Nintendo 64 RGB Advanced - Totally lost

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Yelko

Nintendo 64 RGB Advanced - Totally lost

Post by Yelko »

Hello everyone,

I am part of the guys who read a lot on your forum because I find all the info I need and never comment :) You are amazing !

But today I am totally lost, and it could be great if you can give me expertise on that issue. Maybe it's only me and I should be happy about what I have. Anyway you will tell me.

Here is my spec :

- N64 PAL - NUS-CPU P-02 - Board N64 RGB Advanced
Spoiler
- Mario 64 PAL
- Universal Nintendo PACKAPUNCH RGB SCART cable
Spoiler
- OSSC - Profile from FirebrandX
- TV OLED LG C9

Here's a test with the PAL Snes, I can get an excellent picture. Strange that the PAL Snes provide a picture in 240p. But ok ! (Forgot to put the scanlines when I took the picture, SHAME ON ME !)
Spoiler
Here's a test from a PAL Wii, I can get also an excellent picture. Again something strange, it provide a picture 576p when I put as setting 480p. But ok AGAIN ! I don't want emulation :/
Spoiler
This was only to show you that I can get the resolution we want with this TV for the N64.

Now let's go on the N64 PAL so 288p. I can get a picture with the profile of FirebrandX until Line x4 with the OSSC. The issue is, the picture is disgusting. I know that the picture from a N64 will never be excellent, but I am sure we can get better than what I have right now. All the line double from the OSSC makes the picture disgusting of the menu of the N64 Advanced and IG. The best picture overall I get is from the passthrough which I am sure there is something wrong.

Here's a test with x2 (OSSC 288p x2):
Spoiler
Here's a test with x3 (OSSC 288p x3):
Spoiler
Here's a test with x4 (OSSC 288p x4):
Spoiler
Here's a test with Passthroug (OSSC 288p):
Spoiler
Now, I want you to see when I try to put the double lining from N64 directly. I thought it would be a good solution for my issue but it's unplayable. And it doesn't even change the resolution of my TV. The console says that in Output it's 576p, but in reality, I am still in 288p resolution on the OSSC. (No black screen of changing resolution when I do the manipulation)

Here's a test with Passthroug (Double lining from N64) :
Spoiler
Here's a test with x4 (Double lining from N64) :
Spoiler
All the others are the same (x2,x3). It's disgusting.

In conclusion, here's my questions, why can't I use the double lining from the console ? The cable that I use is not good enough ?
Do you think I can get a better picture ? If yes, How ? Maybe the profile of FirebrandX is not good for PAL ?

I am lost :'( Please help me, it's my favorite console and it's this one that i can't get a playable picture.

Thank you,

Yelko
Kez

Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Advanced - Totally lost

Post by Kez »

Personally I just use generic 4:3 profile on N64 Advanced with OSSC.

If you want to use FBX profile, your sampling phase is way off that's why it looks the way it does.
Yelko

Post by Yelko »

After a lot test and investigation. The pin 9 is not linked to the N64A. That's why I have some issue with the quality of the picture and the sync.

Moreover, the firmware of my baord si not updated so it can give something more.

I will keep you in touch when everything is fixed :)
Yelko

Post by Yelko »

Hello guys,

Everything is repaired !!

Actually we had to update the firmware and cut the traces on pin 3 and 7. The pin 9 is also linked now to the board and everything worked.

Thank you everyone :)
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

What's your latest firmware you flashed?

Updated mine last night.

Previously:
HDL: 1.55
SW: 1.55

New:
HDL: 1.55
SW: 1.56

This fixed the IGR not being available, but I'm still having issues with Line2x and Line3x modes.
2x will create a duplicate image and run them side by side
3x will create 3 images and run them side by side on the screen.

With Line2x and 3x disabled, the image comes through great and looks very nice through my OSSC. None of the other issues you had seen.

My n64 doesn't have the components on the board for traces on pin 3 to be in use and I'm using sync on luma with a scart cable.
Image and sync look great unless i'm trying to run 2x or 3x modes
Kez

Post by Kez »

If you are using Luma from the console instead of the sync output from the N64A, you will not be able to use the line multiplication modes.
uberpolka

Post by uberpolka »

Kez wrote:If you are using Luma from the console instead of the sync output from the N64A, you will not be able to use the line multiplication modes.

Thumps up

Thanks.

I had some stupid workaround while initially having problems. switched the scart cable back over to csync and removed the wire jumper on the av output of the n64.

line2x works now, line3x is working but being detected as weird resolution by the ossc. need to mess with timings i'm sure.

Thanks again!
Kez

Post by Kez »

No worries, tbh if you are using an OSSC there is not much reason to mess with the Line2x or 3x modes on the N64A. You will probably get best results just setting it to 240p and using the OSSC to scale.