N64 Ultra HDMI Problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Flashman

N64 Ultra HDMI Problems

Post by Flashman »

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone more technically minded can help me here -

About 1.5 years ago I purchased a ready modded Ultra HDMI N64 from a guy on eBay who was modding them to order. I had it plugged into my main 4K TV with no problems for a good while - the only thing I noticed was that now and then during gameplay the picture would cut out for a second or two and then recover. I put this down to the mini HDMI to HDMI cable the console came with not being the best quality, however I didn’t have another one to replace it with and always meant to get round to buying another from amazon.

I’ve had the N64 in storage a little while and recently hooked it up again, now I’m finding a much bigger problem - after about 30 seconds of gameplay the picture cuts out and never recovers - the sound is still there, but all I’m getting is a black screen. I ordered another mini HDMI off amazon which arrived today, and for a minute I breathed a sigh of relief as it appeared to have worked, I settled down to play some perfect dark, and if the same thing didn’t happen again, so it wasn’t the cable.

Anyone think of anything obvious I’m doing wrong? I suspect it’s simply the mod was never fitted correctly in the first place, the picture cutting out was a sign of trouble I never acted on, and after working a while it’s finally died. Unfortunately I’m well past the point of any possible return on eBay, so I think I’m stuck with a £300 hunk of plastic, or trying to find someone in the U.K. who services these things.
Flashman

Re: N64 Ultra HDMI Problems

Post by Flashman »

Scratch this - I don’t know what made me do it, but for some reason I decided to remove and reinsert the expansion pack - for some reason this seems to have fixed the issue touch wood, had an hours play and everything seems fine :D fingers crossed.