SyncSlayer II - SCART to VGA Adapter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Chipnetics

SyncSlayer II - SCART to VGA Adapter

Post by Chipnetics »

Hi All!

I'm the creator of the original SyncSlayer that was sold on Tindie for a year or so. I just wanted to let everyone know I just released a revised version - the SyncSlayer II - after a long hiatus. 8)

There are some improved design points - but the biggest change is moving away from the Texas Instruments LMH1980, to the Renesas ISL59885.

This revised board design also has pin jumpers to toggle between TTL and 75ohm sync so you get the best of both worlds. I also moved away from an on/off toggle switch, and moved to a dedicated barrel connector for power (no console supplied power anymore). Other than that, most things are the same.... reduced component count is always nice! :D
  • Renesas ISL59885 sync separator and cleaner
  • 15Khz RGB output with clean sync signals for HSYNC, VSYNC and CSYNC
  • Switch between true ‘HSync’ or ‘Csync as Hsync’ via pin jumper
  • Switch between TTL and 75ohm terminated sync signals via pin jumper
  • Power indicator LED light
  • High quality RCA left & right audio connector
  • Euro-style screw down terminals for breakout connector
  • Amphenol Female D-Sub (VGA) connector
  • 3mm black acrylic bottom and clear acrylic top
  • High quality 5V power supply (device is always on)
Tindie link https://www.tindie.com/products/Chipnet ... a-adapter/

Let me know what you all think! I actually sat on this project for almost a year and figured it was best to push hard for a week and nail it out. Thanks for all your patience! :mrgreen:
kitty666cats

Re: SyncSlayer II - SCART to VGA Adapter

Post by kitty666cats »

Looks dope! 2020 seems to be quite a busy year for SCART/DE-15 gadgets, which is awesome! Maybe someday in a hopeful future all the kiddos will be RGB modding old CRTs with extreme ease and going with DE-15 + RCA audio as their connector of choice. My relationship with SCART is definitely love/hate, haha :P

I'd been curious about your original SyncSlayer, I was well-aware of it and quite bummed that such a nice-looking unit seemed to be RIP'd. I'm waiting on some glorious tax return $$$ at the moment, but I may pick one of these up soon :) Are you planning on keeping stock relatively regular, depending on its popularity?

Mike Chi's new designs look neat, SCART2DVI (I'll count it) rocks, Sync Strike is a classic... looking forward to more stuff that should be coming soon! Have you guys seen this guy from Poland's neat, simple little design that seems primarily designed for the GBS8200?
Image https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-GBS-8 ... 2797616350
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

all the cool kids been using DE-15
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

maxtherabbit wrote:all the cool kids been using DE-15
Someday DE-15 will take over and cleanse the retro world from the scourge that is SCART, a sad reminder of the ignorant days when we thought it the only way to get RGB from our old systems!
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I'd also be up for one of these if it had DE-15 (or RCA RGBS) input.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

^ Secret prototype unit, shhh! xD naw, this is just some monstrosity I made for laughs. The box it's coming out of does have a sync separator though, made me think of this SyncSlayer

My Coronavirus bailout came today, I very well may take the plunge on the new 'Slayer. Gonna mull it over tonight!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

tower of horror!

I'm jealous you got your trumbux already, I don't use direct deposit so I'm going to get them probably never
strygo

Post by strygo »

maxtherabbit wrote:I'm jealous you got your trumbux already, I don't use direct deposit so I'm going to get them probably never
Be sure to visit https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/ it will let you know if you need to enter your details (and you can enter them).
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Hi all, thanks for the support! I know there's a lot of variations of this stuff out there now - but nice to see interest is there :)

I agree SCART needs to be purged from earth; I don't even use SCART in my own setups, everything is 15-pin DSUB. :D
strygo

Post by strygo »

8bitgasm wrote:Hi all, thanks for the support! I know there's a lot of variations of this stuff out there now - but nice to see interest is there :)

I agree SCART needs to be purged from earth; I don't even use SCART in my own setups, everything is 15-pin DSUB. :D
I've been pretty satisfied with a Sync Strike for a few years now. Are there any benefits with the Sync Slayer II over the SS? I'm genuinely curious if it's worth an upgrade for someone like me.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

strygo wrote:
8bitgasm wrote:Hi all, thanks for the support! I know there's a lot of variations of this stuff out there now - but nice to see interest is there :)

I've been pretty satisfied with a Sync Strike for a few years now. Are there any benefits with the Sync Slayer II over the SS? I'm genuinely curious if it's worth an upgrade for someone like me.
It supports more types of sync, wider compatibility basically. Also the sync stripper chip is way better than an LM1881!
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Pretty much the above :) There's a bit of jitter on the first several scanlines with the LM1881 (I saw it on my projector and a native 240p display), I not longer saw it when I used the ISL59885. Probably the biggest benefit though is true Hsync and the ability to switch between TTL and 75ohm sync signals.. The pin jumper will route sync through a 470ohm resistor if your display is not TTL. The LM1881 on the other hand only will support 75ohm sync displays.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

To be honest, I wanted to buy a SyncSlayer just a month ago, but it was sold out on Tindie. I stopped using Scart, and switched back to JP21. Your SyncSlayer seems to serve the same purpose as the Micomsoft XSync-1, which I have been looking to buy for a long time. If anyone knows where I can find an XSync-1, please let me know. I would love to buy one. I think the XSync-1 does the same thing as the SyncSlayer, but for JP21 instead of Scart.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Hello, the SyncSlayer is currently in stock on Tindie if still interested :)
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

It would be nice to get one, and I’m glad he made a revision. I just wish that he could make a SyncSlayer that works with JP21 instead.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Any chance on the price lowering on future runs? It's totally rad and I know parts ain't cheap, just curious.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

XSync-1 wrote:It would be nice to get one, and I’m glad he made a revision. I just wish that he could make a SyncSlayer that works with JP21 instead.
Next time I order boards I'll do a run of 10 qty of JP21 layout. I don't think the demand is too high, but it's a minor schematic change, so no issues.

I'll drop a message in couple weeks.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

8bitgasm wrote:Next time I order boards I'll do a run of 10 qty of JP21 layout. I don't think the demand is too high, but it's a minor schematic change, so no issues.

I'll drop a message in couple weeks.
If you ever consider doing a small run of these with DE-15 connector on the input side please let us know also, assuming it's doable given the board design. I for one would like to add a good sync stripper to my DE-15 setup.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

8bitgasm wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:It would be nice to get one, and I’m glad he made a revision. I just wish that he could make a SyncSlayer that works with JP21 instead.
Next time I order boards I'll do a run of 10 qty of JP21 layout. I don't think the demand is too high, but it's a minor schematic change, so no issues.
Nice to see support for JP21, I'll be sure to order one.
armitage

Post by armitage »

Hi, I ordered one of these a while back to use with a variety of old 16 bit era systems and RGB monitors. Had a couple of questions I've been meaning to ask.

1) Does the csync get put out on the hd15 connector, or just the terminal block?

edit: to answer my own question, no, there is no dedicated pin for csync on the hd15 connector (unless you jumper csync as hsync)

2) The device works great with one of my monitors when used with an Atari ST for example, but when I connect up an Apple IIgs, I get this:

The Apple works fine when directly connected to other monitors and it's been completely recapped.

Any ideas? Thanks!
armitage

Post by armitage »

Just a small update, I made a converter cable that hangs off the end of the 1902 monitor's db9 RGB cable and converts it to a DIN6 cable for my 1084S just as a way to verify that the SCART cable, SS2, and db6 cable were all good. As expected, the picture is perfectly fine on the 1084S, so that tells me there's no problem with anything in the chain. I guess the 1902 monitor just doesn't like the signal coming from the IIgs even though it works with every other device I throw at it. Still open to ideas if there's a way to address this. Thanks!
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

I think I just got the last one on Tindie :D

Is there any actual functional difference to the ISL59885? Or is LMH1980 just EOL?
strygo

Post by strygo »

I just picked up one of these. I have been interested in its ability to properly output TTL vsync/hsync. The bulk of my setup uses SCART, but until now I have used a Sync Strike to route these RGB signals to an Extron MVX (DB-15 style) switch. This then routes to a Sony PVM and and a ViewSonic PC CRT. I also recently routed this switch to the AV3 port of the OSSC. The MVX is a bit of an oddity - it doesn't convert any signals, but it does normalize their voltages, so it always outputs TTL level sync, even for RGBS signals. So until now, I've been able to use RGBS into the AV3 port. I wanted to use RGBHV to see if it would address compatibility issues I've been having with 720p Xbox content.

Problem #1: Initially, switching the Sync Slayer to TTL H/V, the signal was initially too dark on the PVM. I was able to correct this by adjusting the Y clamp (as I had done before here). So far so good.

Problem #2: When using TTL H/V to the OSSC for 480p and 720p (think Xbox, GameCube, PS2) over RGBHV to AV3, I couldn't get the picture to sync. So my primary use case is hitting a problem. I'm wondering if the OSSC might have a setting that can be tweaked similar to the PVM to get the desired results. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Problem #3: I then switched the SSII to RGBS (both TTL and not) and using RGBS to AV3 ran into different sync problems. With the same setup and the Sync Strike, I haven't had these issues. Would this alternate chip used in the SSII necessitate timing tweaks in the OSSC?

I'm hoping these issues can be resolved through some tweaking to the sync settings on the OSSC.
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

This looks like what I need to connect my consoles to my tri sync monitor with vga input. It says it outputs a 15kHz signal which is great for most of my consoles, but what about those that can do 480p, do I need something else?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Rikrok wrote:This looks like what I need to connect my consoles to my tri sync monitor with vga input. It says it outputs a 15kHz signal which is great for most of my consoles, but what about those that can do 480p, do I need something else?
https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product ... a-adapter/

Unless you *specifically* need RGBHV (most CRT monitors will take RGBS/csync on the Hsync pin, pin 13 of the VGA connector) then this is probably the most affordable option out there. For 480p it really depends which consoles... probably either a component to VGA transcoder or a HDMI to VGA (non-scaling!)
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Rikrok wrote:This looks like what I need to connect my consoles to my tri sync monitor with vga input. It says it outputs a 15kHz signal which is great for most of my consoles, but what about those that can do 480p, do I need something else?
I believe I was able to send a 480p signal from my PS2 (SOG disabled) through it and it still worked.
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

Thanks kitty666cats and djc5166. I'll try the SCART2VGA first.

FYI the 480p capable consoles are the original Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast, all using Retro Gaming Cables scart cables. The Dreamcast cable has the 480p/576i switch, and I don't know if the Xbox and PS2 naturally let you select 480p without using a component cable but UnleashX and OPL have the option there. Them and everything else are hooked up with gscartsw's.

My monitor's input specs..

kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Rikrok wrote:Thanks kitty666cats and djc5166. I'll try the SCART2VGA first.

FYI the 480p capable consoles are the original Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast, all using Retro Gaming Cables scart cables. The Dreamcast cable has the 480p/576i switch, and I don't know if the Xbox and PS2 naturally let you select 480p without using a component cable but UnleashX and OPL have the option there. Them and everything else are hooked up with gscartsw's.

My monitor's input specs..

Looks like you should most likely be fine, then... if you continue to run into issues with the Xbox and PS2 you could always look into a component to VGA transcoder (from linuxbot3000 on eBay for instance, they make brand new ones). Would be helpful if you get a Wii as well.

More importantly - what monitor is this? I hope to find a 15-31+ kHz PC CRT that doesn't cost an arm and a leg one of these days :)

I do have this, so I shouldn't complain much - just would be nice if it also had 24kHz support and did all the modes on the same connector, heh

http://mikejmoffitt.com/articles/0051-nettv-rgb.html
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

kitty666cats wrote:
Looks like you should most likely be fine, then... if you continue to run into issues with the Xbox and PS2 you could always look into a component to VGA transcoder (from linuxbot3000 on eBay for instance, they make brand new ones). Would be helpful if you get a Wii as well.

More importantly - what monitor is this? I hope to find a 15-31+ kHz PC CRT that doesn't cost an arm and a leg one of these days :)

I do have this, so I shouldn't complain much - just would be nice if it also had 24kHz support and did all the modes on the same connector, heh

It's a Wells Gardner D9400 taken from a Time Crisis 3 cabinet. Being an arcade monitor it's certainly more work getting it into my (mainly console based) setup, the biggest thing will be getting a transparent acrylic case made for it. All those video modes are handy, especially as I would like House of the Dead board among others, that uses 24kHz.

Thanks for the linuxbot3000 recommendation, and it looks like you've done pretty well with your screen!
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Rikrok wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:

It's a Wells Gardner D9400 taken from a Time Crisis 3 cabinet. Being an arcade monitor it's certainly more work getting it into my (mainly console based) setup, the biggest thing will be getting a transparent acrylic case made for it. All those video modes are handy, especially as I would like House of the Dead board among others, that uses 24kHz.

Thanks for the linuxbot3000 recommendation, and it looks like you've done pretty well with your screen!
That link is not mine, it is actually from someone else who posts here! I did the mod in the link, but with 4 BNC connectors instead :)