finally got an NES toploader... plus controller question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
professor ganson

finally got an NES toploader... plus controller question

Post by professor ganson »

...and I can now finally load my games! ALL of them. It's unbelievable. I'm most looking forward to playing my Zanac, Image Fight, Gradius, 1943, and Kirby's Adventure. (The latter allows for copying abilities and is quite fun.) Anyway, I'm now a big fan of the toploader and highly recommend it.

So mine didn't come with the dogbone controller. Does it make much of a difference? What's the best NES controller to get?
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The dogbone controller is more rounded and comfortable (similar to a shrunken SNES controller), the d-pad is more elevated, and the face buttons are convex and angled.

I like the dogbone's d-pad and overall feel, but prefer the buttons on the standard controller. Either one will do fine though.
stoneroses

Post by stoneroses »

Congrats on the top loader purchase! Lots of fun without the blinking screen. There is just something magical about the top loader. Probablly the best purchase I ever made, cause you know it will always work. Did you notice how tight the games are when you try and pull them out?

Surprisingly, I have an orginal front loader that I had repaired to new condition by a Nintendo repair center and it works slighly better than the top loader. Probablly since it is basically a new system on the inside.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably just stick with the standard controller.

Last night I accidentally left my new NES on all night long-- somehow I turned the tv off but not the console. Stupid. So I turn on the tv, and the Zanac intro screen is still doing its thing. The console was slightly warm, but seems there was no problem.