shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:22 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 935
Location: UK
Hi

Has anyone had any experience with one of these ? i find the vertical and horizontal adjustment interesting

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000259 ... web201603_

Thanks
_________________
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:32 pm 



Joined: 29 Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Is that something for you? if you don't need scart.........
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32910155 ... sstype=600


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 227
Woah, it looks like the Otaku scart switch on steroids. I could really use the v/h adjustment too. Just might buy this.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 935
Location: UK
Hi

Another interesting product , Thanks but i have my eye on a Otaku Scart switcher as i have quite a few consoles running RGB scart but just happened to see this and was interested if anyone has used one.

Thanks
_________________
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 70
Location: TX
I don't want to want this, but here we are.

It actually looks rather compelling. First, off, the obvious: it is clearly based on the Otaku SCART switcher, which is known to be fine. Still, it only has 6 simultaneous inputs and I would love to have more. I need 9 if I want to use a single switch. I currently use 3 Bandridge 3-way automatic switchers plugged into a fourth to achieve this goal, and it works perfectly.

The one thing that I really like about this switch is the YpBpR output. I can't wait to find out how that looks. I'm probably still going to get the RGB2COMP instead, but it's great that a new option may have just surfaced. And it is super convenient to have that transcoder built in to the switch. One power supply is better than five (my setup). The centering controls are a nice bonus, too. My Duo-R likes to render a black bar on the bottom of the screen, and it makes me a bit nuts. With this I can reduce that effect.

It is also interesting that there is a SCART in/out switch. Since this is a powered device, maybe it can be used as a SCART distribution amplifier. I would love to have more simultaneous outputs.

The product literature claims that this is an automatic switcher, but there i can't see a toggle control for that, and it does have selector buttons for the inputs. I bet it is not automatic. The site also calls it a 6-in, 1-out device, but on the acrylic top is printed "6IN2OUT".

Good find.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 227
I ordered one and will post my impressions when it eventually arrives sometime in 2025. I'm being optimistic I am aware.

The '6IN2OUT' inscription is probably suggesting the RGBS RCA jacks on the side could be used in tandem with the scart output.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 4042
Location: Québec City
I think I read that for the Otaku one at least, the 2 outputs can't be usd at the same time.

We'll see about this one.

either way it's still neat to be able to plug component leads and not having to take them out.
_________________
-FM Synth & Black Metal-


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 935
Location: UK
Bratwurst wrote:
I ordered one and will post my impressions when it eventually arrives sometime in 2025. I'm being optimistic I am aware.

The '6IN2OUT' inscription is probably suggesting the RGBS RCA jacks on the side could be used in tandem with the scart output.


Nice , I'll hold off on ordering the otaku until I hear your opinion on this , I really like the idea of H/V adjustment as it would stop me messing with my service settings on my TV all the time.
_________________
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 May 2018
Posts: 586
Location: Escondido, CA, USA
I have an otaku switch, great product. I also have a scart to ypbpr converter. And i'm in need of a true dual scart output, assuming the scart out and rca out can be used simultaneously. This could eliminate 2 additional pieces of hardware for me. Eagerly awaiting a review. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:30 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 358
I am not sure about this one, but other stuff popping up on Aliexpress seems to be stuff made by/clones of devices made by this TaoBao guy:

https://diy918.world.taobao.com/

Personally, I am more interested in the products made by this other TaoBao seller, they look very sleek:

https://axunwork.world.taobao.com/
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:15 am 



Joined: 19 Mar 2017
Posts: 320
kitty666cats wrote:
Personally, I am more interested in the products made by this other TaoBao seller, they look very sleek:

https://axunwork.world.taobao.com/


https://gd4.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/9230 ... 018680.jpg :shock:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:39 am 


User avatar

Joined: 14 May 2013
Posts: 155
SCARTicus wrote:
I don't want to want this, but here we are.

It actually looks rather compelling. First, off, the obvious: it is clearly based on the Otaku SCART switcher, which is known to be fine. Still, it only has 6 simultaneous inputs and I would love to have more. I need 9 if I want to use a single switch. I currently use 3 Bandridge 3-way automatic switchers plugged into a fourth to achieve this goal, and it works perfectly.

The one thing that I really like about this switch is the YpBpR output. I can't wait to find out how that looks. I'm probably still going to get the RGB2COMP instead, but it's great that a new option may have just surfaced. And it is super convenient to have that transcoder built in to the switch. One power supply is better than five (my setup). The centering controls are a nice bonus, too. My Duo-R likes to render a black bar on the bottom of the screen, and it makes me a bit nuts. With this I can reduce that effect.

It is also interesting that there is a SCART in/out switch. Since this is a powered device, maybe it can be used as a SCART distribution amplifier. I would love to have more simultaneous outputs.

The product literature claims that this is an automatic switcher, but there i can't see a toggle control for that, and it does have selector buttons for the inputs. I bet it is not automatic. The site also calls it a 6-in, 1-out device, but on the acrylic top is printed "6IN2OUT".

Good find.


This one will be out soon, it's pricey, but has 10 inputs and a few neat features.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... post209933


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2020
Posts: 14
About the Otaku scart switch. I actually put in an order for one of those several months ago and it never even was shipped out. When I asked them about it, I received a reply from a rep named Candy that told me they are waiting for more but it's slow and could have long delays.

I was polite the entire time and asked if I could cancel my order then since it was unknown when it would be shipped and I was concerned about my purchase coverage expiring since I made the purchase so long ago. They never replied to me after that. I messaged them 3 more times over 2 weeks and they wouldn't work with me. I ended up having to dispute the transaction. Who knows, maybe something happened. But that's my story and I thought I would share it. Just as a PSA I guess.


Here's the last message:

otaku-games.com <contact@otaku-games.com>

Sun, Mar 29, 6:41 AM

to me
Hello,

First of all I'm very sorry for the delay. The current situation with the Corona Virus has put a lot of strain on our supply chain and the time usually needed from manufacturing to shipping to our warehouse has been hit very hard. We are still getting stuff manufactured but at a much slower pace then usual. We received our latest shipment a few weeks ago and a lot of orders were processed and shipped. The next shipment we do expect in mid to end of April, but with the situation currently very hard to predict there can be delays. We hope for your understanding and try our best to get the order to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Candy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:11 pm 



Joined: 20 May 2017
Posts: 10
Yeah, I ordered one around the 26th of February and got the same e-mail when I asked about it a month later. I'm probably just going to hang on for now though, since I already have a 3D-printed enclosure for it that arrived a while back.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:41 pm 



Joined: 22 Oct 2018
Posts: 38
Ingy wrote:
Yeah, I ordered one around the 26th of February and got the same e-mail when I asked about it a month later. I'm probably just going to hang on for now though, since I already have a 3D-printed enclosure for it that arrived a while back.


I already have the SCART switch and I received that within two weeks (pre covid19 obviously) I was going to pick up the component version but I think I'll wait a little longer to give them time to get their supply chain back in order since a few people here are having trouble.

This new one looks really interesting - I love the idea of the HPOS and VPOS adjustment!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2303
Location: Montréal, Canada
It's pretty clearly a knockoff of the Otaku unit, with some tweaks for added features. Even the PCB and acrylic text is the same font/position, it's virtually identical. I'm not sure people should be supporting this sort of design stealing.

Here's the closest matching Otaku switch that I can find:

Image

And here's this Ali Express ripoff y'all are talking about:

Image

That's not just similar, that's "copy exactly and modify".

Though, to be fair, another possibility is that the Otaku switches are not designed by them and they're just purchasing switches from the same designer in China.

EDIT: The AliExpress store has some other hardware (like some JAMMA stuff) that uses the same design style that Otaku doesn't have, so I'm actually thinking that maybe it's Otaku that's buying the switches from them (or the same source) and not somebody stealing Otaku's design.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 935
Location: UK
Bratwurst wrote:
I ordered one and will post my impressions when it eventually arrives sometime in 2025. I'm being optimistic I am aware.

The '6IN2OUT' inscription is probably suggesting the RGBS RCA jacks on the side could be used in tandem with the scart output.



Hi Mate

Did it ever turn up ?

Ta
_________________
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 227
Trevor spencer wrote:
Hi Mate

Did it ever turn up ?

Ta


It's not 2025 yet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 935
Location: UK
Yeah good point
_________________
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 227
It is finally 2025. (The scart switch arrived.)

It works but there are issues. In the unpowered state, which you switch to whether you're giving it voltage or not, it behaves exactly like a passive device, between it and the Otaku I could not discern any signal quality difference. All of my scart cables have individually shielded lines and use either sync on luma or composite video in the case of the Genesis.

Toggling to the powered state introduces some very faint interference/shimmer in bright objects like white clouds, I had to look up close to my 32" Toshiba to notice this however. I tried different power supplies including a benchtop with controllable voltage/amperage. Only consumes 110 milliamps at 9 volt btw. In this powered state you can adjust vertical/horizontal but with some games if you shift too far to the left the image darkens to black and changes hue.

Occasionally in this powered state the display will jostle up and down, maybe once every 3-5 minutes. Seemed to happen more often at the title screen for Super Mario 3 and gameplay in general, but I noticed it periodically for Megaman 4 and in Sonic 1 on the Sega Genesis too. This is the deal killer for me and I'm reaching out to the seller to see what they have to say about this. I'm wondering if the vertical adjust pot's just flaky because that's what it looks like- the image jiggling as if the pot is being adjusted, only it isn't getting touched.

The component encoder produces a dimmer image than the RGB output. It cannot be adjusted with vertical/horizontal knobs. Clarity is good but colors are dull. I don't have a lot of experience with RGB to component devices so this is just my impression for this one.

Before I dared to connect the thing to my television, I made sure to measure the output with my oscilloscope and video signals were all still .7Vpp

As a final note, most of the chips had their faces sanded to obscure what they are.

Here's a closeup of the guts: https://i.imgur.com/jgZUit9.jpg The smaller chip on the green board is at least identifiable as a LM1881.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:38 am 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 469
Bratwurst wrote:
As a final note, most of the chips had their faces sanded to obscure what they are.


Oh god, is that a common thing to do?? Yikes never heard of that, sounds sketchy!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:49 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 358
ldeveraux wrote:
Bratwurst wrote:
As a final note, most of the chips had their faces sanded to obscure what they are.


Oh god, is that a common thing to do?? Yikes never heard of that, sounds sketchy!


Super common, Extron did/does this a lot... tons of companies do it. Preventative measure from gettin' their shit cloned! :P
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 935
Location: UK
Hi

Thanks for the in depth review , that is a real shame about the picture jiggle :(

Probably best to give this a skip then , I take it the otaku scart dosnt have this issue as it has no V/H adjustment.

Thanks
_________________
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:36 am 



Joined: 29 Jul 2016
Posts: 8
this "picture jiggle" can also be seen on this jamma adapter.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32910155435.html

there is probably a circuit fault, maybe someone can fix that?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:48 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 469
kitty666cats wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Bratwurst wrote:
As a final note, most of the chips had their faces sanded to obscure what they are.


Oh god, is that a common thing to do?? Yikes never heard of that, sounds sketchy!


Super common, Extron did/does this a lot... tons of companies do it. Preventative measure from gettin' their shit cloned! :P


Ugh, Extron sucks for many reasons including refusing to allow end users access to firmware updates/tools unless they request it. For each individual update. And it's hosted on some bucket somewhere.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scart Switcher Aliexpress
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:41 pm 



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 500
Location: Sydney, Australia
shmupsman wrote:
this "picture jiggle" can also be seen on this jamma adapter.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32910155435.html

there is probably a circuit fault, maybe someone can fix that?


The circuit works by using cascaded one-shots (monostable multivibrators) to delay the horizontal and vertical pulses by one line and one frame, respectively. This works very well for separated horizontal and vertical sync signals - some old computer monitors even use a similar circuit for centering the picture. What doesn't work well is making the result back into composite sync again. There's some rules about when a vertical pulse can start relative to a horizontal one, as well as a special way of mixing the two together which such a simple circuit doesn't do according to standard.

I don't know if this is what causes the problem described though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Guspaz, Opatus, uberpolka and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group