Terraonion MODE - Dreamcast & Saturn ODE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Flashman

Re: Terraonion MODE - Dreamcast & Saturn ODE

Post by Flashman »

FBX wrote:
Flashman wrote:
FirebrandX: a well known TO sympathiser and apologist.
That's the kind of response I expect from someone holding a pitchfork and torch.
I simply remember you in all the Youtube comments at the time, attempting to bully people out of the opinions they had formed.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

My thoughts are similar to Voultars:

- The more competition, the better. Keeps everyone honest.

- The sweet UI is very welcomed in the flash cart world, especially since the competitions is very lacking. However, I wish they would support symlinks or hard links so folders could be utilized in the menu systems without having to duplicate roms.

-The price is too high, and anyone can see the 2-console thing is to keep manufacturing costs down- yet it increases costs to the consumer. That was the wrong move. Honestly, they could remedy this by releasing the 2 separate ODE's, and I'd say $125 each SHIPPED would be a sweet spot. That's a good honest price and they'll sell tons of them. Keep in mind, it's common knowledge their competitor GDEMU has a clone which costs $60, and works fine- minus the sweet UI.
Side note: Ya' think the average consumer gives a rats-ass about "supporting the original dev" by paying 3-4 times the price?

TLDR: Either way, it's a very welcomed addition to the market, if not for the sake of competition.
TO has been kicking ass in the flash cart UI department, but their sales/marketing department needs some help.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:Not everyone installs the wires or wants 50/60hz functionality. If you want that you still need to install a wire. But nothing is needed for region free functionality outside the 50/60hz.
Apparently it autoswitches without additional mods. I just saw this on their twitter -

broken

Post by broken »

Sorry guys, I misspoke on that tweet.

MODE itself can switch the console from 50 to 60Hz and vice versa, however a cable will need to be soldered. On MODE there is a JST connector for all sorts of external triggers and forcing the console from 50 to 60hz is one of them.

Region switching doesn't require that.

We had a flurry of tweets coming at us for the first couple days and I misread that as region switching rather than video mode switching.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
donluca

Post by donluca »

Flashman wrote:I simply remember you in all the Youtube comments at the time, attempting to bully people out of the opinions they had formed.
Out of curiosity, what kind of reply from TO are you expecting which would actually shift your views towards the company?

Like "yeah, they said exactly what I was expecting, the apology and actions taken are perfectly acceptable, I feel like the company is ok now".
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

broken wrote:Sorry guys, I misspoke on that tweet.

MODE itself can switch the console from 50 to 60Hz and vice versa, however a cable will need to be soldered. On MODE there is a JST connector for all sorts of external triggers and forcing the console from 50 to 60hz is one of them.

We had a flurry of tweets coming at us for the first couple days and I misread that as region switching rather than video mode switching.
Another question. Will MODE have some kind of save function at least seeing how both Saturn and Dreamcast are seriously limited in this regard? If not could you pass on this request to the developers?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

donluca wrote:
Flashman wrote:I simply remember you in all the Youtube comments at the time, attempting to bully people out of the opinions they had formed.
Out of curiosity, what kind of reply from TO are you expecting which would actually shift your views towards the company?

Like "yeah, they said exactly what I was expecting, the apology and actions taken are perfectly acceptable, I feel like the company is ok now".
why does redemption even have to be an option?
broken

Post by broken »

H6rdc0re wrote:

Another question. Will MODE have some kind of save function at least seeing how both Saturn and Dreamcast are seriously limited in this regard? If not could you pass on this request to the developers?
While both are being looked at, Saturn is unrealistic due to the limited speed of the cd block controller. However on the DC it's bidirectional and very fast so saving is very possible and it's currently on the roadmap.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I didn't think about this before, but this kit should have a WiFi module for easy firmware updates and file management.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

broken wrote: However on the DC it's bidirectional and very fast so saving is very possible and it's currently on the roadmap.
I'm hoping for a half-assed implementation before ditching all support and ignoring all questions about, followed by a move to the next project. SSDS3 latest firmware over a year ago.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Thanks for clearing that up.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

spmbx wrote:
broken wrote: However on the DC it's bidirectional and very fast so saving is very possible and it's currently on the roadmap.
I'm hoping for a half-assed implementation before ditching all support and ignoring all questions about, followed by a move to the next project. SSDS3 latest firmware over a year ago.
TO isn't the only company guilty of that. Analogue does the same thing. Quick cash grab followed by maybe a year of support then they move on to the next product and never again update or even respond to questions about former ones.
donluca

Post by donluca »

maxtherabbit wrote:why does redemption even have to be an option?
It does not necessarily have to be an option.
If it isn't an option, that would prove FBX's point that there's no good reason to reply to inquiries from people who have already made their minds up about TO.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

mario64 wrote:
spmbx wrote:
TO isn't the only company guilty of that. Analogue does the same thing. Quick cash grab followed by maybe a year of support then they move on to the next product and never again update or even respond to questions about former ones.
Yep still waiting on that true fullscreen line 5x (1600x1200p) support for the Super NT and Mega SG... :cry:

The UltraHDMI got 1600x1200p support and it's awesome. No cut-off and screen filling on my 4K OLED.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

suddenly everyone in the EU was lumbered with an additional charge of 40-60 euros.
You forget that buying outside the EU you don't pay VAT at point of purchase it is instead slapped on at customs. In other words, some of that cost would have been paid by you when you bought it had they stayed in Spain.

The additional charge is more likely to be 10 to 30 euros due to handling fees.

Still, additional fees suck, it's why we moved to Ireland.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

What about the NeoSD PRO MVS? I was hoping they would announce it on the 17th but nothing...
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

BuckoA51 wrote:
suddenly everyone in the EU was lumbered with an additional charge of 40-60 euros.
You forget that buying outside the EU you don't pay VAT at point of purchase it is instead slapped on at customs. In other words, some of that cost would have been paid by you when you bought it had they stayed in Spain.

The additional charge is more likely to be 10 to 30 euros due to handling fees.
Between the "shipped from spain, inc VAT" sales, and move to andora and actual sale "exc VAT", price stayed the same.
So it was a net price increase for EU buyers.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Between the "shipped from spain, inc VAT" sales, and move to andora and actual sale "exc VAT", price stayed the same.
So it was a net price increase for EU buyers.
Ah okay, I didn't notice that. Maybe they weren't VAT registered in Spain then.

If they are saving so much corporation tax now maybe they can pass some savings onto us customers :)
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

https://stoneagegamer.com/terraonion-mo ... n-ode.html

Stone Age Gamer pre-orders open NOW!
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Mode will be getting PS1 support:
Click for video
It requires an additonal PCB soldered to the motherboard. Pretty cool, I guess this means we could see MODE being used for other CD bases machines in the future.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

New PS1 support is pretty cool even if it requires console modification. The PS1 library is way bigger than those of the Dreamcast and Saturn combined, so perfect accuracy probably will not be achieved for a long time if ever, but it probably will be good enough relative to the alternatives.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Gunstar wrote:It requires an additonal PCB soldered to the motherboard. Pretty cool, I guess this means we could see MODE being used for other CD bases machines in the future.
I wonder if it simply requires soldering or if requires cutting traces like the PSIO's switch board; and, if it does require cutting traces, if they're the same ones as the PSIO switch board.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

nmalinoski wrote:
Gunstar wrote:It requires an additonal PCB soldered to the motherboard. Pretty cool, I guess this means we could see MODE being used for other CD bases machines in the future.
I wonder if it simply requires soldering or if requires cutting traces like the PSIO's switch board; and, if it does require cutting traces, if they're the same ones as the PSIO switch board.
I read speculation that it's the exact same install method as the X Station (pin lifts and soldering).
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Gunstar wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
I read speculation that it's the exact same install method as the X Station (pin lifts and soldering).
There's also a cap removal and jumper wire to install. But yeah, it's going to be similar to the X-station. Only way to bypass the integrated on-board drive controller. Unfortunately no PS1 ODE will ever be plug-n-play due to the integrated circuits.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

For those who use this mode in a Dreamcast. How hot does the DC get? I'm assuming combined with the Pico and a Noctua fan it should stay cool no?
elgarlic

Post by elgarlic »

Taiyaki wrote:For those who use this mode in a Dreamcast. How hot does the DC get? I'm assuming combined with the Pico and a Noctua fan it should stay cool no?
I use it in a stock Dreamcast and haven't had any issues.

From what (little) I understand, the MODE properly deals with the 12v line properly and doesn't overheat the console the way GDEmu can. So, no need to gut your PSU for a Pico PSU if you haven't already.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

elgarlic wrote:From what (little) I understand, the MODE properly deals with the 12v line properly and doesn't overheat the console the way GDEmu can. So, no need to gut your PSU for a Pico PSU if you haven't already.
the 12v line issue can also be easily solved by just inserting a resistor on the original PSU, I forget the needed specs for the resistor though.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

elgarlic wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:For those who use this mode in a Dreamcast. How hot does the DC get? I'm assuming combined with the Pico and a Noctua fan it should stay cool no?
I use it in a stock Dreamcast and haven't had any issues.

From what (little) I understand, the MODE properly deals with the 12v line properly and doesn't overheat the console the way GDEmu can. So, no need to gut your PSU for a Pico PSU if you haven't already.
Did you do the Noctua mode though?

Thanks for sharing. I might just stick to the Noctua then. I do have a spare set for the Picopsu but if it's not going to be of any benefit I'll just hold on to it.
Robothug

Post by Robothug »

I'm sure my question has been talked about...i just can't find it.

Idk how to save using the MODE for Dreamcast.
I'm using the controller "Brook" controller adapter so I can avoid the terrible DC pad.
It only has 100 MBs or something, and I dont know how to access the memory.

I thought the games I save would be save on the Hard drive?
It is 500GBs.
The Cheap Man always ends up paying twice.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I've seen others on Reddit claim you can't save on the MODE, yet some also play Shenmue, so I doubt that to be the case. Doesn't it still work with VMU's hooked up? Just leave a second controller plugged in with a VMU maybe?