How to adjust PVMs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
awbacon

How to adjust PVMs

Post by awbacon »

Normally I leave any videos I put here in one thread, but since this should be helpful to a decent amount of people I left it in hardware.

https://youtu.be/2DM4cz_rZXw

Since I get questions every time I show my PVM in a video, I made this. Basic service menu adjustments for your PVM
Guspaz

Re: How to adjust PVMs

Post by Guspaz »

My biggest annoyance with my L2 PVM is that certain critical settings are not stored in NVRAM. For example, there's some sort of LPF on YPbPr input that causes a sort of oversharpening effect, ringing and bleed. There's an option to turn it off in the service menu, SIGNAL->DECODER COLOR->DEC LPF. The setting is one of the few that is not saved. It automatically turns on any time you switch to the YPbPr input, or change the colour mode to YPbPr, or power cycle the monitor while it's in YPbPr mode. You can go into the service menu and disable it, and it will stay disabled until you do any of those things. It's infuriating.

There's also an option that fixes the flickering menu on the L2 if you adjust the value. ENGINEER (3/3)->MENU DOTCLOCK. It's also not saved. My workaround was to just start the geometry calibration over from the start, and end up with slightly different values that didn't cause the problem to occur.

There's a possible error in the video, though: it says to switch inputs to change the settings if you have the menu flashing issue, but certain settings are per-input. Or per-input-type. It's not quite clear. It mostly seems to be NTSC decoding stuff so it may not actually matter for most users, because you'd never need to change those for the RGB input.
Last edited by Guspaz on Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
awbacon

Re: How to adjust PVMs

Post by awbacon »

The flickering is annoying af on the menu. On mine some adjustments carry over from input to input, but switching at least helps you identify where X setting is, so you can do it half blind when you switch back