Custom Sticks Thread!!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Zapf

Re: Custom Sticks Thread!!

Post by Zapf »

I really like the height the stc is at now (just slightly lower that the top of the plexi), and the case height is actually quite reasonable (as much or less than the SE stick if I remember right). I think my man ecksnine could get this one fitted pretty well given some time. I looked at your site before, those custom shafts are neat. Theres someone on byoac who can get the 32mm suzo inductive, but I was hopin to find the 38mm.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

This was originally a 360 stick, but I added another PCB and also a neo-geo port.

It also has a small red LED added that lights up when any button or joystick input is made. It comes in handy for any trouble shooting ect.

Long story short I can now use it with:

PS3, 2, and 1
Gamecube, Wii
Saturn
Neo-Geo
Super Gun
DC
SNES
Mega Drive

I did cheat a bit with wii, dc, and PS3 adapters

I also cut a sheet of plexi to lay over the control panel. The original art was pressed onto a thin sheet of plastic. If i ever wanted to change it I'd have to remove the plastic and that would have left nothing but the metal control panel. So instead of being cheap with laminated paper for new art I just cut a sheet of plexi to overlay it so I could just print any art I wanted and lay it under the plexi.

I hate those extra 2 buttons so I didn't bother cutting them and used photoshop to fill in the original art's 2 extra holes ect. I like the original art and will keep it for now. I may do a thunder force underlay for the art later or something.

Best thing is that it was totally free. The stick arrived at the store bust in the back. Right where those extra controller ports are along with the start and select buttons.... it had been smashed via a fork lift. Madcatz payed the store for the busted stick and did not want it back.

I just patched is up with some super glue, bondo, and vinyl die...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Strider77 wrote:Best thing is that it was totally free.
:shock:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Big, heavy and very confortable to use, with a Suzo 500 and concave pushbuttons.
More shots and info here: http://www.alvarezeninternet.com/battlebox/

My previous panel, with a T-stik, and an unique design.
More shots and info here: http://www.alvarezeninternet.com/silverandblue/

I made this one for a friend of mine, also with a Suzo stick, decoration, etc.
More shots and info here: http://www.alvarezeninternet.com/Ikarug ... index.html
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

Elaphe wrote:Image
Big, heavy and very confortable to use, with a Suzo 500 and concave pushbuttons.
More shots and info here: http://www.alvarezeninternet.com/battlebox/
that may be the nicest finish on a stick i have ever seen :shock:
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Elaphe your Ikaruga stick is just amazing! The finish looks so perfect i can't believe it :)

There have been a lot of jaw dropping sticks since i posted mine, i especially like the crazy sensible soccer one. I never thought of using two different sticks for the same thing :)

Here is some pictures of my first custom stick. Turned out pretty good for the time. Stick and buttons are Sanwa, and since i didn't have a fav arcade game atm. i used an old Linkin Park poster for artwork instead. It looks a bit like something from a mech shooter i think :p. I don't feel like resizing so i'm just gonna link to the pictures instead:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ ... 1253140485
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ ... 1253140789
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/ ... c00423.jpg
ASK

Post by ASK »

Not an especially high quality picture. Took it with my iPhone under less than ideal lighting. Contains a wireless X360 pad :)

Taken before I got the final buttons put in, shows off the colour a bit better:

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Looks good :) How do you charge it then?
ASK

Post by ASK »

Konsolkongen wrote:Looks good :) How do you charge it then?
Have a double-a battery holder soldered to the pad, just pop open the bottom and charge them on their own :) Not ideal, but less work than doing something crazy.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

I love that battlebox...

here's my virtua stick mod.
=/
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

Finished this today:

Got the case from QCF, JLW, Seimitsu's, and axis adapter.
“What did I had done!”
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

the power of the BATTLE BOX!!!
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
TG-16

Post by TG-16 »

Man some of these sticks are giving me some good ideas! Nice :)
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Modded my SF4 SE stick this weekend in anticipation of Mushi-Futari.

All Seimitsu parts.

By mirkvid at 2009-10-03

I have tons more I'll share later.
Wavey Pavey

Post by Wavey Pavey »

That looks fantastic mate, well done.

Love the colours, and the little Cave logo :)
xavierjesus

Post by xavierjesus »

MC TE Stick, Taito retro special. Low-rent? Fcuk yeah! But that oh so 1970's formica feeling just puts a smile on my face...

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

xavierjesus wrote:MC TE Stick, Taito retro special. Low-rent? Fcuk yeah! But that oh so 1970's formica feeling just puts a smile on my face...

Very cool.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
undamned

Post by undamned »

mirkvid wrote:[Mushi-Futari stick]
Excellent!
xavierjesus wrote:[Taito retro special stick]
Oh, man, that is sicknasty! Got my little Taito crush all stirred up :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Where are you guys getting your Fightstick SE artworks? I looked over at SRK but all I can find are SFIV-themed works and blatant anime boobs, which aren't that interesting to me anymore, and certainly not what I would feel comfortable transporting on a bus out in the open.

mirkvid, I might consider using that design if you don't mind, it looks great and I have those exact purple Seimitsu buttons & LS-32-01 on the way with the purple bubbletop.

But if anyone else has some more subtle or shooter-themed templates, I'd like to look at a couple more before I head to Kinko's. I also have a set of red buttons & balltop in my same order if that makes a difference...
xavierjesus

Post by xavierjesus »

@ emphatic/undamned, cheers hombres!
@ iatneh, have a look over at joystick vault.

Now, an old mod from the Killercabs (RIP) days, but perhaps my favourite custom hack to date. The Triggerheart DC stick:

All Sanwa.

Ciao!
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

iatneH wrote:Where are you guys getting your Fightstick SE artworks? I looked over at SRK but all I can find are SFIV-themed works and blatant anime boobs, which aren't that interesting to me anymore, and certainly not what I would feel comfortable transporting on a bus out in the open.

mirkvid, I might consider using that design if you don't mind, it looks great and I have those exact purple Seimitsu buttons & LS-32-01 on the way with the purple bubbletop.

Go for it. I found the SE template on MadCatz website...if I remember, I'll post a link when I get home

EDIT: link to the file can be found here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162653 in the OP
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

Strider77 wrote: Image
What did you use for your pcbs (toodles' upcb?) Also, whats that hole to the left of the serial port - is it for a DC memory card?
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Modded Hori EX2 case. Old Hori PCB removed, replaced with a PS1 Digital PCB. None of the top buttons are functional, just super glued in to fill space, used spare 24mm Hori buttons (from my HRAP EX) on the back for Start and Select. Still using Hori shaft and stick assembly, though the spring was replaced with one from a JLF, microswitches changed to Omrons (same as in JLF), and a Sanwa square gate added, so it's basically a mini-JLF, though the shorter shaft and actuator makes the spring nice and tight, more like a seimitsu. Blue/Red theme wasn't exactly planned, it was just what I had lying around, luckily MOSS had perfect wallpaper for Raiden IV that fit the theme perfectly :D

mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Nice Raiden stick. I like how you matched the colors of the ships with the buttons and stick.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

This is my first attempt at a custom stick. LS-32-01, PS-14-GN (+ 3x blue DN on the front) and a Cthulhu board which made it incredibly simple to wire. Daisy chaining the ground wire probably proved to be the biggest challenge :lol:

iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Here's my first big stick mod. SFIV Fightstick SE for Xbox360. I took somebody's Vewlix artwork and re-coloured it. I just wanted something plain.

I guess I don't really have a good aesthetic sense, since it kind of looks a bit crappy like a clown nose or something, definitely not as good as I was hoping, not to mention the red on the printout became darker than I thought. Maybe it would be better if the outer case were black also.

I also ended up cutting out the holes for the screws, since my laminate peeled when I tried it the first time without the holes.

Stick is a Seimitsu LS-32-02 (I ordered a LS-32-01 and this came instead... any difference?), buttons are Seimitsu PS-14-GN.

I'm not done with this yet though, I plan to install a PS1 and/or Saturn PCB inside. I guess I might finally get around to my DC Agetec mod sometime as well...
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

All the LS-32-01 PCBs say LS-32-02 now. There's been no mistake.
undamned

Post by undamned »

iatneH wrote:Here's my first big stick mod. ...I guess I don't really have a good aesthetic sense, since it kind of looks a bit crappy like a clown nose or something, definitely not as good as I was hoping, not to mention the red on the printout became darker than I thought. Maybe it would be better if the outer case were black also.
I think it looks awesome! :D Good job!
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Thanks UD, I guess I could like it more.

Yesterday was stick modding day, I woke up in the morning and worked on these two sticks for about 14 hours, added to maybe around 8 hours or so I worked on these sticks previously.

The Fightstick SE got some PS1 and NeoGeo treatment, I have to swap functionality by opening up the unit and plugging the stick and buttons into a different set of headers. I've already added headers in place for a Saturn controller PCB but I don't have any available SS controllers to sacrifice.

Image Image

Next is an Agetec Dreamcast stick. OMFG this stick is such a MF-PITA-SOB to mod. LS-32 with PS-14-KN buttons, and a similar multi-console treatment with internal USB, and the rest going uncompressed to a HD-15 connector - I'll make external adaptor boxes if I need them. I already made a NeoGeo cable by chopping the end off a monitor cable and re-connecting a DB-15. I think I like this simple colour scheme more than than the Fightstick.

Image Image Image
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I wonder how hard it is to swap the faceplate on an FSTE? I want to swap it out for a Tetris: The Grand Master 3 faceplate.