Scart Switcher Aliexpress

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Bratwurst

Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress

Post by Bratwurst »

Fatass wrote:Bratwurst, did you use a positive centre power supply when you were testing your aliexpress switch?
I used 9 volt 1 amp (only consumed 0.1amp) with center positive tip on my adjustable benchtop power supply. I verified the polarity of the transistor inside of the scart switch first though. You'll wanna check.
Trevor spencer wrote:I'll probably go for the 6 port standard otaku switch.
That's what I suggest, I have a 6-port standard from Otaku and kept it, works great for what it is. I got rid of the AliExpress Time Harvest special, with full disclosure to the buyer.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Ordering a 4k60hz 12 port hdmi switch from Alabama wish me luck.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Elrinth wrote:Ordering a 4k60hz 12 port hdmi switch from Alabama wish me luck.
May luck be with you.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Fatass

Post by Fatass »

Cheers bratwurst, I've got plenty of >1A dc power supplies lying around so I'm set.

I finally got my otaku-games version of this aliexpress switch (or is it vice versa). It has more or less the same issue that bratwurst reported when using picture shift but the component converter is pretty good (??).

Component output can be positioned using the same h/v knobs on my unit but it still jiggles so i turned off the sync processing switch.

I am using a standard sd consumer crt TV for rgb scart and a modern HD lcd telly for component.

Atm I'm doing more testing with different consoles, some seem more prone to the jiggle than others although it does happen randomly and could be explained by sheer chance.

I'll fool around with it for now and post additional findings in my new otaku switch thread. Im also informing otaku-games of this issue and awaiting their reply.
War on hemorrhoids.
kamon62

Post by kamon62 »

Hey guys, new to the forums here but just bought this switch through otaku games and wanted to clarify some things. My Trinitron has component so I ran my GameCube through RGB and out through the component converter and was very pleased with the results! Whether it's darkening the picture is hard to know as my TV doesn't accept RGB directly but it looks crisp and vibrant to my eyes.

Some weird quirk I'm seeing is that while sync adjustment does move the picture it behaves oddly in the two cases I've test so far. GC cable most likely had a stripper of some kind so didn't move the picture at all. My megadrive running through retrogamingcables' RGB cable moves the picture halfway down the screen as soon as sync adjustment is switched on. You can move the picture but not enough to get it back to centre. Horizontal is fine it's just vertical that does it. Its not a big deal considering its framed perfectly with sync off anyway but I would like to hear if anybody else has seen this behaviour on their switches.
Fatass

Post by Fatass »

kamon62 that sounds odd. I tested mine with a jp mega drive 2 via scart and didn't come across that. I use csync packapunch scart cables across my consoles except for dreamcast which uses a thefoo83 scart instead.

I havent tried centering controls thru the switcher's component out with the md2 but I did with both the neo geo CD and the dreamcast and they could be moved to the exact centre of the screen although it jiggles after leaving it like that :? .

I'll give it a try when I get home. BTW my switcher seems to loose track of vertical position settings sometimes despite me not touching the v-pos knob.
War on hemorrhoids.
Fatass

Post by Fatass »

Tested the md2 with csync packapunch cable hooked to this otaku switcher. Used component out this time, connected to my Panasonic HD lcd TV. Sync switch turned on. Apart from the yellows looking a bit washed out I had no massive image offset from the get-go. Was able to move the image in all directions but it would start jumping violently if I moved it more than 2 inches up or down.

Was able to centre it manually and left it for a while but the jiggle came back so I switched off sync and the image was centered perfectly.

The switcher seems to lose track of vertical positioning after a while and I have to turn the v-pos knob back to neutral or it will get progressively further away and end up on one extremity or the other.

I don't have a gc but I do have a packapunch neogeo CD scart with an lm 1881 inside it. It had the same result as my megadrive2....
War on hemorrhoids.
kamon62

Post by kamon62 »

Fatass wrote: The switcher seems to lose track of vertical positioning after a while and I have to turn the v-pos knob back to neutral or it will get progressively further away and end up on one extremity or the other.

I don't have a gc but I do have a packapunch neogeo CD scart with an lm 1881 inside it. It had the same result as my megadrive2....
Seems like I'm not missing out either way with the sync adjustment given the other issues. Thanks for checking it out, I'll leave it off. To be fair I was mostly excited for the RGB to comp converter for my non scart Crt. Honestly stoked to have a switch that didn't cost me $400 dollars that works! Has anyone tried out otaku games' automatic switch yet? Would pair nicely with my framemeister if it plays ball with resolution switching.