PC to SDTV Component

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ArcadiusMaximus

PC to SDTV Component

Post by ArcadiusMaximus »

Hello All,

I have been trying to connect my PC to my SDTV I am using for my monitor, but I'm running into an issue I cant seem to solve. As far as my setup goes I have a windows 7 PC with a GTX 780 HDMI out to a cheap HDMI to Component converter into my Sansui Tv's ( very picky) component input. The input will only accept a 480i signal and will only sync at 29/30 hz. Using the Nvidia control panel I was able to set up a 720 x 480i resolution at 29/30Hz. Then I matched this setting in windows an was able to display a picture (all be it a massively over scanned picture). Great Success ! Not really...

The issue however is when I restart the PC my TV refuses to sync despite still being set to 30hz refresh rate in both windows and Nvidia control panel (verified using remote connect). If I remote connect to my PC and change the refresh rate to 60hz, save, then change it back to 30hz, the picture comes up. Has anyone ever experienced this before? What could be causing the display to not sync unless forced via manually refresh switching?

I have tried using CRU, but that doesn't seem to help. I am really at a loss here as I feel like I have tried every setting to no avail. I appreciate any help or insight, Thanks !

Side note : I'm using such a beefy card because I am running demul/naomi arcade which need a little more power to run full speed.
strayan

Re: PC to SDTV Component

Post by strayan »

Try pulling the green luma cable out of the TV and plugging it back in once everything is on.
ArcadiusMaximus

Post by ArcadiusMaximus »

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried pulling the green connector on both the TV and the transcoder, but did not auto resync.

So did some fiddling in the BIOS. I set the onboard video to Primary and when the PC rebooted I got an un-synced, pink / purple screen for a few seconds before I lost signal again. So I got further, however Windows doesn't seem to like the 29/30hz signal..
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

I solved the PC to SDTV issue by using an outboard scan converter. I use the Extron VSC-100. I send it video from my PC over VGA. It works with any input resolution up to XGA, although I get the most stable output by sending a 60Hz signal. VGA goes in, composite, svideo, and 15KHzRGB come out. I use the svideo out in my setup and it looks better than composite from an RPi (which is quite good). Other models from extron and Kramer will output component as well.

This means that you do not have to worry about exotic display settings on your computer, just make sure to set refresh to 60Hz.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but while your output is now 15khz, it's 480i, not 240p.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Fudoh wrote:but while your output is now 15khz, it's 480i, not 240p.
And will be downscaling whatever resolution you input to that.

A better quality option is to look into crt_emudriver and a 1:1 RGB to Component converter. It's a rabbithole, but one that's worth going down, IMO.