GBI/Swiss 240p issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
teerazzler

GBI/Swiss 240p issue

Post by teerazzler »

Hello! I recently got the GBI on a Gamecube memory card, with Swiss on it as well. I forced 240p through Swiss, and unfortunately it is running in what I am presuming to be 480i still since it is interlaced and is flickering. I am using a PVM 20M2U and using an S-Video cable for my Gamecube. I need to use Windwaker to boot up GBI and swiss through the memory card. Also when scrolling (in a game like Metroid Fusion) there is what appears to be ghosting, where there will be a fainter double image of the ground following behind it. It looks really bad and is very distracting. I have looked all over the internet on forums and asked the person who loaded GBI and Swiss onto my card, and I can't find an answer. I don't know what to do! Everyone here seems like they know what they're talking about, so I thought maybe someone could help. Please let me know, thanks!
Konsolkongen

Re: GBI/Swiss 240p issue

Post by Konsolkongen »

I think the problem is the version of Swiss you are using. I'm using the High Fidelity XRGB version of GBI because it's 240p, has the chroma correction and no stuttering, but the latest version af swiss forces this to 480p (component cables) and the result is really ugly.

https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/releases

I just picked a random older release (682) and it works great using that. Please give that a try :)
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Konsolkongen wrote:I think the problem is the version of Swiss you are using. I'm using the High Fidelity XRGB version of GBI because it's 240p, has the chroma correction and no stuttering, but the latest version af swiss forces this to 480p (component cables) and the result is really ugly.

https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/releases

I just picked a random older release (682) and it works great using that. Please give that a try :)

I am using Swiss 0.5, and when I go into settings into the memory card, it takes me to the "global settings" for Swiss, not for the GBI interface. I have no visible way of accessing the GBI interface (if there even is one) to force 240p through GBI, which is what I was instructed to do. What I have read in other forums is that it is not possible to have Swiss running after loading the GBI player, meaning that you can't run two programs at the same time on a Gamecube memory card like you normally could on an SD loader. Please let me know if that is true or not.

The faint double image running behind objects is really, really annoying and if anyone could suggest a solution that would help immensely. Thank you!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Please try downloading an older version of Swiss. You use that to launch the GBI software, and in my case I don't have to configure anything in Swiss before doing so. The file called gbihf-xrgb.dol+cli is the one I'm using and it's already 240p natively. It's just the newest version of Swiss forces this into 480p for some reason, and I found that an earlier version doesn't and that solved my issue :)
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Konsolkongen wrote:I just picked a random older release (682) and it works great using that. Please give that a try :)
Yeah sorry about that. .dol+cli file handling broke in r775.
teerazzler wrote:The faint double image running behind objects is really, really annoying and if anyone could suggest a solution that would help immensely. Thank you!
This is the frame rate conversion. It only work on sample-and-hold displays.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Konsolkongen wrote:Please try downloading an older version of Swiss. You use that to launch the GBI software, and in my case I don't have to configure anything in Swiss before doing so. The file called gbihf-xrgb.dol+cli is the one I'm using and it's already 240p natively. It's just the newest version of Swiss forces this into 480p for some reason, and I found that an earlier version doesn't and that solved my issue :)
Oh okay, I will give that a shot then. Any suggestions to fix the faint shadowing double image that follows objects as the screen scrolls left or right?
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Extrems wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:I just picked a random older release (682) and it works great using that. Please give that a try :)
Yeah sorry about that. .dol+cli file handling broke in r775.
teerazzler wrote:The faint double image running behind objects is really, really annoying and if anyone could suggest a solution that would help immensely. Thank you!
This is the frame rate conversion. It only work on sample-and-hold displays.

I don't know what a sample and hold display is, but I am using a PVM 20M2U monitor. I don't think the monitor I am using is a sample and hold display. The issue that I am describing is a faint shadowing that follows an object when I go left or right, I don't know what the technical term is but it is annoying as hell.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

You have to use a different edition. There's no option to disable frame rate conversion as that was the entire point of making Game Boy Interface.