Using the Gameboy Advance As a Controller Question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
teerazzler

Using the Gameboy Advance As a Controller Question

Post by teerazzler »

Hello, I am planning on using the Gameboy Advance (first model that uses two AA batteries) to plug into my Gamecube to use as a controller. I can't stand that tiny little D-pad on the Gamecube controller. I have not yet bought the Gameboy Advance or the link cable, but I am thinking it would be a good budget friendly and "authentic" way of playing my GBA games on my Gameboy Player. However, if I have to keep using AA batteries that just to keep it powered on to use as a dedicated controller, that is a complete deal breaker and I guess I will shell out the $125-175 for a Hori Gamecube controller.

Does anyone here know if the Gamecube powers the Gameboy Advance when it is plugged in through the link cable directly into the controller 1 port of the Gamecube, or does the Gameboy Advance use the AA batteries while you're using it as a controller? I have scoured the internet for an answer and I can't find one. If anyone knows here that would help me out greatly so I can save about $50-60! Thanks!
mamboFoxtrot

Re: Using the Gameboy Advance As a Controller Question

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I remember my GBA SP running out of batteries while using it as a controller for Four Swords Adventure, so I would guess the AA-powered models won't be powered by the Gamecube either

actually, I found a thread here confirming this
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/91 ... s/41271123

I guess if you REALLY wanted to, you could use the GBA's AC power adapter while playing :V
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Aw crap. Yeah, definitely won't be plugging the AC adapter into the Gameboy Advance while I use it as a controller :lol:

Ugh, I guess I will just have to shell out the dough for a Hori controller. I am aware of the affordable Gamecube adapter to plug in a SNES controller, but I am a weirdo and want the most authentic/licensed experience for my consoles and games.

Thank you very much though for helping me out! You saved me the money I will be using for the Hori controller.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

This probably won't be good enough for you, but cycling through some rechargeable Eneloops is not that bad.
Kez

Post by Kez »

There are also some rechargeable battery mods for the GBA.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Thank you for the suggestions, but that's just enough effort to have to put into it to make it too annoying to have to use as a dedicated controller. Worrying about if the power is going to go out whenever I want to pick up and play seems meh.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Thanks to Konsolkongen's thread on the assembler games forum I have modded a SNES pad with an Arduino. No more desiring that rare Hori pad!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Hey glad you like it :)

I've actually worked on a new version where you can switch between regular and an alternate button layout (Y=B, B=A) and d-pad/analog by holding down some button combos. You can also save the current config if you like.

Just haven't gotten around to setting up a github properly, but hopefully I can get that done very soon :)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Eneloops if you're using an AGB. No help there for the 101.

I just use SNES controllers, wired or wireless, using RaphNet adapters:

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/s ... /index.php

Combine it with the new 2.4 GHz 8bitdo controllers for a minimal latency wireless experience, or just use a real SNES controller.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Konsolkongen wrote:Hey glad you like it :)

I've actually worked on a new version where you can switch between regular and an alternate button layout (Y=B, B=A) and d-pad/analog by holding down some button combos. You can also save the current config if you like.

Just haven't gotten around to setting up a github properly, but hopefully I can get that done very soon :)
That sounds good, can't see your image!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Sorry about that. The Github was private. I have thrown together some basic information and it's up now:

https://github.com/Konsolkongen/Arduino ... n-GameCube
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Konsolkongen wrote:Sorry about that. The Github was private. I have thrown together some basic information and it's up now:

https://github.com/Konsolkongen/Arduino ... n-GameCube
Awesome, thanks for the link. I'll flash the Arduino with your upgraded coded when I have time. Great work on this, Konsolkongen!