My New Mitsubishi Megaview XC-3315C! 33" Multisync Monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
aaronmjr

My New Mitsubishi Megaview XC-3315C! 33" Multisync Monitor

Post by aaronmjr »

Hey Guys! I picked up a Mitsubishi Megaview XC-3315C the other day! I've had lots of different monitors over the years, but never a Mitsubishi Megaview! For those who don't know the details of this one, besides being 33" (32.1" viewable?) it's multiformat, handling 15khz/24khz/31khz via BNC, and has another RGB input for some mid 90s apple standard along with composite and s-video. It seems to run pretty well and be in good cosmetic shape. I'm not real picky on geometry but this is fairly square, and I don't see any crazy barrel distortion while scrolling. Corners could use some strip work. This has the typical narrow h-width during 480p+ which can be fixed via sub width as well. Overall it seems like a nice set! I'm on the lookout for a service manual, and a remote if anyone has any leads, or knows the remote's part#! Here are some photos from when I picked it up, testing with a JVC X'Eye, NES, PC etc.

Also, has no-one made a Mitsubishi thread, similar to the NEC XM/XP thread? I couldn't find anything.

FinalBaton

Re: My New Mitsubishi Megaview XC-3315C! 33" Multisync Monit

Post by FinalBaton »

That looks really good. grats

Part of me kinda miss the NEC XM-37+. But there's no way I could have moved it upstairs of my new 2nd floor apartment with narrow staircase. Nor afford storage for several years.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

What a monstrous beast. Where did you find it and how much did you have to give??
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

FinalBaton wrote:That looks really good. grats

Part of me kinda miss the NEC XM-37+. But there's no way I could have moved it upstairs of my new 2nd floor apartment with narrow staircase. Nor afford storage for several years.
Yeah space is definitely a consideration with something like this.

Josh128 wrote:What a monstrous beast. Where did you find it and how much did you have to give??
It's a great size! Bigger than my 29s, but still small enough where my girlfriend and I moved it without any issues. Found on facebook marketplace. Under $500. :)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I've owned the Megaview XC-3730C for a while. It's in reasonable shape but the bottom left corner in particular seems to be distorted, especially at > 480p resolutions. I'm hoping one day to get my good friend Bas from BetaGamma to come look at it but that's of course out of the question right now.

I really like the monitor and it's been super useful to have something to compare OSSC with. Guess what I was right, those super sharp optimised modes don't look like a CRT :mrgreen:

There's not much in it, although of course the Megaview handles 240p/480i transitions just fine, but I do tend to come back to the CRT for 240p more often than not. I guess that's kind of daft thing to say for someone who's made a living out of selling converters etc specifically to avoid having to have a huge CRT in your setup :D

I've tried all sorts on it so far

240p looks awesome on it.
24khz (via Groovymame) looks awesome on it
480p looks great - I actually had a lot of fun running old Flash games through this, adding scanlines with the OSSC then out to the Megaview, some looked awesome
> 480p looks ok but blurrier than I expected, I suspect the monitor has some issues with convergence that show up a lot more at higher resolution.
480i looks... just weird though... it's like it doesn't flicker but has these scanlines, that come and go (more likely due to my eyes/brain than what's actually happening). I set my Blu-ray player to deinterlace DVDs then use the VP50 to do 24khz to 48khz conversion before watching on the monitor (since it doesn't sync as low as 24p).

it's so heavy the thought of moving it actually terrifies me. When I bought it the seller gave me the measurements outside the flight case, inside the case it wouldn't even fit through the door :roll:
This has the typical narrow h-width during 480p+ which can be fixed via sub width as well.
Can you elaborate? Mine does this but I've no idea how to fix it.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

BuckoA51 wrote:480i looks... just weird though... it's like it doesn't flicker but has these scanlines, that come and go (more likely due to my eyes/brain than what's actually happening).
What you're explaining is something I've noticed, and seen people talk about with regards to 480i on Multiync sets. It's almost like there are sets of blank lines when in interlaced mode. My XM29s do it as well. My Life in Gaming mentions it here:

https://youtu.be/brMW6KFue-I?t=9m56s

"The Sony 20L5 is one of our favorites due to being able to display 480p, 720p, and 1080i. However, when running in 480i, we noticed that the 20L5 has blank gaps between pairs of fields, perhaps due to its HD capabilities. It still looks great overall of course, but a much more basic sort of PVM, such as the 20L2MD, actually displays 480i a little more truly to the intent, with no noticeable gaps between fields. This is my preferred sort of CRT for most PS2 games."

BuckoA51 wrote:Can you elaborate? Mine does this but I've no idea how to fix it.
It's talked about here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65275&hilit=mitsubishi
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

High TVL equals thick 240p scanlines, that also means thick 480i flickering scanlines.
But yea what a beast, the largest multisync monitor I've ever seen was the XM29. Didnt even know Mitsubishi made these kinds of monitors.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I recently picked up a 37" Mitsubishi XC-3725c.

It upscales everything 15k. I have not had a chance to check screen lag against my other CRT sets.
It has low hours but a dull picture, I'm hoping a recap will bring it back to life.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

aaronmjr wrote:What you're explaining is something I've noticed, and seen people talk about with regards to 480i on Multiync sets. It's almost like there are sets of blank lines when in interlaced mode. My XM29s do it as well. My Life in Gaming mentions it here:

"The Sony 20L5 is one of our favorites due to being able to display 480p, 720p, and 1080i. However, when running in 480i, we noticed that the 20L5 has blank gaps between pairs of fields, perhaps due to its HD capabilities. It still looks great overall of course, but a much more basic sort of PVM, such as the 20L2MD, actually displays 480i a little more truly to the intent, with no noticeable gaps between fields. This is my preferred sort of CRT for most PS2 games."
There's a workaround for this, on Sony monitors at least you can adjust the sub contrast to significantly reduce the thickness of the blank lines both in 240p and 480i, especially for bright areas of the picture. IMO this doesn't really affect the picture calibration, just makes it a bit brighter but preserves contrast. Maybe the Mitsubishi's have something similar.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

tongshadow wrote:High TVL equals thick 240p scanlines, that also means thick 480i flickering scanlines.
But yea what a beast, the largest multisync monitor I've ever seen was the XM29. Didnt even know Mitsubishi made these kinds of monitors.
I agree about the thickness of scanlines with higher TVL, but this is different. My XM29s are 600TVL, which is sort of middle of the road, but this phenomenon doesn't even exist on my 800TVL PVM20M4U which was single format. So this seems to be related to being a multisync monitor. Yes! The Mitsubishis definitely fly under the radar. From what I hear the 29" Mitsubishi and 37" Mitsubishi are near duplicates of the NEC XM29 and NEC XM37 just different case designs and I/O panels. So far that's been true with this one as well. The picture quality and tube on this is almost indistinguishable from my NEC monitors.
Syntax wrote:I recently picked up a 37" Mitsubishi XC-3725c.

It upscales everything 15k. I have not had a chance to check screen lag against my other CRT sets.
It has low hours but a dull picture, I'm hoping a recap will bring it back to life.
What do you mean it upscales to 15k?

fernan1234 wrote:
aaronmjr wrote:What you're explaining is something I've noticed, and seen people talk about with regards to 480i on Multiync sets. It's almost like there are sets of blank lines when in interlaced mode. My XM29s do it as well. My Life in Gaming mentions it here:

There's a workaround for this, on Sony monitors at least you can adjust the sub contrast to significantly reduce the thickness of the blank lines both in 240p and 480i, especially for bright areas of the picture. IMO this doesn't really affect the picture calibration, just makes it a bit brighter but preserves contrast. Maybe the Mitsubishi's have something similar.
Interesting! It personally has never bothered me, and to me at least it tends to make stuff like s-video Laserdiscs look sharper so I probably won't pursue a "fix". :P
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

It upscales anything under 31.5k with an internal digital scan converter, can accept up to 64k. 768 TVL
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Some of the NEC monitors do that too, my friend in Nottingham had one, I remember helping him move it, that was quite a day for a wimp like me :lol:

Even with the upscale 240p still looks pretty nice on them, even better with something like an OSSC and scanlines added. He also found 480i worked well with a RetroTINK set to smooth mode. Worth experimenting with especially if you have the converters on hand.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page