Faint horizontal noise with THS7316 N64 RGB mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
eliteshmupper

Faint horizontal noise with THS7316 N64 RGB mod

Post by eliteshmupper »

I have an N64 that I did the THS7316 mod on, 0.1µF cap and everything, and it works pretty well overall, but I have noticed that the image has some very faint horizontal noise/interference patterns that are only visible on darker hues. This is with an old CSYNC SNES cable from RGC, it is supposed to have a resistor inside the AV plug for attenuation which seems to be correct from what I can tell with my multimeter (470 ohms). There is no capacitor on the SCART end though, could this be the cause of the problem? I have also tested an original GC RGB cable and that one gives a much brighter, garish image that seems to have color crush.
Josh128

Re: Faint horizontal noise with THS7316 N64 RGB mod

Post by Josh128 »

eliteshmupper wrote:I have an N64 that I did the THS7316 mod on, 0.1µF cap and everything, and it works pretty well overall, but I have noticed that the image has some very faint horizontal noise/interference patterns that are only visible on darker hues. This is with an old CSYNC SNES cable from RGC, it is supposed to have a resistor inside the AV plug for attenuation which seems to be correct from what I can tell with my multimeter (470 ohms). There is no capacitor on the SCART end though, could this be the cause of the problem? I have also tested an original GC RGB cable and that one gives a much brighter, garish image that seems to have color crush.
Have you checked continuity from pin 3 on the multiout side to pin 20 on the scart side of the cable?
eliteshmupper

Re: Faint horizontal noise with THS7316 N64 RGB mod

Post by eliteshmupper »

It shows ~470 ohms resistance between those pins like I said.