Playing PAL games on modded NTSC PS1 & SFC:- Screen Wobble

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Restart_Point

Playing PAL games on modded NTSC PS1 & SFC:- Screen Wobble

Post by Restart_Point »

I have a mod-chipped NTSC-U PS1, and Japanese Super Famicom (SuperCIC-UiGR). I am using RGB cables for both. I have noticed with both consoles that when they are in PAL mode to play original PAL format carts/discs, the screen wobbles at regular intervals. The picture is perfect in between the wobble periods, but every 8-15 seconds, the whole screen briefly shifts side to side.

To be clear, this is not a general issue with continuously imperfect juddery scrolling, it's something which is not happening at all for a period of 8-15 seconds, then is suddenly very apparent for 1 second, then totally stops again for another period of secs and repeats regularly like this. I can force the SFC into NTSC mode when playing a PAL game and this eliminates the problem so that is what I can do for the majority of games, but some select PAL games like Super Mario Kart do not play properly in 60hz mode so require 50hz mode. My PS1 does not have a way of forcing PAL discs to play at 60hz (as far as I know) so I cannot play any PAL games on that with out the issue.

I am using a UK-purchased Samsung LE40D503F7W flat screen TV. (Like most modern TVs this processes 240p as interlaced, but it's very good in all other respects with good response time etc)

Is there any way to stop this on my TV? Would different RGB cables avoid the problem, maybe that use a different sync method? I was wondering specifically if sync-on-luma type cables from RetroGamingCables might make a difference.

Not wanting to cloud the issue further....I happen to have just ordered a RetroTink 2X-SCART (not arrived yet). Is there any possibility this will sort the issue out?
Last edited by Restart_Point on Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daty2k1

Re: Playing PAL games on modded NTSC PS1 & SFC:- Screen Wob

Post by daty2k1 »

For the PS1 I believe you have 2 options:
- Get a PAL PS1
- Install a dual frequency oscillator

This is because of the difference in crystal frequencies in NTSC and PAL systems. A NTSC system will run PAL games around 1% faster (or slower?) than a PAL system which might explain the judder.

Edit: you could also try to patch your PAL games to run at 60hz.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

daty2k1 wrote: - Install a dual frequency oscillator
Thanks. I looked up dual frequency oscillator. Regarding the SFC, it appears there is a more expensive mod chip board which includes a DFO. I am guessing this is essential to eliminate the problem i'm referring too when playing PAL games in PAL mode on an NTSC machine. Does anyone have one of these or can confirm ? https://8bitmods.com/supercic-aio-with- ... -dejitter/
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Restart_Point wrote:Does anyone have one of these or can confirm ? https://8bitmods.com/supercic-aio-with- ... -dejitter/
Oh wow, I must have missed that borti’s new superCIC design was released! Very cool, but unfortunately pricey too...!
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

daty2k1 wrote:For the PS1 I believe you have 2 options:
I just oredred a RetroTink 2X-Scart https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/ ... k-2x-scart . (Not to remedy this problem, I wanted it any way)
Do you think there's any chance that might sort it out?
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Restart_Point wrote:
I just oredred a RetroTink 2X-Scart https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/ ... k-2x-scart . (Not to remedy this problem, I wanted it any way)
Not sure but I don't think it will as it is just a line doubler from my understanding.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

daty2k1 wrote:
Restart_Point wrote:
Not sure but I don't think it will as it is just a line doubler from my understanding.

I just came back here to say the RetroTink 2X-Scart does fix the problem (as far as I have seen with the naked eye so far). This is a fantastic unexpected benefit of the RetroTink.

I don't understand ALL the ins and outs like most people here do but I did read that some TVs can cope much better than others with the timing differences that can cause jitter (clearly my TV is not one of those), but apparently the RetroTink can iron out the problem too. Great! I can now play my PAL Mario Kart cart with no picture issues on a chipped Super Famicom which has been forced into 50Hz. (same goes for my NTSC PS1) So the RetroTink has killed two birds with one stone. Properly processed 480p and de-jittered.