagine there could be a Lua script to auto-record resolution changes.
This is the same as the Xebra methodology, then. It's cumbersome, and yeah, as you say, some screens will be ambiguous (something Chriz's data will probably help with)
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:SotN, I meant to finally start that. In first 15 minutes I found:
--Short animated jingle with Konami logo on startup..................| 320x240 progressive
--Title screen and scrolling text narration after scene with Death | 512x240 progressive
--All menus..........................................................................| 368x240 progressive
--Normal gameplay.............................................................. | 256x240 progressive

Good choice lol. DuckStation calls it Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (USA) (SLUS-00067)
320x240 is what Konami's Suikoden II (USA) (SLUS-00958) boots in and stays in through intro scene, equip menu and first battle. Not ruling out possibility of more resolutions given Konami's apparent creativity.
So we're saying 368 is really 364 pillarboxed to Sony's recommendation. I'm just reporting what emulator says and you're welcome to put 364 in spreadsheet.
Yeah, this is what makes SotN just a good example. 368 is a synonym of 384, with a 384 pixel active area, as explained by FBX. 364 is, for whatever reason, how some emulator report it. We dug through old Sony documentation and the documentation of a few emulators and couldn't find an obvious source. It seems as though it was an error or perhaps a misleading name for the spec early on that ended up being adopted inadvertently by emulator devs, who have now stuck with it because it really doesn't make a difference.
NewSchoolBoxer wrote:Fantastic Night Dreams - Cotton Original (Japan) (SLPS-02034) is interesting. Gameplay and cutscenes are 320x240 progressive, while loading screens including bootup are 320x480 interlaced. I suppose digital scaler dropping for a second or two on switch is not a gameplay issue.

I think using DuckStation is better. I tried pSX v1.13 and brought up resolution with tab but the cluttered white text doesn't show on Cotton's loading screen. DuckStation resolution shows on bottom window but I prefer enabling it on the top right as well:
Spoiler
pSX
DuckStation
DuckStation
If I recall correctly, Cotton Original gave me issues in pSX, which is why it's not in the list despite the fact I have a copy of this game somewhere. It's one of the ones I'm looking forward to seeing the PS1Digital data for.
Syntax wrote:I don't see why this data cannot be accumulated using a script to mount the images and scan them for the known resolution registers like the eXo team do.
It could, but hasn't. Couple reasons.
1. I'm dumb and have absolutely no math or coding chops. I'm just not well suited to doing this sort of work, though I'd be happy to facilitate the effort of someone else.
2. When I initially started this project, there wasn't a ton of interest, it was mostly my own frustration with using trial and error to find the correct resolution on my OSSC profiles and a few conversations in the R3 discord that led me here. I've gotten a handful of people who mention using it to me since then but in general it's pretty niche, so there wasn't ever an impetus to try to attract someone interested in doing the coding work.

And now, with Chriz's effort, we basically have that anyway. And with the timestamps, in a way that largely ignores some of the issues I had anticipated when initially conceptualizing how I might automate this if given the chance (mostly, avoiding junk resolutions while keeping every resolution used for a menu, splash screen, intro cutscene, etc.).
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Syntax wrote:I don't see why this data cannot be accumulated using a script to mount the images and scan them for the known resolution registers like the eXo team do.
I hadn't heard of eXo team but seems that they checked DOS games? A few minutes of looking at the Google doc sources reveals the GPU control register is at 0x1f801810 and uses 3 bits to indicate the resolution with a 4th for interlacing on/off:
Spoiler
Would seem super easy to search disc image for writes to that register with those bits, assuming binary code vs data is identifiable and the length of instructions is predictable, unlike in SNES. If only one resolution is used then no need to boot the game! With multiple resolutions then we still need to play it to see which sections use which. Static code analysis that can be applied to all games isn't going to tell you that.
NormalFish wrote:So it gives you time stamps, records the same junk resolutions you'll see in an emulator (these are usually during loads, games will just flick around to whatever the fuck for a frame or 10), but also gives a time stamp that can be used to assess if a resolution is useful, such as in the case of a menu. The -r indicates primary gameplay resolution. Hopefully we'll find a way to use this data to make something more actionable to laypeople.
That's awesome Chriz responded and is willing to release the data that helps people with ADC products he doesn't sell. Sucks how junk resolutions litter the results but at least emulators jumping between resolutions with a black screen apparently matches real hardware. Data transformation is going to be a thing. Would be easy to miss Cotton's interlaced loading screen by judging 2 seconds to be junk flickering.

I'll just message you any game resolution updates versus post them in the thread.

N64 may be more standardized outside of the 4 MB RAM expansion pack. Is mostly used to enable flavors of 480i for the few games that utilized it but I like the "hi-res" 640×222p option in Perfect Dark.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:I'll just message you any game resolution updates versus post them in the thread.
Just made a google form for submissions, viewable in a second tab on the document. Should work seemlessly though I need to fuck around to make it more readable. https://forms.gle/WMcneG9wn8k9GvDJ9
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

What's the resolution of the JPN PSX game of Squaresoft's iS: internal section? Squaresoft USA subsidairy was going release it stateside in 1999-2000 but that didn't happen, thus making it an exclusive JPN released PSX game release only. The iS: internal section OST music CD release has two extra "unused" music tracks that were not included on the actual iS game disc itself (making it a worthy purchase indeed).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:What's the resolution of the JPN PSX game of Squaresoft's iS: internal section? Squaresoft USA subsidairy was going release it stateside in 1999-2000 but that didn't happen, thus making it an exclusive JPN released PSX game release only. The iS: internal section OST music CD release has two extra "unused" music tracks that were not included on the actual iS game disc itself (making it a worthy purchase indeed).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Appears to be 640x480i throughout. It's pretty fun. I've added it to the list.

**Edit: Also made me realize I had expanded my collection and there are quite a few games I have access to testing that I haven't gone through yet. I'll do that sometime this week probably. I'd guess another 30-odd games, so that will put the list near 200. Whenever Chriz gets around to releasing his data, that will probably cover essentially every game worth playing, and certainly cover every game from a major publisher. Unfortunately, that means the games that are most difficult to infer from others (small dev projects that only released a single game) will be left. So anyone who's in to playing oddball obscure games, demo discs, etc. it would be helpful if you'd test those games and submit them via the form in the OP, or at least get in touch with me so I can test them myself.
M'cin

Post by M'cin »

NormalFish wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:52 pm Okay, so heard back from Chriz on Discord, who's hopefully going to release their data soon.
So, what's the status of this DB? I'm pretty curious, and browsing the web do not bring any results past this topic.
Should We consider it a vaporware?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

M'cin wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:08 am
NormalFish wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:52 pm Okay, so heard back from Chriz on Discord, who's hopefully going to release their data soon.
So, what's the status of this DB? I'm pretty curious, and browsing the web do not bring any results past this topic.
Should We consider it a vaporware?
I dont really post here anymore so I'm (obviously) very late to the party but yeah, Chriz didnt get back to me. I brought it up again in their discord at one point but was ignored. Hilarious development, though! They might have lost their data too cause they certainly didnt take FBX or I's learnings to heart: https://twitter.com/FBXGargoyle/status/ ... 8838385848

If folks want to give them shit for this, please also ask for that dataset lmao
vnc_c

Post by vnc_c »

Could you edit your form to make it possible to add a textbox for different vertical resolutions for PAL games?