Custom Sticks Thread!!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
emphatic

Re: Custom Sticks Thread!!

Post by emphatic »

Zapf wrote:I actually went and did this last night as I was having even more of a problem with directions sticking, and it worked! I had to get a second pair of hands tightening the plate as I held the microswitches in a position as far from the shaft as possible. Why the fuck are they not held in place at 2 points like every other stick? That seems dumb as hell.

I'm glad I dont have to find a dude to do some precision machining now =)
Really glad this was helpful. I've ordered some Seimitsu switches from Japan that I'm gonna try in my 500, and this time I'll possibly try to insert something behind the switches to really get the tight feel that only SUZO can provide, yet keeping everything balanced.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Glennicio

Post by Glennicio »

Hey guys, been lurking for a little while, thought I'd post a few of the sticks I've built..

This was a cheapie I picked up on ebay and threw an LS-32 and OBSF-30's in.

Scratch built case, JLW/Seimitsu buttons, hacked PSX pad.

This one is more a novelty than anything else, it's a modded audio mixer with happ buttons and using the stock stick from the first one I posted. The VU's are working, left one for the stick and right for all six buttons. Horrible to play on.

Ghetto stick I put together one afternoon when I was bored.
Schrodinger's cat

Post by Schrodinger's cat »

I like the idea behind the VU stick... pretty creative.
antares

Post by antares »

Not exactly a stick but I finished this today:

WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Awesome, Antares!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
antares

Post by antares »

Oh thanks. Next project: new X360 stick :)
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Hey, that's actually really nice. I think you could definitely make good use of an Arkanoid movestrip.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
antares

Post by antares »

Thanks. Yeah, but I think I'll stick to the DOJ one :)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Looks like a Seimitsu branded spinner to play Arkanoid properly, right? Quite a solid Japanese made spinner compared to them Happ spinners.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
antares

Post by antares »

Yeah, it's a brand new Seimitsu one. You can get 2 or 3 Arkanoid PCBs for the price of it :wink:
antares

Post by antares »

Here's my new X360 stick. I just watched the pics from monouchi's stick on the last page and now feel a little unworthy to post pics from my stick here but anyway:

The stick is a Seimitsu with octogonal restrictor. I can't believe how much better it feels than my old Sanwa.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Nice work again, antares. I have that artwork as a marquee for one of my EGRET II's, but I Photoshopped away that border. Did you build the box yourself, or what is it?
antares

Post by antares »

Yeah, I made the box, it's a simple wooden frame with thin wooden panels on top and bottom.
emphatic wrote:I have that artwork as a marquee for one of my EGRET II's, but I Photoshopped away that border.
Nice, if only I had known this before I could have used your version.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Yes, your stick is unworthy! lol :mrgreen:

I like your stick Antares and I like the artwork border. I like pink buttons too...If I had made a Mushi stick ive would have used pink buttons....mmmm, Mushi stick...
And you did the box yourself, I just cheated with a finished TE box.
antares

Post by antares »

A compliment from the stick-master, I feel honored :mrgreen:
General Martok

Post by General Martok »

monouchi wrote: I was really impressed first time I got my Suzo 500 and tested in a shmup (Mushi Futari)
I also bought a LS-32, LS-40 and LS-55 Seimitsu sticks but the Suzo 500 beat those easily.
So recently I found an old C64 stick (competition pro) and I was shocked : It was incredible precise and stiff with a short throw and beats my seimitsu stick easily !
Did some research and sure enough , they were made by Suzo.

I was wondering if I could rip that stick out somehow and use it in a agatec or hori case , as it's much smaller profile than the suzo 500 and should allow for an easier mod ?
Schrodinger's cat

Post by Schrodinger's cat »

There's a pic of the USB version of the stick with a clear case so you can see all of the wiring inside: http://images.play.com/covers/13496887x.jpg

It looks densely packed in there, but you can probably take the bottom half off and do a dual mod with the controller PCB of your choice. Though if the microswitches for the stick are seated on the bottom half, maybe what you can do instead is to cut the connector off and dual mod with the wires that way. You can drill holes in the plastic and mount it below the main plate of whatever joystick you'd be modding. If there's a will, there's probably a way.

Hopefully it will work out for you. Post pics when you're done!
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

antares wrote:Here's my new X360 stick. I just watched the pics from monouchi's stick on the last page and now feel a little unworthy to post pics from my stick here but anyway:
~Mushi stick pictures way too huge to repost~
The stick is a Seimitsu with octogonal restrictor. I can't believe how much better it feels than my old Sanwa.
Very nice, I like the 3rd button for the home clearly labeled. I had almost used that art for my stick as well, although with so little official Mushihime-sama art available, if the game were a bit more popular, there'd certainly be some overlap amongst all us shmuppers.
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

[quote="monouchi"]
Thanks to Elixir for the cave combat picture.

Imagequote]

May I ask you (or Elixer) where I could get a copy of that combat pic?
That stick is so god damn sexy.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I plan on making a Mad Catz stick (non-TE) look like this:

Just need to find a cheap stick for sale first.

Edit: Why does this forum make all pictures look so damn blurry? Right-click the image and choose "view" to see it as it should look.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Awesome!

And then you go with trans pink buttons that has pictures of the Gems in them, AND you make those dots around the stick light up when you press that direction! :mrgreen:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

monouchi wrote:Awesome!

And then you go with trans pink buttons that has pictures of the Gems in them, AND you make those dots around the stick light up when you press that direction! :mrgreen:
Trans pink buttons is a possibility for sure, but no LEDs for me, thanks. :D I'm too easily distracted. I just hope that the artwork mix of Mushihime-Sama and Mushihime Futari doesn't clash. I considered trying to create some sort of bullet pattern in the Ketsui vein for this, but it's just too complicated, and very hard to pull off to full effect. I also made some more artwork, as I plan on ordering a high quality CPO print from mamemarquees for this, and their big ass CPOs will easily fit a couple of prints. I could always sell them here. :)
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

emphatic wrote:I plan on making a Mad Catz stick (non-TE) look like this:

Just need to find a cheap stick for sale first.

Edit: Why does this forum make all pictures look so damn blurry? Right-click the image and choose "view" to see it as it should look.
Nice, I think that'd go well with some violet PS-14-KNs.
JUTMAN22

CUSTOM ARCADE STICKS!!

Post by JUTMAN22 »

Hi Guys,

I apologise in advance if there is all ready a topic for this (though I have searched and couldn't find anything). I am a stick builder and an avid shmup fan and wanted to show you some of my work (note; I am not selling ... all sticks below have already been sold) some of which is nicley themed!!! Please let me know what you think!! Cases are hand cratfted from hard maple, components vary (to each customer) Sanwa, Seimitsu ..., duel modded (for use on 360/PS3/PC/MAC plus SFC, Saturn, DC, PS incoming!) various LED mods. Hope you like and please comment!! Thanks!

KBZ

Re: CUSTOM ARCADE STICKS!!

Post by KBZ »

It's right on the front page of this Hardware Forum. Literally a few spots below this very thread.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6622

nice sticks though...
=/
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Absolutely fantastic work. I think I want 4 already.

I know these cost a bit, i've seen prices of similar sticks before. They are probably worth it though, just to complete a decent game room even. Problem for me is that they probably don't come in a box which makes storing them a bit of a pain, unless you have a dedicated bench for them.

Very very nice. I'll consider an order :mrgreen:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Merged JUTMAN22's post into this thread.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
JUTMAN22

Post by JUTMAN22 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Absolutely fantastic work. I think I want 4 already.

I know these cost a bit, i've seen prices of similar sticks before. They are probably worth it though, just to complete a decent game room even. Problem for me is that they probably don't come in a box which makes storing them a bit of a pain, unless you have a dedicated bench for them.

Very very nice. I'll consider an order :mrgreen:
Thank you for your kind words! They do complement a nice minimal/contemporary living/games room, my wife hates stuff like this, But I have one below the LED TV on a glass table lol!! They are great being multiformat too ..... SSF4 on PS3, then Ketsui or Mushi on the (Jap) 360! (then take up stairs for a little Hyper Duel on the Saturn and so on!!! you get the idea!) Watch this space for my latest batch (will be posting 5-6 new ones over the next 4-5 weeks)

Cost is normally an after thought on a custom, its more for the love and passion towards your hobby. I have always been fussy and never too pleased with (M)any retail sticks (with the odd exception) which lead me to making customs in the first place. I used it more as way of getting exactly what I wanted without skimping on costs nor compromise... kind of like a dream stick (of sorts) and fortunately others seem to like too so it turned into a bit of a hobby weekend job thingy!!
Last edited by JUTMAN22 on Mon May 17, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUTMAN22

Post by JUTMAN22 »

Ghegs wrote:Merged JUTMAN22's post into this thread.
Thank you very much for this ... and sorry for posting in wrong thread
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Currently I have agetec in this configuration -

DB-15 connector (Male on supergun side)
variation on NeoGeo pinout
designed for use w/neorichie's custom agetec

1- GROUND
2- Button 5 (CPS-II only)
3- COIN
4- Button 4 (CPS-II only)
5- Button 2
6- Right
7- Down
8- N/C
9- N/C
10- Button 6 (CPS-II) Button 4 (JAMMA)
11- Start
12- Button 3
13- Button 1
14- Left
15- Up

Custom Agetec button layout

-SUPERGUN-

[top row] 1 - 2 - 3
[bottom] 4 (CPS-II) 5 (CPS-II) 6(CPS-II)/4(NG-JAMMA)

-PSX-

[top] SQUARE - TRIANGLE - R1
[bottom] CIRCLE - X - L1

-SATURN+DC-

[top] X - Y - Z
[bottom] A - B - C

If you could build me 2 to that specification, i'd be very happy. I don't know how you would do it, but basically I'm using neo geo extension cables for my supergun. So somewhere a DB15 would need to be supported on top of all that other stuff yours do.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.