GC VIDEO 3.0/ Limited HDMI Compatibility

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Murder Dog

GC VIDEO 3.0/ Limited HDMI Compatibility

Post by Murder Dog »

I've registered to these forums to ask anyone with good knowledge of HDMI capabilities to suggest a possible solution to making GC video boards more compatible with displays (Pluto board)

Please refer to this thread for a good background understanding:https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/issues/37

I'm trying to get my internal HDMI mod for my Gamecube to be compatible with a wider range of displays. After installing mine personally and playing around with the wiring a lot, I'm at the point where I'm trying to find any sort of converter or adapter would be suitable for this purpose.

According to ikorb he is suggesting either an HDMI splitter or possibly an upscaler could possibly make the signal coming from this board (Pluto-IIx XC3S200) actually display.

So far after installing this mod I've been extremely dissapointed as it seems it just doesn't actually work 100% of the time. I planned to take my cube to many different TVs at friends houses but I now believe that just probably isn't possible.

I don't know if this problem still lies within my soldering but I've redone it about 5 times now and I'm thinking the only other step beyond resoldering yet again is a shielded wire for that 54MHz clock signal as ikorb suggested on github.

If anyone is aware of a possible solution of a converter of some sort or anything it would be greatly appreciated. I'm very surprised there isn't more forum threads on this issue. I feel like its just me who has limited capabilities. Honestly thinking I should have just bought an HDMI adapter in the first place.. All I'm really asking is if an HDMI splitter or upscaler could make the signal from the Gamecube detect on more displays..

Any help is appreciated, Thank you!
Murder Dog

Re: GC VIDEO 3.0/ Limited HDMI Compatibility

Post by Murder Dog »

bump
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

A splitter/distribution amp likely would not fix any compatibility problems (possibly aside from HDCP issues).

A scaler, like the Framemeister, Extron DSC 301 HD (Or DSC HD-HD), or the upcoming OSSC Pro, would be able to perform framerate conversion, which would adapt whatever framerate is coming from the GCDual to a steady 59.94 or 60Hz, which should clear up any compatibility issues you're having.

What would be really nice, I think, is if we got a second generation of GCVideo boards that leveraged the development of HDMI mods for other consoles in the time since, such as the 960p and 960p-in-1080p-frame line-doubling modes and internet firmware update functionality we got with the DCHDMI.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

nmalinoski wrote:would be able to perform framerate conversion, which would adapt whatever framerate is coming from the GCDual to a steady 59.94 or 60Hz, which should clear up any compatibility issues you're having.
I don't think it's a framerate issue, 480i and 480p games on the Gamecube already run at 59.94Hz.
What would be really nice, I think, is if we got a second generation of GCVideo boards that leveraged the development of HDMI mods for other consoles in the time since, such as the 960p and 960p-in-1080p-frame line-doubling modes and internet firmware update functionality we got with the DCHDMI.
The code is open source, just build it ;)
Murder Dog

Post by Murder Dog »

Unseen wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:would be able to perform framerate conversion, which would adapt whatever framerate is coming from the GCDual to a steady 59.94 or 60Hz, which should clear up any compatibility issues you're having.
I don't think it's a framerate issue, 480i and 480p games on the Gamecube already run at 59.94Hz.
The code is open source, just build it ;)
Interesting, as Ikorb also mentioned on Github apparently this has nothing to do with HDCP, which I suspected was coming into play at first but apparently not. That's really as far as my knowledge goes
HDCP is not an issue here though - displays with an HDMI input are required to support it, but there is no requirement that everything has to be encrypted, GCVideo does not encrypt its output signal, so HDCP does not come into play.
Do you believe this issue just stands as is until there's maybe a new firmware released? I was looking for a cheap fix for this but don't think that'll be the case, maybe it's just time.

Thanks for contributing guys, anyone else who can collaborate please do! I know jack about displays!