Pick your Brain about an RGB mod Im working on. So close.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Johnny90k

Pick your Brain about an RGB mod Im working on. So close.

Post by Johnny90k »

Howdy All. Was wondering If I could pick your brains about some issues im having with a RGB mod ive been working on.

Repaired an old CurtisMathes TV i found on the side of the road (Just needed a new plug, yay) Anyways, wanted to RGB mod it.
This TV is basically just a rebadged samsung TV for Kmart (1999 For the WIN)

I have found 2 seperate people online, that have RGB modfied this TV (Same board / IC etc) but I .. am having no luck.

Jungle IC is a ka2163b

Retro Tech Modified this same TV on his youtube channel here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7RcsYn_eLY&t=425s

So here is my question.

First off, All I am able to achieve is, a Black and white (Albeit Sharp!) image on my screen. This however, only appears if i DO NOT, send 5v to the Blanking chip. It appears full screen, and NOT in the ODB menus. I've literally copied everything that was done from the aforementioned video, but to no avail. If i do send 5v to the blanking pin, I just get a black screen.

Second question. I am using a sega genesis to deliver the RGB signal. My RGB cables have not arrive yet, due to the current climate, shipping has been slow. So Essentially what I am doing is running the R/G/B/Sync wires directly into the sega genesis port (And have also soldered them directly to the Din connection on the board itself too. I know that a good RGB / SCART cable with have terminated ends and such with resistors, but... i should still be able to get some sort of color out of the genesis by doing this no?

... Just wondering if it will ever work at all given the lack of the RGB/Skart cable, or if Im just wasting my time till those cables arrive.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advanced. BE SAFE!