Advice on getting a Dreamcast 240p signal for BVM D20

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zoopster

Advice on getting a Dreamcast 240p signal for BVM D20

Post by zoopster »

Hi,

I'm looking to get my Dreamcast 480i video signal converted to 240p for use on a BVM D20.

I've got two Extron RGBs both with DB-15 in (one with the DDSP switch) and was hoping to use one of them (or a Extron 580xi) to convert the 480i signal to 240p. So my question is what's the best way to get the 480i signal out of the dreamcast into the Extron RGB. Here are the cables I have:

1) DC standard VGA cable which only seems to send the 480p signal
2) Retro Access DC to SCART cable which can switch between 31lhz (480p) and 15lhz (480i)
3) Various VGA cables and M / F adapters

Thoughts?

Thanks
John
Overkill

Re: Advice on getting a Dreamcast 240p signal for BVM D20

Post by Overkill »

Hi,

I don't know if you will like the end result of that when you see it working... If you are picky with the image quality like I'am, you won't like it... And trust me, I already tried all those setups for pseudo 240 in the past.

If you want to go ahead, try to get an syncstrike, or a keene scart to VGA, or a home made way, to connect your "Retro Access DC to SCART" to the Extron in, with the switch on cable set to 480i. I can't remember which dipswitch have to be on/off on the Extron,but I think I remember the 580xi may work for that pseudo 240p. Check here in the forum the main thread for that.

If you forget all this, or try it and dislike, my sugestion for your setup would be just: Use that same cable, and use the switch of the cable on 480i with the DC games that support 240p, and use the switch on 480p and play all the rest of the games (most) on 480p on your hd monitor.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

Hi,

I am fairly fussy and I suspected it may not be worth the hassle! So I appreciate you saying that upfront.

My incoming monitor is a Sony BVM-20F1E which I believe doesn't support 480p. I'm actually moving from a D24 to free up some space (and cash!). Of course the beuaty of the D24 is that is does support 480p, 480i and 240p.

My other option is OSSC to a 4k TV so at least I have that too.

Appreciate the response and advice sharing.

Cheers
John
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Is the monitor you're intending to use a BVM-D20F1 like the subject and first post say or a BVM-20F1 like your latest post?

If you're connecting to a D20F1 then it definitely supports 480p and I'd recommend just setting your VGA cable to 480p. With that said, Dreamcast shifts the entire 480p picture to the right. If you're sharing inputs as part of a switched setup then I'd recommend running the Dreamcast through the Extron RGB with SERR enabled and DDSP disabled. Use the H-SHIFT knob to properly center the Dreamcast 480p to match a console that adheres to standard 480p (Wii, GameCube, or Xbox). If you're going to do this, sell your Retro Access cable and get a VGA cable from thefoo.83 on eBay since it'll more easily connect to your Extron RGB.

If you have a BVM-20F1 though, then just set your Retro Access cable to 480i, get an adapter if necessary, and enjoy.