Gameboy Repair

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
austin532

Gameboy Repair

Post by austin532 »

So I have an original Gameboy but a good 1/4 of the right side of the screen is missing. I tried the soldering iron trick as that usually helps but no luck. Any ideas?
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
it290

Re: Gameboy Repair

Post by it290 »

That trick is more of an art than a science for sure. Did you do it while it was on? I think that's essential to get it just right. If you can't conjure those columns back to life that way, I doubt you're going to have much luck outside of swapping out the screen altogether...
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Indeed, you need to have it tuned on while you are doing it. It also takes A LOT of time, way more than I was expecting since you don't want to just hold the iron there for long periods of time. I was able to restore my gameboy to it's original condition with all the lines. Also did some mods to it like the backlight and bivert mod. Not to shabby for something that was rotting away at a thrift store.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Yes, I did it with it on. I've done it before in the past so I know how to do it. Still no luck. Bad ribbon cable maybe?
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
it290

Post by it290 »

Could be that you've just worn it down enough that the contacts are no longer good. Might be possible to repair those traces but probably wayyy more trouble than it's worth...
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.