VGA2SCART and VGA2NTSC - RGBS, S-Video and Composite output

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bonzo.bits

Re: VGA2SCART and VGA2NTSC - RGBS, S-Video and Composite out

Post by bonzo.bits »

@unmaker Could I grab a kit for the VGA2SCART?
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Wish this outputted YPbPr.
DesktopDynamite

Post by DesktopDynamite »

Hello all, newbie here, just registered.

Today arrived the VGA2SCART assembled kit from ebay.

My intention is to connect my PC with a capable ATI Radeon card [ATI Radeon 6350HD low-profile] to a 29 inch Sony Trinitron TV.

I have managed to do so by using the arcade express VGA to SCART cable [with USB plug for 5V/12V] incl. 3.5 audio jack.

My ATI radeon card outputs through a DVI port with a Y-type adapter allowing me to connect 2x VGA.

Like I said am pretty new to this.

I have installed a fresh Win8.1 OS installation + have just installed the CRU utility.

Should I keep using the CRT emudriver by Calamity or install the standard ATI Radeon Catalyst driver ?

Now what is next ?

Thanks in advance.
Pudjay1

Post by Pudjay1 »

Just a query really and to see if I’m using this bit of kit correctly.

My set up chain is as follows:

Console ie MD1 Jp NTSC > csync RGB Scart > Gscartsw 3.2 > VGA HD15 cable > vga2scart > RGB Scart > Sony Trinitron TV.

I get a flicker as if something is happening, but no picture. I tried out a different Scart lead to the tv and got the same result. There are a couple of switches on the Gscartsw, but they don’t seem to make a difference. I’m assuming the vga2scart is working ok and my Gscartsw works fine when I use the Scart output.

Where am I going wrong?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have the VGA2SCART board Retropgrades UK is selling and the board does NOT provide the correct switching voltage (or enough power) on the blanking pin, so technically the RGB output from from works fine, but TVs that require a "RGB switching signal" to be present won't work. As far as I recall you can put your Sony into RGB mode manually and then it should work.

I also have the Arcadeforge UMSA, which is basically the same device, but with its own power supply and there the switching works.
Guile

Post by Guile »

Greg2600 wrote:Wish this outputted YPbPr.
I second that, how difficult would it be to add something like that? The rgb2comp looks good but I don't have a scart setup, only component and vga.

With the ntsc output on this is there any screen tearing? I'm using an Extron vsc for downscaling to 480i and it's very good but has occasional screen tearing.
Pudjay1

Post by Pudjay1 »

Fudoh wrote:I have the VGA2SCART board Retropgrades UK is selling and the board does NOT provide the correct switching voltage (or enough power) on the blanking pin, so technically the RGB output from from works fine, but TVs that require a "RGB switching signal" to be present won't work. As far as I recall you can put your Sony into RGB mode manually and then it should work.

I also have the Arcadeforge UMSA, which is basically the same device, but with its own power supply and there the switching works.
Thanks for your reply Fudoh.

It is the Retro Ugrades version of the board that I purchased. I did manually select the AV output on my TV, but still no joy. I’m going to try my DC with a Toro VGA box incase the the VGA output on my Gscartsw 3.2 is faulty for some reason.

Also how should I have the switches on my GScartsw set up?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Selecting the AV input isn't the same as switching the TV into RGB mode, since the input will default to composite video only.

If you can work a soldering iron you can connect a battery to the blanking pin of your scart connection cable (+1,5V to pin 16). This way your AV input gets switched into RGB mode.
strayan

Post by strayan »

FYI Tim Worthington’s adapter works properly
Generates SCART status signals that put the TV into RGB mode when a valid sync signal is detected.
https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2 ... how_detail
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Here's my design. All it does is attenuate sync from VGA pin-13 through a 470R and provide blanking voltage by grabbing VGA's DDC power from pin 9 and running that through a 180R.

There is an optional footprint for a buck-boost converter that can make 12V for the aspect ratio control is desired.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

The Real Phoenix is making a version with headpins and DFO for arcade heads:
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

Is there another RGBHV to RGBs option coming? I thought I heard Bob making a reference to one coming.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

anexanhume wrote:Is there another RGBHV to RGBs option coming? I thought I heard Bob making a reference to one coming.
Yes, I have it here now and am testing. Still a few tiny tweaks needed, but so far so good!
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Hopefully it won't need external power. Would be nice to retire my Extron RGB interface without needing to fill another AC or USB port.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

fernan1234 wrote:Hopefully it won't need external power. Would be nice to retire my Extron RGB interface without needing to fill another AC or USB port.
Tested and works perfect. No external power needed. Safe to use with all "VGA" and "RGB" signals. More info coming soon, as soon as the case arrives...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I'm pretty happy that the VGA2SCART is a thing, because I have a consumer RGB crt and now thanks to that adapter I'll finally be able to connect TTL level gear to it. (yes I know I could make a DE-15 -> SCART cable with a resistor. but I prefer a readymade adapter solution like this)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If your TV requires the proper blanking signal to be present on Pin 16 in order to switch into RGB mode in the first place, then you might have to add a battery or an additional power source.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

oh good call, thanks for the heads up!

I'll investigate into that. It's the KV-25XBR with the floppy cable style input. I've only wired the pins that are in NakedArtur's guide in the 2nd pic below :

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Guile

Post by Guile »

I'm looking into getting 240p from a Dreamcast but the different modes and cables are confusing. Could I use the vga2ntsc with a standard vga cable to output scart or svideo 240p?

From what I've seen, a normal Dreamcast vga cable only does 31khz and you need a special one with a switch to get 15khz so I'm thinking it wouldn't work.

It looks like Dreamcast scart cables have the opposite problem that they are 15khz standard and you need a special one that can output 31khz, also with a switch.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm looking into getting 240p from a Dreamcast but the different modes and cables are confusing. Could I use the vga2ntsc with a standard vga cable to output scart or svideo 240p?
you need a VGA cable with a switch to toggle between 15 and 31khz output. Regular VGA cables block 15khz output and only output 31khz.
It looks like Dreamcast scart cables have the opposite problem that they are 15khz standard and you need a special one that can output 31khz, also with a switch.
a 15/31khz scart cable does already output in RGBS instead of RGBHV, so you wouldn't need an addtional VGA2SCART converter.

I ordered a VGA2NTSC board just today, so I'll try this one as well.
Guile

Post by Guile »

Fudoh wrote: a 15/31khz scart cable does already output in RGBS instead of RGBHV, so you wouldn't need an addtional VGA2SCART converter.

I ordered a VGA2NTSC board just today, so I'll try this one as well.
So the cheap Dreamcast scart cables only do 15khz? The only 15/31khz cables I can find are out of stock from retrogamingcables, retro-access, or thefoo83.

I think I'll look for the vga ones as it's a little more flexible for me.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

there are only so much 15khz-only titles on the system. The classic way is still to just have two cables around...