DS Consolizer by Woozle

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gunstar

DS Consolizer by Woozle

Post by Gunstar »

woozle wrote:You can choose to display either screen fully zoomed, put them side by side, stack them, single hdmi output.
Nothing for rotated screens yet, still need to figure out if I have enough memory bandwidth to have the scaler apply rotation.
Just the original DS for now, I'll work on supporting the other models later. This will also help lay the ground work for 3DS.
I'm assuming there will be GBA support but it's not been confirmed.

Not seen this before but @Yoshi69095954 hooked it up to some laptop screens with a working touch screen so other options to handle the bottom screen are possible (although this method lacks the d-pad/buttons):
Konsolkongen

Re: DS Consolizer by Woozle

Post by Konsolkongen »

I would love to see support for TATE mode :)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Going by that picture it looks like this will also be much less destructive of the original hardware than the GBA Consolizer mod. I wonder if he'll be able to also to apply grid/scanline filters like on the GBA one, which IMO are pretty essential. Regardless, this looks great. For sure it'll be a godsend for streamers and speedrunners.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Is this compatible with the modification that allows the DS/DS Lite to work without its top screen? If so, I have a Lite-based GB Macro gathering dust that I would definitely like to fit with video output. (This looks more like a video output mod than a consolizer.)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Really curious what the controller options would be besides just using the DS. I'd really prefer to not have to cramp my hands with a portable ever again!
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
matt

Post by matt »

nmalinoski wrote:Is this compatible with the modification that allows the DS/DS Lite to work without its top screen? If so, I have a Lite-based GB Macro gathering dust that I would definitely like to fit with video output. (This looks more like a video output mod than a consolizer.)
Supposedly it's only for original model DS.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

matt wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:Is this compatible with the modification that allows the DS/DS Lite to work without its top screen? If so, I have a Lite-based GB Macro gathering dust that I would definitely like to fit with video output. (This looks more like a video output mod than a consolizer.)
Which is totally fine in my books. Those original models are very cheap to get, and no one really cares about them any more, compared to the lite. Seems like a great way to repurpose them.

Also, in that post I asked him about the NGPC consolizer and he mentioned that he's getting really close to finalizing the hardware. I'm even more excited for that one!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

matt wrote:
Sure, but my question regarding compatibility with the missing-top-screen mod still stands.
matt

Post by matt »

nmalinoski wrote:Sure, but my question regarding compatibility with the missing-top-screen mod still stands.
It would be a good use for DS units with broken hinges or top screens.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

The DS Consolizer doesn't require the top screen to function.
bobrocks95 wrote:Really curious what the controller options would be besides just using the DS. I'd really prefer to not have to cramp my hands with a portable ever again!
There will be plenty of controller options.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Will there be an option for video outputs for seperate top and bottom screens on 2 seperate displays? This is my prefered method as I do not like how 2 screens look like stacked together on a single display, this is what Nintendo did for the IS Nitro Capture and Partner-CTR Capture:

bobrocks95 wrote:There will be plenty of controller options.
Cool!
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

On the IS-SNAKE-BOX(new 3ds) it uses a single hdmi.
Some picture of it running.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/hi-this-is-devnewb.529262/
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Woozle wrote:
The DS Consolizer doesn't require the top screen to function.
bobrocks95 wrote:Really curious what the controller options would be besides just using the DS. I'd really prefer to not have to cramp my hands with a portable ever again!
There will be plenty of controller options.
Is the Wii U GamePad anywhere near a possibility or should I not get my hopes up?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Oh wow, this looks amazing! I'm really looking forward to the DS Consolizer since the only other way to play Nintendo DS games on a monitor is to buy the extremely expensive and rare IS Nitro Capture.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:Oh wow, this looks amazing! I'm really looking forward to the DS Consolizer since the only other way to play Nintendo DS games on a monitor is to buy the extremely expensive and rare IS Nitro Capture or the even more expensive and rarer Partner-CTR Capture.
Actually for DS games the Partner-CTR Capture is a MUCH better option than the IS Nitro Capture, for one the IS Nitro Capture outputs either Composite or S-Video only, is limited to 15Khz (either 240p or 480i) and the result for DS games isn't so great looking with bleeding colors and stuff, the picture also is quite small (smaller than what it does with GBA games).

The Partner-CTR Capture on the other hand outputs a clean RGB picture with an option for either digital RGB or analog RGB, you can choose between PAL or NTSC with resolutions 640x480i/p, 640x576i/p, 1280x720p, and 1280x1024, it also lets you adjust the RGB colors if you need that as well as the size of the output screen, among a bunch of other nifty options.

For GBA and GB/GBC games the GBA Consolizer is the best choice, the picture is very clean and very sharp, a much better option than the very expensive and very rare IS-AGB-CAPTURE:

Which just like the IS Nitro Capture is limited to composite and S-Video.

Pikkon wrote:On the IS-SNAKE-BOX(new 3ds) it uses a single hdmi.
Some picture of it running.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/hi-this-is-devnewb.529262/
That unit is only used for development unlike the CTR-Partner Capture, for one if you insert a DS or 3DS game cartridge into the IS-SNAKE-BOX it won't even work, the CTR-Partner Capture is the only one which is more than just a nice white/orange/green brick to anobody but developers as it will actually work and play games for average joe's. These units uses two firmwares, a software-firmware and a hardware-firmware, the IS-SNAKE-BOX and all the other units beside the CTR-Partner Capture uses a development software-firmware, only the CTR-Partner Capture uses a retail software-firmware (the same software-firmware used on consumer 3DS units).
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

Didn't know the Partner-CTR Capture upscaled that much,I used to have like six of the black and white classic controllers for the system.

On the IS-TWL-CAPTURE I think it uses wii a/v ports for video,can it do 480p over component?
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Lawfer wrote:For GBA and GB/GBC games the GBA Consolizer is the best choice, the picture is very clean and very sharp, a much better option than the very expensive and very rare IS-AGB-CAPTURE
I don't want to take away from the GBA Consolizer, which is absolutely great! Aware this is a bit off-topic, but just to complete the picture as the following seems to be rarely mentioned – for playing GB/GBC/GBA games on genuine hardware on a larger screen, there's also the option to use GBI. Along with a good scaler or line multiplier, the video quality can be on par, if not a touch better even (see MLiG comparison here). Here are two sample recordings I made - without going into too many details here - via the GBI route using an OSSC, both using 320 optim. mode, first one is line 3x, second one is line 5x (please watch in 720p, also note that YT's encoding takes away another little bit of the original sharpness/introduces artifacts): [1] [2]. If your GameCube has the Digital AV port, you could also couple that with a GCVideo-based solution to eliminate any remaining analog noise, but you'll probably want to scale/line multiply that further down the line as it only passes through the GC's native standard definition resolutions.

Some disorganized, non-exhaustive pros/cons compared to the GBA consolizer:
Spoiler
+ Considerably cheaper than pre-built Consolizer, potentially even cheaper than Consolizer kit version, depending on what building blocks you already have available (a dedicated scaler/line multiplier will probably be the most costly piece of kit). Potentially also cheaper than the upcoming Analogue Portable even if you start with nothing.
+ No hardware modification required
+ GBI has some nice extra features like a ROM+savegame dumper
+ If you want to play on a CRT, simply skip the video digitization part of the chain
+ Can optionally run on unaltered 59.7Hz framerate (which in this case is tied to overall gameplay speed), making it eligible for speedrunning

- Not a nice all-in-one solution, you have to take care of the individual parts/steps involved for setting this up yourself
- Assume that overall, more research/tinkering will be required to get optimal results
-̶ ̶N̶o̶ ̶L̶C̶B̶ ̶g̶r̶i̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶l̶t̶e̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶c̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶O̶S̶S̶C̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ Edit: alternatives exist, see insightful suggestions below, so may be a non-issue
Last edited by 6t8k on Sun May 03, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

This is a very "IMO" opinion, but for GBA (and GB/C) a grid pattern is an absolute must, which makes the GBI a no-go, regardless of any other cost or usage advantages it may have. The grid or distinct pixel look of the original low res LCD screens is just ingrained too much in my sense of how those games ought to look. But I can see this not being an issue at all for people who didn't use these handhelds much or do a lot of emulation or scaled HW gaming on modern LCDs.

I'm curious about what grid pattern filter options will look like on this DS Consolizer, since this matters for DS games as well, perhaps in a more subtle way. I'd bet that Woozle will do the same he did with the GBA Consolizer, looking at original screens and trying to match the original appearance as much as possible. Original 59.7Hz refresh rate will be added soon in a future upgrade for the GBAC. I imagine the DSC will also have 60Hz/original rate options from the start.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

6t8k wrote:- No LCB grid pattern or other advanced filters, could be provided by the upcoming OSSC Pro though
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... n#--filter
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

^ Thanks, indeed I missed that!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I think that the number of people with a rotatable 1080p or 1440p display (a significant number of desktop monitors can do this) would be much greater than the number of people with a setup that allows two displays to be stacked vertically. A 4x integer scale very nearly takes up the whole width of a rotated 1080p display, and it's also high enough resolution that a sharp-bilinear style scale would look fine with non-integer scaling factors.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Can we use a touch screen for the bottom screen to restore touch function?
matt

Post by matt »

fernan1234 wrote:This is a very "IMO" opinion, but for GBA (and GB/C) a grid pattern is an absolute must, which makes the GBI a no-go, regardless of any other cost or usage advantages it may have. The grid or distinct pixel look of the original low res LCD screens is just ingrained too much in my sense of how those games ought to look.
The OSSC can do an excellent grid filter with GBI Hi Def if you run it at 4x or 5x with custom horizontal+vertical scanlines. It looks really good.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Guspaz wrote:I think that the number of people with a rotatable 1080p or 1440p display (a significant number of desktop monitors can do this) would be much greater than the number of people with a setup that allows two displays to be stacked vertically. A 4x integer scale very nearly takes up the whole width of a rotated 1080p display, and it's also high enough resolution that a sharp-bilinear style scale would look fine with non-integer scaling factors.
The cost/practicality of including multiple HDMI ports on a handheld make it hard to justify for the limited number of people who would be able to use it. On my development board prototype I implemented a screen rotation module (which used on-chip memory) and it was a lot of fun to play it in that mode. I still need to try to get it working on my custom PCB which uses a different memory type (SDRAM).
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I think if both screens could be on the TV in TATE mode that would likely be the motivation to redo my living room setup with a rotatey TV stand.

Make me do it, Woozle. Make me do it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Woozle wrote:
Guspaz wrote:I think that the number of people with a rotatable 1080p or 1440p display (a significant number of desktop monitors can do this) would be much greater than the number of people with a setup that allows two displays to be stacked vertically. A 4x integer scale very nearly takes up the whole width of a rotated 1080p display, and it's also high enough resolution that a sharp-bilinear style scale would look fine with non-integer scaling factors.
The cost/practicality of including multiple HDMI ports on a handheld make it hard to justify for the limited number of people who would be able to use it.
While I agree, a single miniDP connector (assuming that would fit) and MST support would allow for daisy-chaining a couple monitors to achieve the dual-screen setup from a single connector, and everyone would just have buy a ~$10 MiniDP to HDMI cable instead of a ~$10 MiniHDMI to HDMI cable.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

nmalinoski wrote:The video and system timing of the DS is unmodified.
So the DS Consolizer is outputting at 59.83Hz? (apparently that's also what PS1 games run at for 240p).
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Einzelherz wrote:I think if both screens could be on the TV in TATE mode that would likely be the motivation to redo my living room setup with a rotatey TV stand.

Make me do it, Woozle. Make me do it.
lol i agree with this 100%
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Somewhat related video from 1 year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTxs7bxhi0
fwannmacher

Post by fwannmacher »

What is the status of this sweetie? What about Wii U GamePad support?